Scanning large newspaper pages on an A4 scanner

My Canon FB630U has been a reliable and trusty tool. Until now I've never
needed anything more than the software that came in the box -- admittedly a
bit long in the tooth by today's standards and the scanning tools built into
Microsoft Windows XP and Office XP. But I have a problem. I'm a journalist
and I've been scanning my newspaper clippings -- basically to save space but
I've been in this game for 25 years and some of the old papers are getting
fragile. My problem is scanning tabloid and broadsheet newspaper stories on
an A4 sized scanner. It's physically possible to scan stories by folding the
original, but I don't know how to stitch them back together afterwards. Are
there simple tools for this, or do I need to buy something more
sophisitcated?

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 20:44:01 +1000, "wfb"
<williamfrancisbennett@yahoo.com.au> found these unused words floating
about:

>My Canon FB630U has been a reliable and trusty tool. Until now I've never
>needed anything more than the software that came in the box -- admittedly a
>bit long in the tooth by today's standards and the scanning tools built into
>Microsoft Windows XP and Office XP. But I have a problem. I'm a journalist
>and I've been scanning my newspaper clippings -- basically to save space but
>I've been in this game for 25 years and some of the old papers are getting
>fragile. My problem is scanning tabloid and broadsheet newspaper stories on
>an A4 sized scanner. It's physically possible to scan stories by folding the
>original, but I don't know how to stitch them back together afterwards. Are
>there simple tools for this, or do I need to buy something more
>sophisitcated?

Most graphics programs today have layers and means for 'stitching'. You
could also use one of the free (or not free) panorama tools.

Would Photoshop give me usable TIF files?

"J. A. Mc." <jaSPAMc@gbr.online.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 20:44:01 +1000, "wfb"
> <williamfrancisbennett@yahoo.com.au> found these unused words floating
> about:
>
> >My Canon FB630U has been a reliable and trusty tool. Until now I've never
> >needed anything more than the software that came in the box -- admittedly
> >bit long in the tooth by today's standards and the scanning tools built
into
> >Microsoft Windows XP and Office XP. But I have a problem. I'm a
journalist
> >and I've been scanning my newspaper clippings -- basically to save space
but
> >I've been in this game for 25 years and some of the old papers are
getting
> >fragile. My problem is scanning tabloid and broadsheet newspaper stories
on
> >an A4 sized scanner. It's physically possible to scan stories by folding
the
> >original, but I don't know how to stitch them back together afterwards.
Are
> >there simple tools for this, or do I need to buy something more
> >sophisitcated?
> >
> Most graphics programs today have layers and means for 'stitching'. You
> could also use one of the free (or not free) panorama tools.

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 12:31:12 +1000, "wfb"
<williamfrancisbennett@yahoo.com.au> found these unused words floating
about:

>"J. A. Mc." <jaSPAMc@gbr.online.com> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 20:44:01 +1000, "wfb"
>> <williamfrancisbennett@yahoo.com.au> found these unused words floating
>> about:
>>
>> >My Canon FB630U has been a reliable and trusty tool. Until now I've never
>> >needed anything more than the software that came in the box -- admittedly
>> >bit long in the tooth by today's standards and the scanning tools built
>into
>> >Microsoft Windows XP and Office XP. But I have a problem. I'm a
>journalist
>> >and I've been scanning my newspaper clippings -- basically to save space
>but
>> >I've been in this game for 25 years and some of the old papers are
>getting
>> >fragile. My problem is scanning tabloid and broadsheet newspaper stories
>on
>> >an A4 sized scanner. It's physically possible to scan stories by folding
>the
>> >original, but I don't know how to stitch them back together afterwards.
>Are
>> >there simple tools for this, or do I need to buy something more
>> >sophisitcated?
>> >
>> Most graphics programs today have layers and means for 'stitching'. You
>> could also use one of the free (or not free) panorama tools.
>>
>Would Photoshop give me usable TIF files?

Absolutely! I scan old newspapers for my website. The 'originals' are stored
as tif for interchange. I work and print from psd and web with jpg.

Try using Arcsoft's Panorama maker. Very easy to use and does a wonderful
job. www.arcsoft.com