PETITION TO SIGN AGAINST COMPAQ

rennard

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
Just to let everyone know....i contacted Compaq, and they stated and i quote: "No matter if i have a warranty or not, if my second power adapter fries they will pay 100% of the shipping and look at and fix, if nescessary, 100% FREE OF CHARGE. So to all of you NEGATIVE people on here, your posts were simply ignored. I do want to thank the people who were TRYING to help me and not cut me down. THANK YOU!!!!! as of today i will be not watching this post anymore nor will i probably be on this site anymore...

on another note to set the record streight: I DID NOT PURCHASE THE COMPAQ LAPTOP MY HUSBAND DID. SO IT IS NOT MY FAULT THAT I AM HAVING PROBLEMS WITH IT! :x

have a nice day.

RichPLS

Champion
Actually, quite impressive that they made a unit that no one can figure out how to open up to service but the manufacturer. Brilliant, IMO! Even more so that their design lasts till just after warranty expires! :lol: $$$

Robovski

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
I need to petition to sigh?

I'm quite capable of sigh-ing anytime I want.

*sigh*

See.

As for what the OP seems to want (get all of the Presarios rep\ired free of charge), it won't happen.

Let's face it, the joke had to be done.

Flopmouth_Fish

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Actually, quite impressive that they made a unit that no one can figure out how to open up to service but the manufacturer. Brilliant, IMO! Even more so that their design lasts till just after warranty expires! :lol: $$$

This is a wonderful business plan that should be adopted by all other major PC manufacturers :lol: .

To the OP: It's a bad idea to list your email address on a public forum; you might get spammed. You should have asked people to PM you.

rennard

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
the e-mail address im not worried about, it was something that i made up in a hurry for the site but thank you for your concern.

rennard

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
the e-mail address im not worried about, it was something that i made up in a hurry for the site but thank you for your concern.

rennard

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
not to be rude but one, i didnt buy it my husband did and 2 it does not hurt to see what can be done, you never know what will happen. besides i have a business on my side helping me getting most of the information i need, i just need signatures who HAVE THAT MODEL ONLY :)

rennard

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
its not that they cannot open it, but lots of computer repair shops are limited to what they are allowed to fix how do you think the companies like compaq and hp get their money, its certainly not just from people buying computers and thats all.

rennard

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
look, i really dont need any of your "jokes" one mistake on spelling cause i was in a hurry does not mean that i will do it all the time. and like i mentioned in another reply you never know what happens, if i get enough people who have THAT MODEL ONLY to sign my peition then maybe they will do something, its not going to cost me anything for my research except to mail it out which wont cost me much either.

7h3_7ru7h

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
Sorry to shoot you down, but if the warranty has expired, then it isn't their problem, and a petition will not change that. Personally I would not buy from Compaq, as they are known for low end Computers. However, perhaps you can still contact their tech support and ask them if this is a recurring issue. Still, I'm surprised you got a year of use out of it. Most PSU's I've worked either die right off the bat or last a lifetime.

At the end of the day, 4 people will not make a difference. You should contact them and inquire about it, and see what they tell you.

All-in-all though, I wouldn't buy a new Ready-Built PC without also purchasing an extended warranty. Not purchasing such a warranty invokes Murphey's Law, and something is bound to go wrong, LOL :eek:

rennard

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
thanks but in really not interested in stuff like that. and i hate to burst your bubble but my husband bought it not me. and its just not 4 people, if you read the post it was 4 people in 2 days, she has more, ill be getting a list from the pc repair company of how many people are having that problem and if you think it wont work then i guess you think with negitivity. this is florida the laws are different, if there are enough people then i have a great shot! and buying a compaq is no different than buying an HP. did you know that they are the SAME company? im only interested in hearing from people who have that model ONLY so please, if you dont then please keep your comments to your self.

Thank you :|

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
It's nice to try, but I can tell you that a petition will be beyond pointless and they wouldn't care at all (Most major companies are like this). If you really want attention, slap them with a class action lawsuit, and their army of lawyers will readily respond. Then they would care, but most likely, you would get crushed into the ground.

On the other hand, I have to say Compaqs do suck, and they should be banned from making them. eMachines should die also.

thanks but in really not interested in stuff like that. and i hate to burst your bubble but my husband bought it not me. and its just not 4 people, if you read the post it was 4 people in 2 days, she has more, ill be getting a list from the pc repair company of how many people are having that problem and if you think it wont work then i guess you think with negitivity. this is florida the laws are different, if there are enough people then i have a great shot! and buying a compaq is no different than buying an HP. did you know that they are the SAME company? im only interested in hearing from people who have that model ONLY so please, if you dont then please keep your comments to your self.

Thank you :|
There is 1 route you could take which is send the system to compaq. Compaq is proprietary which means most any part will have to be ordered from compaq at a higher than average price than standard PC parts. This is the reason most PC shops will not touch a compaq. Now for your system which compaq may have taking their proprietary design to the next step by forcing users to send their systems in for repair. Here is the best advice I can give you. Talk to an HP tech and get the system repaired by them. I'll tell you up front its not going to be cheap.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/pfinder?query=R3000&dest_page=product&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
cinse = sense?

I'm trying to figure out if you said that on purpose or on accident... eh

How hard can it be to repair it yourself? Maybe you can just buy a PSU off of compaq... shrug

belvdr

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
look, i really dont need any of your "jokes" one mistake on spelling cause i was in a hurry does not mean that i will do it all the time. and like i mentioned in another reply you never know what happens, if i get enough people who have THAT MODEL ONLY to sign my peition then maybe they will do something, its not going to cost me anything for my research except to mail it out which wont cost me much either.

Since you are so demanding, I figure I might as well be.

At any rate, this is the kind of thing that happens with low-end equipment. HP DeskJets come to mind as well: they are "throw-aways" when they break, as it is cheaper to get new equipment rather than repair the existing.

Just suck it up and pay for the repair or buy a better brand.

predatorgsr

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
I assume when you are talking about a bad power supply, you are talking about the internal connection. I worked as a computer technician for 2 years at a large retail chain (quit a few weeks ago), and I saw the same problem a lot.

I lost count of the number of laptops that had this problem. There is some internal connection that fails for two reasons. The first is physical damage/abuse to the power supply port on the laptop that comes from unplugging and plugging it in a bunch of times. After a while the wear and tear of this damagses the port to the point that it won't make a connection, and thus can't power the laptop. Sometimes this is obvious because the power pin is obviously bent or broken.

The second reason is some internal failure. Same symptoms, laptop won't accept ac power, thus rendering it useless, but there is no sign of damage. I have a toshiba laptop that is about 3.5 years old, and I have had this problem twice. The first was within the manufacturers warranty, and they fix it free of charge. In order to fix it, the tech notes showed that they replace the entire motherboard. This is a $700-800 part for laptops, depending on the laptop, plus another couple hundred for labor. It worked fine for another 2 years, and now I've been having the same problem happen again. I've backed up all my data, and just using it until it finally dies. It cost me around 2000 when I bought it, but I got my use out of it.

Thing is, I saw this problems mainly on HP's and Toshibas, but it happened to most brands. I'm not sure why so many laptops have it, it seems to be a design problem thats results in more frequent than average failure, but it isn't isolated to one brand or model. Just because several models came in during a small time period doesn't mean anything. I have seen this problem on many brands and models, and unfortunately there isn't anything you can do about it. Just buy an extended warranty on a laptop next time if you intend to use it for an extended period of time, laptops are one of the items it is actually worth it in my experience.

rushfan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
I didn't read anything about you contacting Compaq customer service directly. That should be your first avenue of recourse. What if this thing actually gets somewhere and then Compaq comes back with "Why didn't you just come to us in the first place?".

I had a problem with a number of Toshiba laptops a couple of years ago - they suddenly died and wouldn't power back on. I had 12 affected machines on my hands, all past warranty - some by several months. A few phone calls and e-mails later, they were repaired free of charge by Toshiba.

This is the kind of scare story that salespeople give you to encourage you to buy their extended warranties. Frankly, when it comes to portable computers, it's a good idea.

You seem nice enough but a word of caution anyway - nastiness, sarcasm and threats won't help your cause. I probably don't have to tell you this. A well reasoned argument and diplomacy are what you need. The threat "I'll tell everybody that I know" probably doesn't help with a monster company like HP/Compaq. It might sway a restaurant owner in a small town but even if everybody you know agrees to boycott Compaq, that will affect their bottom line by only 0.000000037 percent. You get the idea.

Good luck. Go Dell next time!

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
hey everybody im kind of new here but i would like to start an online petition to get Compaq to RECALL the Compaq Presario R3000. I purchased mine a a year and a half ago. about 6 months ago (a few days after the one year warranty was up) my power adapter FRIED i took it to a computer repair place here in my town and they said that i would have to replace it. at first i did not believe it so i took it to another place in the next town over. they too said the same thing "it has to be replaced" yesterday i went back to the pc repair shop and told the lady what make and model my laptop was and her exact words to me were " i just had 4 customers in 2 days with the same laptop as you, whom also needed a new adapter. Compaq needs to RECALL that model, there is something wrong in the hardware that pc repair shops CANNOT fix. The manufacturer MUST do it. All 4 of my customers (and this included me) have 100% the same problem." apparently there is something wrong with the Compaq Presario R3000's and Compaq should be responsible to replace them. That very nice lady whom i talked to yesterday is WILLING to give me the first name and last initial of EVERY customer she has with that make and model laptop to help me get started. As i have mentioned earlier i am trying to get a petition started. If you have the same problem as i do and as many others who have that make and model please please please copy this, paste it in an e-mail and sign your first name, last initial and the STATE where you are from and please put in the subject of the e-mail "Compaq Presario R3000 Petition". this way i will not accidently delete it! no other information is needed. hopefully this petition will help ALL OF US get our computers fixed FREE OF CHARGE, warranty or no warranty. And please, no silly little comments. i dont have time to do anything but check my e-mail once a day.and also if you do not have THAT MODEL ONLY, you do not need to sign the petition you may if you think it will help, the more the merrier. I would like to thank you all for your time.

Sara R. - Florida
e-mail cckm18@hotmail.com

i would like to add that if you do not have that model then please do not reply on this post. i am only interested in hearing from people who have the compaq presario r3000 ONLY. no other comments are wanted.

thank you

The warranty expired. Get over it. You should have bought an extended warranty in this case but you didn't.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Dell isin't that bad... well, it is bad, but much worse than other system builders. I've been going with Dell for a long time, and we haven't had much if any problems with them.

Compaq is a different story.

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Bought a 8600 from Dell 3 years back. The thing bombed 4 months later, and had to be sent in (no reason given). After that, had to send in 3 DVD ROMS to be replaced. HD had bad bytes on it after a few months. Flashed the BIOS, and it crashed. Had to be sent in for a new chip.

I know s%^$hit happens, and components do fail, but what completely blew my mind was the support. The so called customer service. The people couldn’t even speak English. It was around the time when Dell made a huge outsourcing effort to move overseas. The transition was a complete and utter stuff up IMO. It took me 2 weeks to tell the customer service rep that it's the DVD ROM, and they need to send me a replacement!!! I called every evening (during weekdays), for an hour at a time! Took them 5 days alone to see that the serial number they had in their system was not even mine! They mixed up the registration!!! They kept telling me I only had a CD ROM (which the other guy obviously had).

They just honestly sucked like I've never seen before (worse that Verizon fixed). Thinking about it now wants to me me throw up from stress. I called corporate to see what the heck was going on. I wrote a detailed document of my experience, and urged Dell to change its strategy (along with a request to please attend to my problem). I heard nothing back. Not even a call.

I followed up with a short 2 page letter expressing my deep discontent for their actions, and not a single word back. The service rep that did help me in the end was going to quit his job after he saw what happened. He said that Dell will be run into the ground, and that he doesn’t want to be around when it does.

That was about a year and a half ago. I wish I would have shorted their stock. I could have paid for a heck of a lot high-end PCs and stuck it to them. BURN IN HELL DELL! NEVER AGAIN!

:twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil: