Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows 7 Not recognizing graphics card

Last response: in Windows 7
November 16, 2009 4:50:08 AM

Okay so I just install windows 7 32bit(clean install, not upgrade) and it's not recognizing my graphics card. All it says is "Standard VGA adapter".

I've tried installing drivers but it never works and I also tried uninstalling the standard vga adapter via device manager too but it reinstalled itself.

Any solutions? :??:  Btw my graphics card is a ATI Radeon xpress 200.

Way back when windows 7 was in beta and i was a beta tester everything worked fine.
a c 215 $ Windows 7
a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2009 4:55:05 AM

How have you been installing them? Running the setup.exe for the Catalyst driver? Or installing via the device manager by manually picking the file from the extracted catalyst installer?
m
l
November 16, 2009 6:16:58 PM

The_Prophecy said:
How have you been installing them? Running the setup.exe for the Catalyst driver? Or installing via the device manager by manually picking the file from the extracted catalyst installer?

I tried both and they both failed. :[ :( 
m
l
Related resources
a c 215 $ Windows 7
a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2009 7:28:31 PM

Do you have another computer you could put the card in to see whether that will properly detect the video? Seems right now like there is something wrong with the card...
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2009 8:47:19 PM

If you have no other PC to use as a test bed - try running GPUz to see if it can correctly identify the card. If it shows up ok then its likely to be a software problem.

m
l
November 16, 2009 9:01:51 PM

The_Prophecy said:
Do you have another computer you could put the card in to see whether that will properly detect the video? Seems right now like there is something wrong with the card...

But it was working fine when I was using windows xp.... :[

And no I don't have another system to test with.
m
l
November 16, 2009 9:05:05 PM

ulysses35 said:
If you have no other PC to use as a test bed - try running GPUz to see if it can correctly identify the card. If it shows up ok then its likely to be a software problem.

So should I reinstall win7 again?
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2009 9:06:15 PM

Ati radeon express 200 is an old onboard chip. There are no Win 7 drivers listed under 'embedded' on the ATI driver site for the ATI Radeon Express 200. That onboard chip is not compatible with Windows 7. If your MB has a PCIE slot, perhaps install a suitable graphics vard in the slot.

The Radeon express 200 driver is listed here under 'embedded'. XP driver only.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

EDIT: I noticed there are Vista drivers for the RE 200 integrated chipset. Try those. Vista>Integrated>radeon Express 200.
a c 395 $ Windows 7
a c 705 U Graphics card
November 16, 2009 9:28:20 PM

BADGE is right on the money!
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2009 9:33:28 PM

Yeah, I have had a system with the Radeon Express 200 chipset running as a workstation for many years. I also repaired one for an employee. That Vista driver will likely work with Windows 7.
m
l
November 16, 2009 9:37:37 PM

badge said:
Yeah, I have had a system with the Radeon Express 200 chipset running as a workstation for many years. I also repaired one for an employee. That Vista driver will likely work with Windows 7.

So how should I install it? Just clicking on the setup?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2009 9:41:34 PM

Yeah, go to the ATI driver page, use the Vista driver 32 or 64 whatever win 7 application matches. The RE 200 chipset/driver is located under 'embedded'. You should see it there. Install it.

EDIT driver is under integrated.
m
l
November 16, 2009 9:47:02 PM

When in doubt, cleck out the graphic card driver page for most recent drivers - from XP Pro to Win7 demands this in some cases!

Lots of brain power here! :D 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2009 9:49:34 PM

silverron said:
When in doubt, cleck out the graphic card driver page for most recent drivers - from XP Pro to Win7 demands this in some cases!

Lots of brain power here! :D 

OP does not have graphics card. The MB has an onboard integrated radeon Express 200 chipset.

Edit Also, the chipset is old enough to not have had a driver update for years. See legacy support.
m
l
November 16, 2009 9:53:23 PM

badge said:
Ati radeon express 200 is an old onboard chip. There are no Win 7 drivers listed under 'embedded' on the ATI driver site for the ATI Radeon Express 200. That onboard chip is not compatible with Windows 7. If your MB has a PCIE slot, perhaps install a suitable graphics vard in the slot.

The Radeon express 200 driver is listed here under 'embedded'. XP driver only.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

EDIT: I noticed there are Vista drivers for the RE 200 integrated chipset. Try those. Vista>Integrated>radeon Express 200.

THANKS ALOT!!!! :D DDDDD It worked.
Selecting you as best answer.
Thanks again! :) 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2009 10:00:58 PM

Your welcome.
m
l
a c 395 $ Windows 7
a c 705 U Graphics card
November 16, 2009 10:50:31 PM

great answer badge!
m
l
September 22, 2012 5:42:22 AM

thats all fine and dandy untill you try to clone monitor and tv. Mine wont allow me to use 2 displays at the same time wheather it be clone or extend whenever i try to apply clone it tells me display setting could not be saved
m
l
December 31, 2012 1:58:21 AM

I can't find the driver for ATI Radeon Xpress 200 in the link that you've provided. Is it possible that it's been removed? I'm experiencing the same problem with my ATI Radeon Xpress 200 display adapter. Windows 7 Professional SP1 doesn't recognize it, so I'm stuck with a very low resolution.

I've tried several drivers from AMD website, XP and Vista, neither of them helped.
m
l
!