my hard drive is half the size which it's supposed to b

Starmonger

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
i paid for a 250gig 16mb western digital caviar but when i installed windows it seems to only be a 130gig one. just wondered if actually it's supposed to be like that or seomthing? Also the hard drive i bought as an OEM so it had no box/manual or drivers with it. thanks

go to WD website and download their data lifeguard tools. Use this to set it up. You may need to partition it to set it up fully, although I'll stand corrected on this if anyone else knows anything else.

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
i paid for a 250gig 16mb western digital caviar but when i installed windows it seems to only be a 130gig one. just wondered if actually it's supposed to be like that or seomthing? Also the hard drive i bought as an OEM so it had no box/manual or drivers with it. thanks

Only Windows 2K SP4 and Win XP Service Pack 1A or later support LBA48 - drives over 130 gigs. You are probably running XP with no service packs.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006

Only Windows 2K SP4 and Win XP Service Pack 1A or later support LBA48 - drives over 130 gigs. You are probably running XP with no service packs.

Yep. Common problem. Install SP2 and your problems will go away.