Problem installing Windows XP on new SATA HD (BoD)

Reveirg

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
Hi!

I recently bought a new 250GB, which I want to be my master drive on which I'll run windows... Since my motherboard (Intel D845EPT2) doesn't support SATA drives normally, I've bought a Vantec PCI card on which I'm plugging my HD...

I plugged everything and it all seemed to work fine, as my BIOS detected my new HD.

However, after doing the first part of the windows installation (formatting and copying files...), my computer reboots, and all I get is the blue screen of death, saying something about checking for viruses, to check if my HD is installed correctly, etc. (the typical BOD).

What should I do? I've installed windows using the latest SATA drivers from a diskette, and I've updated my BIOS. It still doesn't work! I'm getting quite desparate here... especially since my vendor doesn't want to exchange the HD for an IDE one... I'm kinda stuck here :S

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Reveirg

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
I did try to install/boot windows without my old HD in the machine... do you think there's anything else I could try?

dagonoth

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
You can run windows off of a sata controller card, but your motherboard has to support it for it to work correctly. I tried doing the same thing and I could never get it to work becuase my motherboard was from before sata was around. So I bought a new motherboard.

Reveirg

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
You know what... I hadn't actually tried to manually remove the old HD, I had only disabled it in the BIOS.

I've tried removing it as you said, it worked :) You fixed my problem, thanks!

However, I still need to copy my old files on my new HD, what did you mean exactly by hiding the HD's boot device?

TRENDING THREADS