intermittent internet connectivity

debgem52

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2011
We have 2 wireless laptops & 1 hard wired tower (all onWindows 7) in a home network. (All hardware are new this year) The laptops have intermittent internet connectivity yet do not lose the network connections. I have upgraded both the Motorola modem and Linksys router to Windows 7 but it did not resolve the issue. Any ideas?

skaz

Distinguished

Hello,

I'm not sure what you mean by you updated the modem and router to windows 7 as those devices don't use windows 7.

It sounds like your laptops are loosing connection to the internet possibly because of weak signal.

What is the model of the linksys router? Do you have encryption set up on the router? If so what kind?

debgem52

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2011

Skaz
I downloaded firmware for Windows 7. I have a Linksys WRT160Nv2 router. Not sure about the encryption. How do I check?

skaz

Distinguished

You would check your encryption method by logging into your router. Just like you did when you updated the router with the firmware. From there you will have to navigate to the security/wireless encryption section. Different router brands have different layouts when logged into the router. But once logged in it shouldn't be too difficult to find. You can always reference the manual as well.

As for the two laptops. Can you tell me what kind of wireless cards they are using? On the laptop hit start, then type device manager, hit enter, then double click on network adapters. The wireless card that the laptop is using should be listed here.

debgem52

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2011

Both laptops have a Intel® Centrino ® Advanced-N 6250 AGN card. The router is set to WPA Personal security mode

TRENDING THREADS