Did I mess up paying 245 dollars for this?

suprcharg

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006
Long story, but I accidentally got this new retail box processor on ebay....

Manufacturer Part Number: OSA175CDBOX

Specifications
CPU ID Dual-Core AMD Opteron™ Processor Model 175
Model 175
Ordering Parts Number (OPN) OSA175DAA6CD
Stepping E6
Frequency 2.2GHz
HyperTransport™ Technology Speed 1MHz
Integrated Memory Controller 2.2GHz
Core Voltage 1.3 V/1.35 V
Case Temperature 49° C to 65° C
Wattage 110.0W
L2 Cache Size 2 MB
L2 Cache Speed 2.2GHz
Manf. Technology .09 micron SOI
Socket Socket 939
Amperage 80 A

Did I get a good deal or should I eat a few bucks and resell it?
Thanks!!!!!

RichPLS

Champion
Great CPU, same one I have... but I got mine a year ago... sadly it cost me $465, but was a bargain at the time...

Mine runs 24/7 at 2.64GHz and is rock solid, but is no match for Intel's C2D chips...

Flopmouth_Fish

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Great CPU, same one I have... but I got mine a year ago... sadly it cost me $465, but was a bargain at the time...

Mine runs 24/7 at 2.64GHz and is rock solid, but is no match for Intel's C2D chips...

Who cares if there's something bigger and better out there? If you had a Core 2 Duo, you'd be saying the same thing when Kentsfield comes out. And then when K8L comes out. It's a neverending game that you simply can't win. Also, I haven't seen you on the forums for quite some time; where'd you go?

If you didn't already figure this out (our sig and location are the same), I'm angry_ducky; I just like this name better :lol:

To the OP: You got a great CPU for a great price. No shame there. BTW, is this for a new build or is it an upgrade?

suprcharg

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006
Newegg has the E6400 Conroe for 220 shipped. That is a better processor for the money, right? I can't figure out why they are still selling this for 400+ bucks???

haywood

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
Simple economics, it costs AMD more to manufacture the Opterons compared to what it costs Intel to manufacture their C2D's, irregardless of performance...

One of my pet peeves, "irregardless" is not a word.

Carry on!

dagonoth

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
If you could build a system for someone else based on that processor you could make a bunch of money. Its worth 470 dollars from newegg right now so I would say you got a good deal.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Super,

I guess that would depend if you have a current motherboard that would support the Opty... If you do then it was the RIGHT THING TO DO..

If not and you are building a new system from ground up then maybe you could have done better with your $245.00. (Core 2 Duo)

All a matter of perspective. Like, what your total budget would be? What type/brand of mobo do like? Did you have a preference in the first place? What components do you have already?

IF building from the ground up and you think you can make a buck or two on the OPTY then sell it.. If migrating to an OPTY from a board that already supports it then maybe stay.

Tough isn't it :D

suprcharg

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006
Hehe If I had a 939 board ya, I'd definately keep it. I think I'm going to have to throw it back out on Ebay as I'm still sitting on a Athlon XP 2600 and gotta do a complete build to upgrade :/
Don't really want to upgrade till the DX10 cards come out anyway
Thanks for all of your help!!!

Flopmouth_Fish

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006

haywood

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
Simple economics, it costs AMD more to manufacture the Opterons compared to what it costs Intel to manufacture their C2D's, irregardless of performance...

Carry on!

It is a word. Look here:

http://www.google.com/search?q=define%3A+irregardless&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial

EDIT: While you're at it, you should take a look at the link in my signature.

Did not see anything that said it is a word. Find it in a dictionary.

haywood

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
Well, you got me.

Pet peeve, irregardless is a word, but non-standard and not commonly used.

From Dictionary.com:

"Usage Note: Irregardless is a word that many mistakenly believe to be correct usage in formal style, when in fact it is used chiefly in nonstandard speech or casual writing. Coined in the United States in the early 20th century, it has met with a blizzard of condemnation for being an improper yoking of irrespective and regardless and for the logical absurdity of combining the negative ir- prefix and -less suffix in a single term. Although one might reasonably argue that it is no different from words with redundant affixes like debone and unravel, it has been considered a blunder for decades and will probably continue to be so."

Assman

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2005
Newegg has the E6400 Conroe for 220 shipped. That is a better processor for the money, right? I can't figure out why they are still selling this for 400+ bucks???

Cause AMD is fucked up in the head!
Please excuse my bad language.

RichPLS

Champion

Carry on!

It helps to know what you are stating when attempting to correct someone with the facts... :lol: but why let facts get in the way of your ecclectic peeves... :roll:
Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that "there is no such word." There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose.