Alleged K8L Desktop Processor Names

AppzCoder

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
'Antares', 'Arcturus' and 'Spica'

Antares will contain just two cores to Altair's four, each with 512KB of L2 cache and connected to 2MB of shared L3 cache. Antares will support HyperTransport 3.0 clocked at up to 4.2GHz, as per Altair. It's scheduled to ship in Q3 2007.

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2006/10/05/amd_k8l_roadmap/

spanishfleee

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
i really doubt they will clock at 4.2 Ghz i doubt they will be anything above 3.5, also i thought the AM2 wasnt capable of hosting hyper transport 3 not to sure about that though

G

Yup AM2 wont do HT3.0, that's why it will be a slighlty revised AM2+, note the +...

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
So still no really cool names like they used to have? Thunderbird! Katmai (always liked that one, sounded like a ninja or something)...c'mon, now we have 'Spica', 'Kentsfield' and 'Windsor'? Boooring. What about names like 'Danger', 'Uber', 'Evil' or 'Ultraar'?

Just a few suggestions...people are more likely to ignore the fact that AMD CPU's aren't as good if they have the 'Terminator' core!

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
i really doubt they will clock at 4.2 Ghz i doubt they will be anything above 3.5, also i thought the AM2 wasnt capable of hosting hyper transport 3 not to sure about that though

He meant HT3.0 will clock at up to 4.2GHz. As for K8L don't expect anything clocked high.

spanishfleee

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006

He meant HT3.0 will clock at up to 4.2GHz. As for K8L don't expect anything clocked high. ahh thanks, me was a bit confused.

Is it me, or was that a ridiculously short run for AM2? Even if the change to AM2+ is only 2 or 3 years away, this has to be one of the shortest platform lives that I can remember.

PDH-NicFury

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
Dear SickNinja:

If Intel had changed their architecture sooner, rather than trying to make the Pentium 4 work (it was garbage), then AMD wouldn't have been sucking up $$$$$$$$$ the last two years. They had Centrino for at least 3 years before finally making a desktop variation... it's nice that someone finally pulled the plug and gave us something awesome.

PDH-NicFury

PS: being an AMD fanboy, I hope they come up with something spiffy... FAST!

Dear SickNinja:

If Intel had changed their architecture sooner, rather than trying to make the Pentium 4 work (it was garbage), then AMD wouldn't have been sucking up $$$$$$$$$ the last two years. They had Centrino for at least 3 years before finally making a desktop variation... it's nice that someone finally pulled the plug and gave us something awesome.

PDH-NicFury

PS: being an AMD fanboy, I hope they come up with something spiffy... FAST!

I hope they do too. The competition is good for me. And for the advancement of technology period.

G

I agree that AM2+ was really short, but on the other hand, AM2+ will suport AM2 cpu and AM3 should support AM2+ CPu.(if I remeber correclty, that info changed a bit recently)

You just loose the newer features.

I personally dont really care for these socket change. I usually buy the best performing/price platform and a single time. (ex.: i865 with P4C) then use for 2-3 year, then swap it for the new king(C2D with ?RD600?nv680??) while swapping memory/HDs/cooling/vid card as neeeded, and then sell the whole computer to buy a newer platform. I hardly find my self in the position where I would like to drop a newer Cpu in platorm that would cripple it.

Yes those smoother transition can be good but I just dont like the Idea of having a new stuff under performing cause of the old stuff. And lets face it socket change are inevitable and I think that AMD is more prone to socket change since they have their ODMC.[/i]

dwave

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
Is it me, or was that a ridiculously short run for AM2? Even if the change to AM2+ is only 2 or 3 years away, this has to be one of the shortest platform lives that I can remember.

Don't forget about Socket 423, it only lasted about a year.

I'm kind of glad that I didn't go out and buy AM2 when ti came out and spend my money on Core 2 and saved my 939 platform.
It just doesn't make sense to me to buy AM2 or even AM2+ when there is a new platform not to far down the road. Especially when the CPU that you buy will lose features as you migrate it to the next platform.

blunc

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
I suggest we help them out with their new names, here are a few to start it off:
Klugenator
Bytenfeffer
Clarksfield
Blorg
Thoroctobird (an 8 core thunderbird)
Smegmauler

Flopmouth_Fish

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006

Socket 939 came out in early 2005, and is being phased out right now. How about socket 423?

G

Socket 423 was for the P4 ranging from 1.3ghz to like 1.8 ghz(give or take 100-200mhz). They changed to s478 as soon as they RDram and switched to DDR...

The thing with s423 was that they went a wrong path and dropped the memory so the platform altogether, changing the socket also was common sens.

So yes it was short lived but that's because they did a 180 degree turn. I do agree that the S754-939-am2-am2+-AM3 is a lot of socket change in a short period of time....

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
I always thought Coppermine was a cool name. I plan on boycotting any code named processor that I cannot pronounce. AMD may have lost my business for AM2+ :p

Flopmouth_Fish

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Socket 423 was for the P4 ranging from 1.3ghz to like 1.8 ghz(give or take 100-200mhz). They changed to s478 as soon as they RDram and switched to DDR...

The thing with s423 was that they went a wrong path and dropped the memory so the platform altogether, changing the socket also was common sens.

So yes it was short lived but that's because they did a 180 degree turn. I do agree that the S754-939-am2-am2+-AM3 is a lot of socket change in a short period of time....

Wasn't socket 423 also compatible with DDR? My old PC was a Dell with a P4 1.6 Willamette, and it used DDR266 RAM.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
'Antares', 'Arcturus' and 'Spica'

Antares will contain just two cores to Altair's four, each with 512KB of L2 cache and connected to 2MB of shared L3 cache. Antares will support HyperTransport 3.0 clocked at up to 4.2GHz, as per Altair. It's scheduled to ship in Q3 2007.

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2006/10/05/amd_k8l_roadmap/

Bummer.
I guess K8Lamity is out of the running then

I have an idea, lets forget these weak names for it.
Return henceforth to the days of Clawhammer and Bulldozer.
In this tradition, and seeing AMD's trend toward countries and cities I declare the name of the new processor to have the badass name of Compton
And for Intel no more wuss names like Yonah or Conroe, I declare the new Duos and Quadros to be the Clint Eastwood and Mr T line of processors.

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Do you think there will be a user called Mrs_Sixth_Spica?

I wish AMD would put a little more info out on these new sockets.

Is AMD creating AM2+ just to get new tech to the market faster. Or did they find that there is no way of making a AM3 chip work in a AM2 socket, and sinced they promised the next chip would fit in AM2 - did they create AM2+ just to fulfill that promise?

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
I have an idea, lets forget these weak names for it.
Return henceforth to the days of Clawhammer and Bulldozer.
In this tradition, and seeing AMD's trend toward countries and cities I declare the name of the new processor to have the badass name of Compton
And for Intel no more wuss names like Yonah or Conroe, I declare the new Duos and Quadros to be the Clint Eastwood and Mr T line of processors.

"I ain't straight outta Compton, I'm straight out the trailer" -Kid Rock

Do you think Intel wants to be known by "Do you feel lucky?" or "I pity the fool"?

:twisted:

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Antares would not be a good name for AMD to use. You see it is a trademark name from INTEL...

Intel purchased a company called Dialogic which makes an Antares board. In their purchase they also aquired the rights/patents to the boards.

An Antares board is essentially a DSP laden board used in the detection/recognition of speech. These are primarily used in the telecom industry for what is called Speaker Independent Voice Recognition...

This differs from what most people have seen "speaker DEPENDENT recognition" where the user has to train the system to their own voice which means the next person to use that app could not be recognized...