Can NT Workstation share a Drive?

peach

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
<font color=blue>I am somewhat embarrased that I have gone this long running a network with out knowing this answer, but can the workstation version of NT 4.0 share a drive over a network?

I use NT 4.0 with sp6a as a CAD workstation on a network full of 9x machines using NetBui protocol and a 10/100 hub. We use an IP sharing router with a DSL modem for Internet. I have never needed to share my data files over the network, but everytime I tried just for the sake of it, I became lost and never was not able to. When trying to access my drives from a 9x machine with the NT drive set as shared, full access, I needed a password I had never set.

I just read in another thread that I have to enable the "guest" account. I just tried that and NT replied it could not find usrmgr.exe and that I have to have the Server edition of NT to do that. <font color=black>"For more information about User Manager, click the Help menu in User Manager. <i>This is only available with Windows NT Server.</i>"<font color=blue>

I can't imagine that the workstation NT doesn't allow to share a drive!? Is this true?

:cool: <i><font color=blue>on company time....</i>

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
<font color=green> "...For more information about User Manager, click the Help menu in User Manager.</font color=green><font color=blue><i> This is only available with Windows NT Server."</font color=blue></i>

You must log in as Administrator.
Go to Start>Programs>Administrative tools (Common)>User Manager.

An NT workstation can share resources with Win9x computer including directories (drives also, but better to share directories instead of drives on a network). In a workgroup, each NT workstation that shares resources must have a user account for the user (don t matter from NT or Win9x workstation) trying to use the resource or, yes, the guest account (powerless group with minimal access to the system) must be enabled.
Server service must start on NT workstation. If the binding from the Server service on NT workstation to the NetBEUI protocol is disabled, client computers that are configured only with the NetBEUI can t establish network session with the NT workstation. (The situation is different for a NT Server.)

Password is needed on Win 9x, because NT workstations operate in Workgroup with share-level security, in which the share itself is assigned a password by default. However, can also use user-level security when a NT Server is present, and domain security on Domain.

Special characters (#, @) in assigned names sometimes cause problems when attaching to shared resources.

Ron_Jeremy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Nick (or anyone else),

I need some help regarding sharing that maybe you could help me with. I have multiple physical drives (with multiple partitions each) all running NTFS except 1 drive, which is using FAT16. There is only 1 account on my NT4WS machine (the Admin account which I use as my personal account), plus the guest account.

I discovered that I cannot share out any files on my FAT16 partitions. No option to share is available when viewing the properties of the drive, partition or files, only the "General" tab is availble giving file name/size info. The "Security" tab is absent. Any ideas?

Also, I haven't shared anything else out but when I go to permissions on any other directory, drive etc they all say "everyone > full control" as the type of access. Why is this so?

I have a habit of disabling as many services as possible and maybe believe I went too far. The only services that run are:
>eventlog
>PnP
>Protected Storage
>RPC Service
>TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
>Server
>WStation

If this is of any relevance, my Network properties contain only the TCP/IP protocol and these network services:
>Computer Browser
>NetBIOS Interface
>RPC Configuration
>Server
>WStation

Any help offered will be most appreciated.

Cheers,

Ron_Jeremy

If you loan a friend $20 & never see them again, it was worth it.

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
That thing, probably, an WinNT machine automatically creates hidden shares, one of them is the root of computer’s drive C$, (or other similar as well).

Those Access Through Share Permissions (ATS) exist whether using FAT or NTFS and are completely independent from any local NTFS permissions. The only one thing is those ATS permission apply to entire share; you cannot assign file-level permissions through sharing on FAT, although you can if the share resides on NTFS.

No Access overrides all other permissions on (hidden also) share, even Full Control what you can see, although still allows to connect to the share, but nothing shows up in File Manager except the message “You do not have permissions to access this directory”.