Help! I'm dumber than I thought

Kosko

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
So there was a time when I thought I was smart and new about computers, but that time has past and I know now that I know nothing. Anyways, in summary, I ordered the parts put them together and it didn't work.

P5B Deluxe Motherboard
e6600 C2D Chip
X1900XT Graphics Card
SATA harddrive
DVD reader
2 gig corsair ddr2 800 memory
GameXStream Power Supply
Zalman CN9500

So as of right now, I have the 24 pin power plugged in, the 4 pin 12v power for CPU 1 plugged in, 1 stick of the memory, the chasis cables. One thing I noticed is the Zalman is 3 pin and the main cpu fan mobo side is 4 pin.

So when I go to start it up the fans will spin for about a half second and then stop. Also the blue LED on the mobo will click red for a half second as well. No beeps, no squeells. It just all turns off on itself.

I could use as much help as anyone can give. I have a feeling it could be the jumpers, but I don't know much about those. I think this should be a pretty awesome machine once completed, so I could really use the help. Thanks everyone.

Sounds like you need to disable the FOC [Fan Off Control] in the CMOS setup, but make sure when she fires up the cooling fans are running and if not shut her back down immediately.

FOC or similar control is usually found in the system health section of the CMOS.

Kosko

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
thanks i will try that. But, how do I get into the bios to change the fan settings when the computer won't even turn on? Theres a jumper to reset the internal clock which involves removing the battery, but I'm sure thats not what you're speaking of. Thanks again.

Thrstbster6

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2006
Take every thing out of the case and place MB on a safe surface to work with. Then plug on needed compnoted into it to make it run on Video Card Ram and CPU all outside of case. If it boots add one componet at a time until you figure out which one is not working. If it doesnt boot then you havea bad board and should RMA it. If it does boot and you get it back in teh case and it doesnt work after its back in the case check to make sure you are not grounding the board out . Try it without a CPU or use a seprate power sorce for the CPU fan and not the on on the MB.

Good Luck I hate waiting on RMA's

Agreed. Unplug everything on the mobo, except the Ram/CPU and video card. The error sounds like a CPU problem though. If after all that it still gives you some issues, remove the CPU and Heatsink, then remove the compound and reaply, then reseat the CPU and heatsink... try again.

thanks i will try that. But, how do I get into the bios to change the fan settings when the computer won't even turn on? Theres a jumper to reset the internal clock which involves removing the battery, but I'm sure thats not what you're speaking of. Thanks again.

Its kicked off from some protective feature, you'll have to clear and reset the CMOS to restart it, follow your manuals proceedure for clearing the CMOS, but first make sure the cpu fan M/B header is properly connected to to the 3 pin setup you have by using the aligning tab to properly orient the 4 to 3 pin connection.

Also double check the power Supply connection points to the M/B.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
It shouldn't matter about the 3pin 4 pin difference, but you should still plug it in. I know some mobo's have problems booting if they don't detect a CPU fan due to some internal failsafes or whatnot.

Double check you plugged the fan pin in correctly... worth a shot.

Kosko

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Rechecked the fan, its definitly on the 3 correct pins, but the 4th is still just sticking out there. I cleared the CMOS by taking out the battery and reseting the jumper and then returning it to the correct config. Still does the same thing, starts for a super short time than goes back into sleep mode. Seriously, thanks for the help guys. Keep that advice coming! :)

Therlian

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
It sounds to me like you are either having a power issue; maybe you hooked something up wrong or did not connect all the plugs, or a mobo issue.

I agree with Thrstbster6 that you should check the mobo and make sure you don't have a support grounding out the board on the back of it somewhere; I've seen that issue cause this behavior.

Kosko

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Guys I'm making progress!

Disassembled everything. Laid the motherboard on the table, on the bag, with only motherboard connected, no HSF. Touched the two pins with a screwdriver, bam it kicks on. Beautifully. Hooked up memory and graphics card. Still worked. X1900XT is crazy loud, but that can be addressed later. So I'm pretty sure its happening in the case grounding out somewhere, but honestly I'm not really sure what that means.

Guys I'm making progress!

Disassembled everything. Laid the motherboard on the table, on the bag, with only motherboard connected, no HSF. Touched the two pins with a screwdriver, bam it kicks on. Beautifully. Hooked up memory and graphics card. Still worked. X1900XT is crazy loud, but that can be addressed later. So I'm pretty sure its happening in the case grounding out somewhere, but honestly I'm not really sure what that means.

Make sure your case only has mounting studs for the exact M/B mounting holes and theres not a stray one out there touching the bottom of the M/B.

ir_efrem

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
cut lil peices of electrical tape and put small holes in them (big enough to get a screw through)

put them on the underside and top side on the motherboard where the screws are - if you want to go high tech they sell these lil washers that are made of a fiberous material just for this type of application....

i always, without exception, do this on every build i have ever done... so far never a single power issue

Kosko

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
As of right now the harddrive is formatting and I'm getting set for my all new installs. Also found out that the jumpers on SATA harddrives are more of throttles than they are jumpers. Theres no more master slave issues, just 1.5 gb/s vs 3.0 gb/s, I thought that was prettty interesting. Thanks for all the help guys, this looks to be a great machine.

Oh, can anyone reccomend a quiet fan replacement for the X1900XT?

Kosko

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
haha, i'm still thinking of upgrades. i think getting this just wet the whistle. now i want good audio in's (1/4 inch) for recording purposes; these mounts for the mobo, quieter graphics card fan, smaller case with a window...

TRENDING THREADS