[SOLVED] MacBook vs Macbook Pro for College Student?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjackowens

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
I need a MacBook for college. I mainly surf the web and write papers, but I prefer something with a little power, rather than something lightweight but can't do any serious work. I am considering either a 2007 MacBook Pro 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 1GB of RAM or a MacBook 2008 with a 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 2GB of RAM.

My main concern is that the MacBook Pro has worse specs so it will be quite a bit slower. The MacBook does have an extra 1GB of RAM.

What would you guys recommend? A premium aluminum MacBook Pro with older specs OR a newer (better condition) polycarbonate MacBook with slightly better specs? Which holds it value better?

Solution
Go with the Macbook Pro as a quick search on google found me some specs. Its 15" and the graphics card inside of it is much more powerful compared to the rubbish in the plastic macbooks. However, on the overall it is still a bad purchase as battery life will obviously be horrible due to it being a second-hand product.

Other than that the ram can be upgraded quite easily without problem. I seriously do not recommend you buy these macbooks that you have found on craigslist.

Save up some cash and you can get a reasonable windows laptop on newegg anywhere from $300 and up.

rjackowens

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012

I need to reiterate my question. All I need is a computer for is generally surfing the web and writing documents. I already own a very nice custom desktop which handles all of my intensive computer needs. For college however, I don't feel the need to go spend a grand on a laptop I won't use that often.

Chairman Ray

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
When you say that you need something with a little more power, what specifically are you looking for? If you are just browsing the internet and writing documents, a netbook would be ideal, or a lower end laptop.

Also, what are the prices on the macbooks that you are currently considering?

rjackowens

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012

I want something slightly more powerful than a netbook or lower end laptop. I might make a PowerPoint or even edit a small video occasionally. I also prefer quality computers, and Apple is known for making very nice computers. Quality is really important to me.

Both models I described are under $300. I am looking on Craigslist and eBay and am getting very good results.

crapfacednoob

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Go with the Macbook Pro as a quick search on google found me some specs. Its 15" and the graphics card inside of it is much more powerful compared to the rubbish in the plastic macbooks. However, on the overall it is still a bad purchase as battery life will obviously be horrible due to it being a second-hand product.

Other than that the ram can be upgraded quite easily without problem. I seriously do not recommend you buy these macbooks that you have found on craigslist.

Save up some cash and you can get a reasonable windows laptop on newegg anywhere from $300 and up.

Solution

rjackowens

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012

Thanks alot, dude. You gave me tons of good advice

Status
Not open for further replies.