All aboard!! Get ready for the dx10/Quad bandwagon express!

AlexIrvine

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
Ok, so dx 10 is coming round the bend soon and we all know new this and new that is coming that supports these new technologies. So I was wondering. Is it really worth it to buy a DX 10 card vs a DX 9 card when games that dont even support DX10 are made? Will the DX10 cards be able to play DX 9 games better? And how much of a price drop will DX 9 cards have? 30%? 25%? and Lastly I have heard some negative things from quad from some of my tech friend. They say just get Core 2 Duo and watch all the quad fanboys suffer. So should i just get 6800 core 2 and a x1950 or 1900 crossfire? Or go with some future beta Quad and DX 10 card? Let me know what you think, thanks

P.S
Buy my raptor X hard drive from ebay for an Uber Price!!
Item Number: 110039366696

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
Ok, so dx 10 is coming round the bend soon and we all know new this and new that is coming that supports these new technologies. So I was wondering. Is it really worth it to buy a DX 10 card vs a DX 9 card when games that dont even support DX10 are made? Will the DX10 cards be able to play DX 9 games better? And how much of a price drop will DX 9 cards have? 30%? 25%? and Lastly I have heard some negative things from quad from some of my tech friend. They say just get Core 2 Duo and watch all the quad fanboys suffer. So should i just get 6800 core 2 and a x1950 or 1900 crossfire? Or go with some future beta Quad and DX 10 card? Let me know what you think, thanks

P.S

Yeah of course no DX10 games will ever come out so go buy a DX9 card now at full price. You're right about quad core too... more cores just hurt your system.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006

P.S
1) Direct X 10 cards will perform much better than the 7900GTX and X1950XTX in everything, Direct X 9 or 10.
2) SLI and Crossfire are useless if you're playing on anything lower than 1600x1200.
3) The first Direct X 10 game should be the re-released Halo 2 for the PC, Crysis following and then UT2007.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Whoooo Hoooooooo !!! UT2k7.....

My next build will be nothing more than to support UT2K7...

OK, ok it will be for alot more but I plan on wasting alot of time on that game..

:lol: :lol:

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
As far as your "tech friends" go 8O 8O 8O :roll: :roll: 8O 8O

After reading a few days on here about your two main subjects I would expect you would be a little :roll: :roll: :roll: more informed than they were.

Take what they say and some of what you read here with a grain of salt. Read the reviews yourself..

I "think" that your tech friends would do well to start reading THG like you have.

Quad Core is NOT going to be a sour experience. It is NOT going to be a slow experience. It is/has been proven that it is quite the contrary.

As for the DX10 cards we only have some company leaked specs which lead us to beleive that they will be much better at DX/9 as well as supporting DX10. (please see the post for the NVIDA G80 from yesterday).

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
Whoooo Hoooooooo !!! UT2k7.....

My next build will be nothing more than to support UT2K7...

OK, ok it will be for alot more but I plan on wasting alot of time on that game..

:lol: :lol:
As do I; I'm currently in the process of upgrading to two 7900GTOs, and then in March, with the release of UT2007 I'm going to get either the R600 or G80 refresh.

dagonoth

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Some of the early reports about quad core was that the FSB would limit how effective they were. Tomshardware tests have shown thats not the case. I'm sure they would benefit from a greater FSB but at this point they are an improvement over dual core, at least with multi tasking and multi threaded applications.

Assman

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2005
Yeah of course no DX10 games will ever come out so go buy a DX9 card now at full price. You're right about quad core too... more cores just hurt your system.

Wooot, LOL :roll: WHere did you get this from?
Don't post stupid comments, if you don't know what you are talking about :!:

Agree with Heyyou27

Flopmouth_Fish

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Answers:

1) It is worth it to buy a DX10 card because you'll be ready for the DX10 games, instead of running them in backwards-compatibility mode for DX9.

2) DX10 cards will perform better than DX9 cards in DX9 games because the DX10 cards will have more powerful hardware.

3) Don't expect huge price drops for DX9 cards. When nV's 7900 cards came out, people were expecting huge price drops on 7800, but it didn't happen because they stopped 7800 production a while before 7900 came out.

4) Wait until mid-November to buy anything, as that's when Kentsfield is supposed to come out. If you decide on Core 2 Duo, then save money by getting the E6700 instead of teh 6800.

5) Instead of getting an X1950 or X1900 crossfire, get a cheap video card right now, then upgrade when DX10 cards come out.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Dag,

As of yet I do not think anyone has been able to show a proven saturation point for the FSB on the new Intel Dual/Quad Core (somewhat as you have stated).

I beleive though that JumpingJack is looking at a way to prove at least the dual cores saturation point. He purchased an X6800 just so he would have access to the multipliers which would allow him to under/over clock as needed to find that point. Problem is the GPU comes into play on many occasions so he needs to find some happy medium.

GL Jack... (progress report maybe?)

axilon

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Just buy what you want! Somewhere on here, they talked about Quad-Cores having problems running games.. so yea

Gaming fans, however, can confidently stick with the Core 2 Duo/Extreme or the legendary Pentium D 805. That's due to a lack of adaptations for four CPUs - in practice, only a maximum of two processors are used in games.

Qeldroma

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
" only a maximum of two processors are used in games."

As of now. The way technology has been changing lately it could be 6 months and dual cores will be obsolete. I myself and waiting for the DX10 cards to come out before I buy anything.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Qeld,

I think you will find that many multi-cpu capable apps in fact can use all cpus available. The true limiting factor would only possibly be the OS in question.

Apps that I use/created "not gaming" use whats available... Most of the multiple cpu tasks are handed to the OS for delagation.

dagonoth

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Ches111, I wasn't saying that it would actually be limited by the FSB thats just one of the criticisms that I've heard. I think longterm as more programs are designed for multiple processors and everything needs more power, the processors will benefit from the extra bandwidth. I just don't think its a limiting factor right now.

Gaming fans, however, can confidently stick with the Core 2 Duo/Extreme or the legendary Pentium D 805. That's due to a lack of adaptations for four CPUs - in practice, only a maximum of two processors are used in games.

FROM THIS.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/09/10/four_cores_on_the_rampage/page14.html

Heh heh heh, it do indeed say that.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Thanks Ax,

I find it intriguing that someone would develop an app in a multi-CPU mode and purposely limit it to 2 cores...

I think THG might want to revisit that statement.... In practice if you are coding for multiple cores you would not code a limitation (very few exceptions).... It is not to your advantage. There is however a possibility that Cache Coherency might be an issue because of the "two shared caches".

This could cause some overhead on a four core implementation. The result of that overhead = unknown but not likely a huge hit (this would be why scaling is not always truly linear)

axilon

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
its true, but hey, the new .. well mostly.. Conroe boards will take kentfields.. which is a bonus! As for DDR3 and PCI-E 2.0... Far Far away..

For me anyway, im sitting on a freaking Athlon 2500. I'm ordered an overhauled system tomorrow (building it of course).

On a side note, PCIe x16 standard at 4 GB/s (wikipedia, look it up). Just how much of this bandwidth does a video card take up? I'm just curious.

I'm not 'crying PCI-E 2.0' or something like that, its a rumor as far as i'm concerned.. but would be nice to see 'theoretical data flow' on a standard board and judge if something like that would be necessary.