Asus P5W DH, 5.1 surround sound, need help, frustrated

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Guys,

My DVD player recently konked out. I'm trying to use my DVD drive in my PC as an alternative. I've managed to connect a composite cable to my x1900xt, and it works great. I now want to solve the sound problem, but for the love of me, cannot get a proper solution. How the heck do I enjoy 5.1 surround sound support by using my PC to watch movies on my TV. I know this mobo has some sort of 5.1 sound setup, but cant solve the problem.

My dillema - I have 5 speakers that connect to my woofer (my original 5.1 setup for my TV). The wooder is not a 5.1 decoder. The DVD player used to decode the audio, and have 5 cables coming out the back (each having an individual component of the signal), and those 5 cables used to go into the woofer too! Hence, the DVD player decoded the 5.1 signal, split it into it's individual signals, and then the woofer just redistributed them. A lot of wires I know!

Now, with my PC, how the heck and I going to get this right. The PC is about 12ft away from the TV. I dont want to lay stereo to RCA cables (6 of them), coming out the back of the mobo and into the woofer to get it right. Any ideas?

Please help me on this one ASAP. I am really fed up with it, but would love to get it sorted out. How does the digital output work (SPI... somethign or other)? Where would I need to put that in? I am so confused.

Thanks guys! :oops: