My computer recently crashed. i was unable to do a system recovery but got
the computer back up and running. The problem I am having....... I have to
fill out .xls attachments that I get from work. I am able to download these
attachments and view them, but I am unable to get into them to edit any
information in them. I need to be able to open these attachments from that I
recieve from e-mails and edit them. Can someone please steer me in the
direction I need to go.

Was Microsoft Excel installed on your PC to begin with?
Do you own a Microsoft Excel installation CD and license?
If you do, then reinstall it. If you don't:

You'll need to purchase and install either Microsoft Office
or Microsoft Excel. These programs are available at your
favorite store that sells computer software.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"tulamore13" wrote:

| My computer recently crashed. i was unable to do a system recovery but got
| the computer back up and running. The problem I am having....... I have to
| fill out .xls attachments that I get from work. I am able to download these
| attachments and view them, but I am unable to get into them to edit any
| information in them. I need to be able to open these attachments from that I
| recieve from e-mails and edit them. Can someone please steer me in the
| direction I need to go.

Mikey

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

You can download openoffice from here, it's free, and their Calc program will
let you open and work on Excel files (.xls files):
http://www.openoffice.org/

In news:73A7A330-569B-4C3F-9EEE-75620AB0C805@microsoft.com,
tulamore13 <tulamore13@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> My computer recently crashed. i was unable to do a system
> recovery
> but got the computer back up and running. The problem I am
> having....... I have to fill out .xls attachments that I get
> from
> work. I am able to download these attachments and view them,
> but I am
> unable to get into them to edit any information in them. I need
> to be
> able to open these attachments from that I recieve from e-mails
> and
> edit them. Can someone please steer me in the direction I need
> to go.

It's not entirely clear from your message, but it sound like it's
possible that you had Excel installed, but after doing the system
recovery you didn't also reinstall Excel, and you're now using an
Excel viewer.

Please reply to the newsgroup

bernie

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

microsoft.public.office.misc or any other office specific newsgroup would
probably be a better place to ask this question.
My guess is perhaps they are password protected and since your reinstall you
now have the wrong password entered.
Search help for protect sheet, protect cells, protect shared, protect
workbook, unprotecting worksheet etc.

"tulamore13" <tulamore13@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My computer recently crashed. i was unable to do a system recovery
> but got the computer back up and running. The problem I am
> having....... I have to fill out .xls attachments that I get from
> work. I am able to download these attachments and view them, but I am
> unable to get into them to edit any information in them. I need to be
> able to open these attachments from that I recieve from e-mails and
> edit them. Can someone please steer me in the direction I need to go.

Save the attachment to the hard drive and edit the saved copy.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com