Minimum files to work XP Home Ed.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Besides the normal "Clean disk" operation and some obvious data file moving,
I'm trying to get the most space on my C: drive ( I have a slightly older
laptop).

Does anyone out there know or has anyone had the experience of moving,
saving and then deleting some files under the Windows directory (or any
related Program Files subdirectory files) that Windows doesn't use?

For instance I just installed Service pack 2 and now I notice that there is
a subdirectory (C:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\) that takes up nearly half
a gig of space and it seems to be strictly the install cabs. Do I need this
subdirectory? Any other unnecessary files or directories just sitting there
doing nothing and using up space that I could manually remove (save on a CD
for future use, just in case)?

Or should I (can I) move the partition on the physical drive (for the two
logicals - c: and d:) without reformatting or losing anything? However, I'd
like to keep my d: drive as large as possible - I do portable digital audio
recording and the d: drive is where all the audio goes - hence I'd just like
to streamline the c: drive. I really hate to think that I may have to
upgrade my drive, that is if I can (Sony Vaio - 3 yrs. old), I don't think I
have the money for it - who does for that matter?

Thanks in advance.
--
Dave

Hi

For the removal of folders/files after an SP2 upgrade, please have a look at
the following article:

http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=7265&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight

--

Will Denny