Scanning large newspaper pages on an A4 scanner

My Canon FB630U has been a reliable and trusty tool. Until now I've never
needed anything more than the software that came in the box -- admittedly a
bit long in the tooth by today's standards and the scanning tools built into
Microsoft Windows XP and Office XP. But I have a problem. I'm a journalist
and I've been scanning my newspaper clippings -- basically to save space but
I've been in this game for 25 years and some of the old papers are getting
fragile. My problem is scanning tabloid and broadsheet newspaper stories on
an A4 sized scanner. It's physically possible to scan stories by folding the
original, but I don't know how to stitch them back together afterwards. Are
there simple tools for this, or do I need to buy something more
sophisitcated?
4 answers Last reply
More about scanning large newspaper pages scanner

    On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 20:44:01 +1000, "wfb"
    <williamfrancisbennett@yahoo.com.au> found these unused words floating
    about:

    >My Canon FB630U has been a reliable and trusty tool. Until now I've never
    >needed anything more than the software that came in the box -- admittedly a
    >bit long in the tooth by today's standards and the scanning tools built into
    >Microsoft Windows XP and Office XP. But I have a problem. I'm a journalist
    >and I've been scanning my newspaper clippings -- basically to save space but
    >I've been in this game for 25 years and some of the old papers are getting
    >fragile. My problem is scanning tabloid and broadsheet newspaper stories on
    >an A4 sized scanner. It's physically possible to scan stories by folding the
    >original, but I don't know how to stitch them back together afterwards. Are
    >there simple tools for this, or do I need to buy something more
    >sophisitcated?

    Most graphics programs today have layers and means for 'stitching'. You
    could also use one of the free (or not free) panorama tools.

    Would Photoshop give me usable TIF files?

    "J. A. Mc." <jaSPAMc@gbr.online.com> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 20:44:01 +1000, "wfb"
    > <williamfrancisbennett@yahoo.com.au> found these unused words floating
    > about:
    >
    > >My Canon FB630U has been a reliable and trusty tool. Until now I've never
    > >needed anything more than the software that came in the box -- admittedly
    > >bit long in the tooth by today's standards and the scanning tools built
    into
    > >Microsoft Windows XP and Office XP. But I have a problem. I'm a
    journalist
    > >and I've been scanning my newspaper clippings -- basically to save space
    but
    > >I've been in this game for 25 years and some of the old papers are
    getting
    > >fragile. My problem is scanning tabloid and broadsheet newspaper stories
    on
    > >an A4 sized scanner. It's physically possible to scan stories by folding
    the
    > >original, but I don't know how to stitch them back together afterwards.
    Are
    > >there simple tools for this, or do I need to buy something more
    > >sophisitcated?
    > >
    > Most graphics programs today have layers and means for 'stitching'. You
    > could also use one of the free (or not free) panorama tools.

  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 12:31:12 +1000, "wfb"
    <williamfrancisbennett@yahoo.com.au> found these unused words floating
    about:

    >"J. A. Mc." <jaSPAMc@gbr.online.com> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 20:44:01 +1000, "wfb"
    >> <williamfrancisbennett@yahoo.com.au> found these unused words floating
    >> about:
    >>
    >> >My Canon FB630U has been a reliable and trusty tool. Until now I've never
    >> >needed anything more than the software that came in the box -- admittedly
    >> >bit long in the tooth by today's standards and the scanning tools built
    >into
    >> >Microsoft Windows XP and Office XP. But I have a problem. I'm a
    >journalist
    >> >and I've been scanning my newspaper clippings -- basically to save space
    >but
    >> >I've been in this game for 25 years and some of the old papers are
    >getting
    >> >fragile. My problem is scanning tabloid and broadsheet newspaper stories
    >on
    >> >an A4 sized scanner. It's physically possible to scan stories by folding
    >the
    >> >original, but I don't know how to stitch them back together afterwards.
    >Are
    >> >there simple tools for this, or do I need to buy something more
    >> >sophisitcated?
    >> >
    >> Most graphics programs today have layers and means for 'stitching'. You
    >> could also use one of the free (or not free) panorama tools.
    >>
    >Would Photoshop give me usable TIF files?

    Absolutely! I scan old newspapers for my website. The 'originals' are stored
    as tif for interchange. I work and print from psd and web with jpg.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    Try using Arcsoft's Panorama maker. Very easy to use and does a wonderful
    job. www.arcsoft.com

    "wfb" <williamfrancisbennett@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
    > My Canon FB630U has been a reliable and trusty tool. Until now I've never
    > needed anything more than the software that came in the box -- admittedly
    > bit long in the tooth by today's standards and the scanning tools built
    into
    > Microsoft Windows XP and Office XP. But I have a problem. I'm a journalist
    > and I've been scanning my newspaper clippings -- basically to save space
    but
    > I've been in this game for 25 years and some of the old papers are getting
    > fragile. My problem is scanning tabloid and broadsheet newspaper stories
    on
    > an A4 sized scanner. It's physically possible to scan stories by folding
    the
    > original, but I don't know how to stitch them back together afterwards.
    Are
    > there simple tools for this, or do I need to buy something more
    > sophisitcated?

Scanners Windows XP Peripherals