Apr 15, 2006
I just read
Tonight they(intel) will say YES or NO
Oh my GOOOOD
We're all doomed if they do

Canai

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
Well, that would suck. What would this mean for people like me who are running Intel and ATI stuff in the same comp? Is my CPU going to transform into a killer robot and do battle with my vid card? I hope so.

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Old news. This article was written yesterday, and there was no announcement. Change the heading of this thread. Misleading.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I highly doubt Intel would buy nVidia. A strategic partnership maybe, or even a kind of agreement, but no full-out buyout.

However, Intel should just buy-out AMD.

CS986

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2005
This, as with the multiple other identical threads, are pointless. Stop spinning your wheels with speculation and wasting everyones time with titles that are all caps and completely midleading. fyi - nvidia is over $10 billion now after their stock jump, thatd be a tough swallow for even Intel.

I just read
Tonight they(intel) will say YES or NO
Oh my GOOOOD
We're all doomed if they do

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
hey hey, what happened to capitalism?

I know it would never happen just because laws and people wouldn't allow it, but if I was Intel and there was nothing blocking me, taking over AMD would be first on my list, shrug.

Either way, the tech world is still consolidating. Asus + Gigabyte, AMD + Intel, HP + Voodoo, Dell + Alienware. Any bets on whats next?

mr_fnord

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
You mean Gigabyte is a company? And all this time I thought it was Greek for 'very hungry'.

And we're all doomed now that HP has the VOODOO! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

mark8987

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
Almost forgot to mention that the progress of CPUs would almost grind to a hault. No competition no need to stress over creating the next major chip.

mpilchfamily, you really need to learn more about business. Firstly, intel buying nvidia would allow them access to all of nvidia's patents that they would need to produce high end gpus. Secondly, even if intel has heaps of money, this doesn't mean that you can buy the expertise and knowledge to build high end gpus. This is a very specialized industry, and those who have developed this knowledge and expertise over many years are already working for companies like ATI and nvidia. Buying the company itself means you can not only save money as you don't have to buy people out of their existing contracts, but you also get all of the intellectual property the company has developed and which does not come with the employees.

Secondly, you say that if Intel bought AMD, the progress of CPUs would almost grind to a halt. No way this would happen. Sure, without competition, prices will likely be higher, and progress may also be slowed to some extent as it isn't a competitive market. However, without AMD as a competitor, Intel would still need to constantly improve their chips in order for people to buy them. If the chips don't improve making people want them, they don't sell new chips and their revenues plummet.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Well, Microsoft is a near monopoly, and they're still developing systems, but I guess there is differences, due to the fact that if they didn't develop new software, then they would have no more revenue.

Chip development would most likely continue as it is, maybe a bit slower, but the benefits of competition is mainly price. But we can also say that it was because of AMD that forced Intel to give up their more gigahertz better buisness model and focus on efficency. Yes, competition is a good thing. But that still doesn't mean that if I was Intel and I had the chance to buy AMD, I wouldn't.

Eh, even if Intel wanted nVidia, I doubt they will actually buy them, especially with all the re-organization they've been doing (forgotten about the 10,000 layoff's already?) Yes, Intel would benefit greatly from nVidia, but is it worth the cost? Intel needs to focus on their core buisness model of selling processors and reclaiming market share before they can branch off more.

But who am I kidding, I'm an EE major, not a econ one.

SciPunk

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
hey hey, what happened to capitalism?

I know it would never happen just because laws and people wouldn't allow it, but if I was Intel and there was nothing blocking me, taking over AMD would be first on my list, shrug.

We saw what happened as a result of capitalism back around the turn of the (2nd to last) century. Sweat shops, child labor, human body parts in packaged meat...

Listen, I'm no red, but unbridled Capitalism is dangerous to human beings.

BTW: I agree, buying out AMD would be a wise move for Intel. But it would be a horrible thing for us consumers. Intel could slow down ther R&D, and increase their prices. What would we, as consumers, do to prevent this? Nothing! They would be the only game in town.

Remember, Capitalims ONLY works with competion.

SciPunk

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Yes, Intel would benefit greatly from nVidia, but is it worth the cost? Intel needs to focus on their core buisness model of selling processors and reclaiming market share before they can branch off more.
But don't forget, Intel makes more than just CPUs and Nvidia makes more than just graphic cards. Both of these companies are in direct competion of one fairly large segment of the market... chipsets.

Whizzard9992

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
This is what I think of your thread.

trash.gif

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Ha! That was pretty funny. Good to see posters on here with a sense of humor. :wink:

No wait the giant pink garbage can is the best so far! :lol:

And if Intel bought AMD......what the hell would they do with it? Buy it to shut its doors? Spend billions just to put them out of business. Hmmm to make it simple I will put it this way. Intell makes round chips for round holes and AMD makes square chips for square holes so if Intell buys AMD they will have to convert the business over to round chips or else they would be competing against its self> What the heck! Now if a merger happened that is a different story.

Like Ford and Mazda, KMart and Sears, Abbot and Costello, chocolate and milk. For Intell to buy AMD to close it down would be like GM buying Toyota and then shutting the entire business down...................madness I tell you!

fpdoc

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
Look at the American auto industry. Complacent and sloppy slow product development bit them in the a-s. Toyota/ Lexus swept into the luxo market 16 years ago and they completely dominate the market now. US makers (even cadillac) make laughable products and are playing a catch up game that's going to take years to close. Even german marques had to get out of their design complacency (ie: shift in Mercedes design with the advent of the 1990 LS400).
Competition breeds innovation, creativity in an effort to edge of and anticipate competition. It swings both ways, equalizes from time to time.\

CPU and tech industry is economic warfare of the most intense type. We all know that war always breeds advancement and innovation.

Flopmouth_Fish

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Well, that would suck. What would this mean for people like me who are running Intel and ATI stuff in the same comp? Is my CPU going to transform into a killer robot and do battle with my vid card? I hope so.

That would be pretty cool, actually.