Finally building a new system

Shakey

Distinguished
May 6, 2004
Before I begin, thanks for your time.
Ok, so I'm finally building a new system, but one of the things I want to be able to build into my system is longevity. I'm planning on building a Mid to High end system now, but there are some things I want out of it in the future Most of these things come down to having a Motherboard that will support these things.
Here's the kicker though, If significant longevity can be achived by waiting till say Thanksgiving or so, I can wait that long, but thats the cutoff point really
#1 I am not going with SLI or Crossfire yet. I want the capability to, because well, if I buy a $300 dollar video card now, and decide a year from now to upgrade I can buy the same card for $150 and almost double my proformace (in some area's yes I know in others it does almost nothing ...)
#2 Intel Quad Support, or atleast a damn good chance at it via flashing the BIOS
Actually after those two, most motherboards will cut the mustard, maybe the ability to run DDR2 faster than 800MHz, but that will do for now. I'm not terribly concerned with overclocking, though that may be a cheap option for future upgrading ($50 for a new heat sink instead of $400 for a new processor)
here's the system I've been thinking of so far:
Intel E6600
Mobo: ? maybe Asus with the NForce 590 chipset (When available) ?
BFG Geforce 7950GT 512MB (Factory Overclocked)
2xWD 74GB Raptors RAID 0 (Fell in love with RAID with my current system)
2x1 GB DDR2 800 G.Skill 4-4-4-12
DVD burner ... case ... yada yada yada.

Thanks for your response and Motherboard suggestions, if you have any suggestions on the system I'm open. Thanks

djplanet

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
If you're going for Nvidia, it might be worth it to wait for Nforce 590 for Conroe. But if you're willing to get an ATI, you should know all 975X motherboards support Crossfire, and most are drop-in compatible with Core 2 Quad (check Anandtech for a compatibility list). But the only Conroe SLI mobos available use Nforce 570 or lower and are not Quad compatible as far as I know.

The rest of your build looks fine, but have you considered WD Raptor 150GB drives? They're better because of the doubled capacity, but are more expensive.

I can't make any SLI mobo recommendations for your criteria, but any 975X mobo should work fine if you go the Crossfire route. But check Newegg and professional reviews for the good ones.

... yada yada yada
You live in San Diego and use this expression? That's unique :wink: .

Shakey

Distinguished
May 6, 2004
The problem is, my current system is slowly pooping out ... I give it till November till it dies, besides the fact that it can barely run Rise of Legends without letting out a death wail.
I'm biting the bullet on Thanksgiving because its also my B-day and either having this computer built and ready to go or ordered is my gift to myself.
I unfortuneately have this weird brand loyalty thing with Nvidia ... and I find it difficult to buy an ATI now. They got me hooked when I bought my first GeForce2. But I might be willing to go ATI if there isn't a SLI board that does what I want available by the end of November.
I thought about the 150GB Raptors, but I already have a large storage drive; the only reason I got the 74GB ones is because I read reviews that they were quieter, and for NCQ, which the 37GB ones don't have ... I hate HD latency with a firey passion of a thousand white hot suns, but don't have the money or inclination to go with a RAM drive.
Yes, I use a lot of odd phrases, you wouldn't be the first to consider me ... unique :) You from San Diego too?

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Still wait, because even getting it, will it be worth the regret that will definitly come...

If you really can't wait, then buy a Conroe now since it'll be fine for a long time, and get a cheap graphics card until DX10 comes out and stabilizes, then nab one.

jamesgoddard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
If you want Nvidia that much, I would think you may be better off with an AMD based system, because the Nvidia motherboard support for Intel CPU's atm is very poor...