Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Help!! Asus P5B won't boot

Tags:
  • Asus
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
October 6, 2006 12:55:48 AM

Hello everyone, I'm new to th. I'm assembling a computer for a friend of mine, an Asus P5B + Pentium D 805 combo. As I was assembling, I installed all the basic components (ram, graphics card, cpu) but nothing will happen when pushing the "on" button on the case. I've checked jumper positions for the chassis inputs more than once, I even switched to another case.. but still nothing will happen. The mobo's led lightens up, indicating that power is coming through.. but it just won't boot! Any suggestions? Anything whatsoever? Please? :°°°

More about : asus p5b boot

a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
October 6, 2006 1:22:36 AM

Quote:
Hello everyone, I'm new to th. I'm assembling a computer for a friend of mine, an Asus P5B + Pentium D 805 combo. As I was assembling, I installed all the basic components (ram, graphics card, cpu) but nothing will happen when pushing the "on" button on the case. I've checked jumper positions for the chassis inputs more than once, I even switched to another case.. but still nothing will happen. The mobo's led lightens up, indicating that power is coming through.. but it just won't boot! Any suggestions? Anything whatsoever? Please? :°°°

You might try resetting the CMOS jumper. I've read the P5B Deluxe requires the following from the ASUS website:

Quote:
Question

Why will my system power off and on again sometimes after altering CPU or memory settings in BIOS?
Is that normal?

Answer

Yes, that is normal. Due to chipset limitation of Intel ICH8 and above chipsets, system will require a full reset after such change is made to system to trigger the southbridge chipset.

http://support.asus.com/faq/faq.aspx?no=63B538FE-1F21-4...

You should list yor system components.
a b V Motherboard
October 6, 2006 1:56:11 AM

Nothing happens when you push the "on" button, but the power lights are on the motherboard? You might have the power button connected to the wrong pins, or a bad power button, try jumping the power on pins with a screwdriver. I really mean that.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
October 6, 2006 2:03:50 AM

Quote:
Nothing happens when you push the "on" button, but the power lights are on the motherboard? You might have the power button connected to the wrong pins, or a bad power button, try jumping the power on pins with a screwdriver. I really mean that.

This was my first thought to be sure. Then He said He even tried with the system in another case. I guess those system panel connectors can be hard to see sometimes. I thought my P5B Deluxe was well layed out. MB even comes with some special connector leads for the system panel to make connecting easier. I passed on those for now.
October 6, 2006 9:14:25 AM

look at teh following. some is what people have already said for for completenessesesseeeesssess i will add here too.

check that the switch is connected properly to the mobo pins,

check that the motherboard is screwed in using ALL the screws that affix it to the case mobo tray. Dont leave any holes left unscrewed. These act as Grounding points

check to make sure that the psu is like around 450+watts.

check to make sur eyou have clean undies

check to see if you have the latest BOIS running on your machine but i doubt this would be the problem.

check your lotto ticket to see if you won
October 6, 2006 10:54:52 AM

You probably have a memory compatibility issue. I had the same problem with 2 different motherboards with Intel 965 chipset. It wouldnt boot with my OCZ memory. Had to swap for Corsair. The motherboards where a ASUS P5B and a MSI 965 neo.

Seems some memory want more than the standard 1.8v to boot. My OCZ was rated at 2.1v...

Good luck
October 6, 2006 5:05:02 PM

RMA it, or try these things first. Take MOBO out of case and place on static bag setup on a wood table take PUS plug into board have case beside so you can hook up connectors to power machine up connect on a Video card, Ram and CPU. If it doesnt boot its the board. Eitehr RMA your ram for a new set or RMA the Mobo for a new one. If the RAM was pulled from a system that was working I would RMA the board and not put the new board into the case untill your sure its boots up. Flashing the bios would be great but you cant see anything so you cant do that. Try the 1 stick of RAM in the board try all 4 slots with jsut one stick. This will tell you if somethign is wrong with the board or RAM. I think its the board.

I have seen so many posts about no video and no post and its always the board thats at fault very seldom is it the RAM but almost always something has to be RMA'd

Good luck