Sign in with
Your question

Office people..

Last response: in CPUs
October 6, 2006 12:19:41 AM

Ok.. so i "fix" the computers at my work.. and i think some people will get a kick out of this and just call me a troll.. but anyways..

The finance manager at my work said her computer was kinda slow.. she was running a 1.8ghz sempron 512 mb of ram.. a very shotty build by computer builders wearhouse.

The owner bought her a brand new HP C2D with 2mb of memory and a 250 gb harddrive .. not sure about video card.. but its probably ok since it has digital imaging stickers all over it and whatnot.. after setting it up.. which took forever including the 4-5 minute eralink install which usually takes any normal computer about 30 seconds.. we went to her dealerskins *website* which took it about a good 10 second load.. once again all the other p3's and so on's take about 4 seconds to load..

we get to the magical part of this ford site where you have to install fords bull sh*tuff and once again it took way longer than normal.. she asks me if this is a good computer.. and i smiled and nodded making her feel very comfortable.

later in the day i walked by her office and she calls me in .. , "Joe,.. I don't want to tell John (owner) this.. but this computer is slower than my old one.. i don't notice an increase in speed at all.. it takes me longer to open my excel files and websites are slower than ever.."

Now i can actually agree with her on this, but before anyone slams me and calls me a liar and so on.. i want to make it clear that i am in no way shape or form a fanboy.. and i actually plan on building one once quad core comes out.. i'm just curious as to see if someone thinks i should have her send it back to HP and have them give her a new one.. or if there is just some stupid driver issue or what..

More about : office people

a b à CPUs
October 6, 2006 1:33:28 AM

Quote:
Ok.. so i "fix" the computers at my work.. and i think some people will get a kick out of this and just call me a troll.. but anyways..

The finance manager at my work said her computer was kinda slow.. she was running a 1.8ghz sempron 512 mb of ram.. a very shotty build by computer builders wearhouse.

The owner bought her a brand new HP C2D with 2mb of memory and a 250 gb harddrive .. not sure about video card.. but its probably ok since it has digital imaging stickers all over it and whatnot.. after setting it up.. which took forever including the 4-5 minute eralink install which usually takes any normal computer about 30 seconds.. we went to her dealerskins *website* which took it about a good 10 second load.. once again all the other p3's and so on's take about 4 seconds to load..

we get to the magical part of this ford site where you have to install fords bull sh*tuff and once again it took way longer than normal.. she asks me if this is a good computer.. and i smiled and nodded making her feel very comfortable.

later in the day i walked by her office and she calls me in .. , "Joe,.. I don't want to tell John (owner) this.. but this computer is slower than my old one.. i don't notice an increase in speed at all.. it takes me longer to open my excel files and websites are slower than ever.."

Now i can actually agree with her on this, but before anyone slams me and calls me a liar and so on.. i want to make it clear that i am in no way shape or form a fanboy.. and i actually plan on building one once quad core comes out.. i'm just curious as to see if someone thinks i should have her send it back to HP and have them give her a new one.. or if there is just some stupid driver issue or what..

Quote:
i'm just curious as to see if someone thinks i should have her send it back to HP and have them give her a new one..

Send it back while you have the chance. HP's warranty service is the pits. You don't want to know, just ship it back before you get shisted. Mi2cents.
October 6, 2006 2:04:58 AM

I've seen this on two HP machines locally. They were so loaded with "bloatware" that nothing happened fast. It would take nearly all day and a ton of restarts to get rid of the stuff. One now works ok, but the other is still too slow. My opinion; send it back.

You might try a computer from Cyberpower. They don't load anything that you don't want and pay for, and I think they are cheaper.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 6, 2006 2:08:08 AM

Probably some crap running in the background, like Norton System Works, taking up around half of your computational power.
October 6, 2006 2:16:14 AM

I'd be willing to bet just a clean windows install (not from their recovery partition) would do the trick. If you restore from the recovery partition you will also reinstall about 2/3 of the garabage that came on there to begin (less the trials of say MS office and such)

The nice thing is, when you buy a computer, you also buy a copy of windows, that key is yours forever. So all you need to do is aquire a copy of windows depending on what type of key you have you might need to "obtain" a corporate version, an OEM version, or a Retail version of Windows.

Now before anyone comes up and says "obtain?!, you mean STEAL!" no I dont, it is not against the law to have a copy of windows on a disk that isnt an actual microsoft disk. The FCC mandates you CAN make backups of all your media on CD's/DVD's now what IS against the law is using a SERIAL NUMBER that you didnt pay for, but you DID oay for one, and you WILL USE it.

Your sound. And its super easy.
a b à CPUs
October 6, 2006 2:23:48 AM

Yeh, you can use any copy of windows that works, its the license that matters. The problem is, that it's illegal to distribute the media without the license, unless you have a license to do so...

It's like if smoking pot was legal, possession was legal, but selling it was still illegal, someone has to break the law in order for you to do your legal action. Catch 22, unless you already own the media for some other reason...
October 6, 2006 2:44:17 AM

Just pop the top on one your old drives they have some pretty significant magnets in there too... :) 
October 6, 2006 11:14:01 PM

Yea thanks guys for the replies.. i think i'm gonna let HP worry about it.. i tried running it with all services basically disabled.. "bloatware".. and its still slow as hell.. i mean really really slow. I think its getting worse day to day.. so HP is getting it back on monday for sure. She shouldn't have that machine anyways.. that machine should be in my hands so i can overclock the piss out of it with a motherboard and memory of choice.

...lol oh yea.. it was about 20 some restarts to take all of that crap out.
October 6, 2006 11:41:35 PM

Hmmm for a minute I thought your post was going to lead to you getting some action :wink: O well next time lie and make some thing up like you were talking to her and she asked to see your hard drive........then you say "if my memory serves me your boss said that you byte" then she says "I just wanna know how many gigs it is" then you say "I'm a fan but I need a bigger power supply to get the drive up" then she says

Use your imagination. :lol: 
October 7, 2006 12:14:53 AM

I find that HP systems in general are quite slow and unresponsive, due to the amount of bloatware clogging the hard drive and sucking up the system RAM.
October 7, 2006 12:44:29 AM

I have an HP laptop for work and it is pretty nice. The caveat being I work for a large company and as soon IT gets a new machine they image it with the corporate standard. No bloatware = runs well.

Only thing that sucks is the disabled WiFi, would be really convenient at home.
October 7, 2006 1:49:15 AM

How many of those drives failed prematurely?
October 7, 2006 6:33:04 AM

Did you guys look inside the case? Some people say that during transport parts may come loose. Maybe something came loose or something and it's faulting.

Should've had you build them one instead of going the HP route.

Andy.
!