I need some help. PC wont turn on.

G

Ok here is the deal.

I have a 2 year old dell, wanted to see what socket the cpu was b/c I was wanting to upgrade it. I unpluged all power connectors, took PSU out, took heatsink off, and got the number. Put the heatsink back on, PSU back in, plugged the power connectors, mobo, CD, and HDD, back into place. Once I had eveything hooked back up, I plugged all the cords to the back, mon,mouse,keyboard,etc. Set the case back up, press the on button, but nothing happended.

The lights on the back are working, so is the light on the Mobo.

What do I need to do to find out why it wont turn back on? Any thoughts?

I am not an expert, but do know a good bit about this stuff.

G

Yes, reconnected that as well. I think that is what is going wrong, I dont know.All power cords are hooked up as original.

Did I need to reapply some thermal grease to the cpu? If so, how do I take it off, and reapply it?

G

Did not have the socket number in system info. Did not take the cpu out of its socket. Too scared. Yep the 4pin is connected.

RichPLS

Champion
No need to mess with the CPU, it should be fine as before...
Obviosly, you have overlooked something during re-assembly, since it was working before... ReCheck all connections again and again, something has been overlooked.

G

So, even though I took the Heatsink off, it shouldnt effect the CPU, or the Computer? I dont need to reapply grease?

RichPLS

Champion
My bad... I did not realize you removed the heatsink from CPU.
I would then clean it with isopropyl alchohol and reapply Artic Silver 5 or the equilvant...
But even so, the old paste should still not cause the PC to not power up, since it should still contact sufficient to work. The problem is that tiny air pockets and dirt would cause the CPU to run hotter than optimal.

G

Ok. When I pulled the heatsink out the second time, the cpu stuck to it, the heatsink, so I put it back in the socket. Now I reconnected everything, and for a half-second, the PC comes on, but then back off.

At least its not the power button.

What is the cause now?

baladorr

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Check all the capacitors on the motherboard. If any of them are swollen at the top, or are leaking, then you need to get Dell to send you a new motherboard. I replace motherboards for this well known problem every day at work.

G

No, it was unplugged.
Yes, I just took it out, so I am pretty sure it can be updated.
I am not sure.
No static, I grounded myself as usual.

Got any more suggestions?

dagonoth

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
So when you pulled the heatsink off the second time, the cpu stuck to it, shouldn't the cpu be locked down in the socket. I'm used to AMD's mostly so I don't know for sure, but it shouldn't be that easy to get out. Is there a lever to lock it down in the socket?

G

O YA!!!!! I AM SOO STUPIDDDD!!!!!

I FORGOT THE LEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

ITS WORKING NOW!!!!!

THANKS!

G

Do you think I should, or could upgrade anything? I have only onboard graphics, 512mb Ram. Any suggestions? I play games more than I do work.

G

dont have agp or pci-e, only pci. I dont play intensive games, like half life, bf2, etc. I play medium games.

dagonoth

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I used to have the agp version of the 9200 that mpilchfamily is linking too. It actually let me play fear on the lowest settings so its not a bad card for you to upgrade too. You would definetely see a benefit from upgrading to 1gig of ram, above that I'm not so sure.

dagonoth

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I had my 9200 for years and it always treated me well until I had to fully upgrade. I was impressed by how well it worked even though its not a new card design.

G

I forgot to mention that I did not want to spend more than $50.

G

I also have a Compaq with an AGP slot. I might be able to take the better CPU and put it in there, and upgrade the GPU.

What are some good AGP under $50?

I got to see what the socket is first. I will get back to you later.