Sign in with
Your question

DDR2 667 with MB that supports DDR2 533?

Last response: in Overclocking
October 5, 2006 3:38:45 PM

Hi All,

I just bought an ECS P4M890T-M2 motherboard to use with my Pentium 805 D because of how cheap it was. I have two sticks of DD2 667 memory but the motherboard says it only supports DDR 533 memory. Will my memory still work but just at that slower speed? Also, if it runs at that slower speed will I still be able to overclock the 805D say 10%? I'm sure hoping so as I don't feel like buying more memory. Thanks

Stro
October 5, 2006 4:07:00 PM

:( 

I'm certainly no expert on this. There are a lot more smarter people out there. However, if the motherboard documentation doesn't say it will support that RAM, chances are mighty high it won't work.

You may want to go to the manufacturer's web site to see if there's additional information.

Otherwise I wouldn't risk a catastrophe in which you lose the RAM. mobo & CPU.
October 5, 2006 4:19:09 PM

you should be fine. i had my P4 system running ddr466 but the motherboard only supported ddr400, it underclocked itself but also when i went to overclock the processor it was as ez as turning up the clock because the ram could easily handle the increased speed up to 466 (clock of 233 on my P4). You should enjoy overclocking easily as long as you can properly cool the cpu.
Related resources
October 5, 2006 5:00:24 PM

GinoS, I don't see how having faster RAM than the motherboard was designed for could hurt the MB or CPU. At the worst I would think it just won't detect the memory. I wanted to check though because I'm not 100% positive about this.

Stro
October 5, 2006 5:38:01 PM

this case is actually quite typical among motherboards, for example some don't "officially" support DDR2-800, but everyone today is buying Core 2 Duo along with DDR2-800 so they can overclock the cpu, but overclocking the cpu results in overclocking the ram so even though your motherboard doesn't officially support it you'll still be able to overclock your cpu and as a result your ram will overclock too
October 5, 2006 6:49:50 PM

Thanks for the response guys. Somehow my newly built computer conked out on me after 2 months and I narrowed the problem down to either the CPU or the motherboard. This evening I will be putting it together with the new motherboard so I'm just praying everything goes ok.

Stro
!