E6300 with Gigabyte 965P-DS3 help

peetul83

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
I just got all my components today and have put together a E6300 cpu with a Gigabyte motherboard. I was going to try my hands at overclocking but...

I have a problem with my cpu temperature and motherboard. With the side panel open, the cpu reads 46 degrees at idle, while the motherboard temperature reads 37 degrees. When I touch the CPU heatsink, it is not hot at all, in fact, it is pretty cool. My northbridge chip does run hot, but I have removed the stock gunk off and have added arctic silver to help out a little. I'm also running it on Geil Ultra Series memory with a Geforce 7600GT (its running at 58 degrees). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

MingoDynasty

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
I have the exact same mobo and processor too, and I too need help overclocking :p

So far I overclocked my E6300 to 2.24 ghz (320 mhz fsb)
DIMM +0.1
MCH +0.1
FSBv +0.1
vCore 1.33125v

Idle Temp
-Speedfan says 30C
-Core Temp says 40C

Load Temp
-Speedfan says 45C
-Core Temp says 50C

I'm on stock cooling, but I've seen some people at least get 2.5 ghz. Plz help me :O

cd14

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
I have the exact same mobo and processor too, and I too need help overclocking :p

So far I overclocked my E6300 to 2.24 ghz (320 mhz fsb)
DIMM +0.1
MCH +0.1
FSBv +0.1
vCore 1.33125v

Idle Temp
-Speedfan says 30C
-Core Temp says 40C

Load Temp
-Speedfan says 45C
-Core Temp says 50C

I'm on stock cooling, but I've seen some people at least get 2.5 ghz. Plz help me :O

You probably need more juice to the CPU. Also check that your ram isn't going overboard with the overclocking. Where does it fail with the overclocking? Booting, stress testing? Inch up the volts and Orthos/Prime95 stress it. I've had my E6400 fail the stress test even after 7 hours. I ended up with 1.4750 volts on the CPU to get 8x400, everything else normal settings (they don't seem to affect the overclocking for me). I have aftermarket cooling too. Everybody's setup will have different results, but I would check what your ram is running at and adjust the CPU voltage a bit. Also look for a heatsink with copper and heatpipes, your temps will drop 8-10C degrees. Good Luck.

MingoDynasty

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
Wut do you mean more juice to the CPU? I tried 333 mhz fsb with liek 1.4v vcore and it failed. Failed, meaning I stressed with Prime95 and it found an error within liek 2 minutes. (Wtf is orthos?) How do I check if my ram is going overboard? I woulda thought 40C idle leaves plenty more room to OC. Yea I'm lookin to get a Scythe Infinity and then some AS5 and temps will really drop. But they don't seem that high right now, so I should at least be able to break 320 mhz, right?

cd14

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
How do I check if my ram is going overboard? I woulda thought 40C idle leaves plenty more room to OC. Yea I'm lookin to get a Scythe Infinity and then some AS5 and temps will really drop. But they don't seem that high right now, so I should at least be able to break 320 mhz, right?

If you have 533mhz ram, it might have problems reaching 666mhz. Relax the timings and you might get it. If it's 667mhz or faster then your ram is probably not the issue. So everytime you to increase the FSB, you increase the ram speed. There's only a multiplier on this motherboard, so you can't run the ram slower than the FSB. Also "value" ram don't overclock as well as the enthusiast types.

Wut do you mean more juice to the CPU? I tried 333 mhz fsb with liek 1.4v vcore and it failed. Failed, meaning I stressed with Prime95 and it found an error within liek 2 minutes. (Wtf is orthos?) How do I

Perhaps 2.24ghz is the limit of your CPU. They all vary in their overclocking capabilities. See what others are running their CPU voltages at. Again, the ram and the CPU go hand in hand, could be either one or both. In my case, I know that my CPU and ram is the limiting factor, this board has plenty more to give. Take a look at the overclocking guides.

derek2006

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
Mingodynasty put all your voltages to default. Also disable anything you dont need like anything that sais enhancement. Such as C.I.A.2, spread spectrum, C1E, EIST, virtualization. Then set the ram at +0.2 and you cpu at 1.3v. Then try upping it to 333 mhz fsb. I have a similar setup with a E6400. I have it at 1.264v and ram at +0.2v and im at 375mhz fsb and prime stable for 2 days. At your vcore of 1.33 I was able to get to 435 fsb stable. But I won't ever keep it that high I need this machine for 4 years at least.

peetul83

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
Well, I am in the process of RMAing the board and cpu from Newegg. I cannot believe how hot my cpu/mobo was getting at stock speeds. I believe a lot of people are having issues, but these factors that I have looked into could have contributed to my problem....

1) Make sure when you are putting on the stock heatsink fan to put enough pressure on the clips and make sure they click into place.
2) If you are getting rid of the stock thermal paste from the stock heatsink, make SURE you do not scratch the heatsink during the process.
3) When applying your own Artic Silver 5 or MX-1 add a rice size drop in the middle of the chip. You can apply pressure on the heatsink to spread the paste around.
4) Northbridge runs hot, so you might want to invest in some decent chipset cooling. At the least you can take the stock heatsink off, get rid of the stock thermal pad and clean up both the NB and heatsink so you can apply AS5. Re-attach the hsf and slap on an old cpu fan lying around.

MingoDynasty

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
How do I check if my ram is going overboard? I woulda thought 40C idle leaves plenty more room to OC. Yea I'm lookin to get a Scythe Infinity and then some AS5 and temps will really drop. But they don't seem that high right now, so I should at least be able to break 320 mhz, right?

If you have 533mhz ram, it might have problems reaching 666mhz. Relax the timings and you might get it. If it's 667mhz or faster then your ram is probably not the issue. So everytime you to increase the FSB, you increase the ram speed. There's only a multiplier on this motherboard, so you can't run the ram slower than the FSB. Also "value" ram don't overclock as well as the enthusiast types.

Wut do you mean more juice to the CPU? I tried 333 mhz fsb with liek 1.4v vcore and it failed. Failed, meaning I stressed with Prime95 and it found an error within liek 2 minutes. (Wtf is orthos?) How do I

Perhaps 2.24ghz is the limit of your CPU. They all vary in their overclocking capabilities. See what others are running their CPU voltages at. Again, the ram and the CPU go hand in hand, could be either one or both. In my case, I know that my CPU and ram is the limiting factor, this board has plenty more to give. Take a look at the overclocking guides.

Here's a link to my ram: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820145590
It's corsair 2gb XMS 5-5-5-12 DDR800
I'm pretty sure my ram isn't cheap value ram.
What do you mean by "relax the timings?"

I've read those overclocking guides in and out, but it doesn't seem like they answer my problems. I've seen someone go 2.59 ghz on stock cooling, so 2.24 ghz shud really be higher.

Temperature in my case isn't limiting my overclocking just yet, is it?

MingoDynasty

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
Mingodynasty put all your voltages to default. Also disable anything you dont need like anything that sais enhancement. Such as C.I.A.2, spread spectrum, C1E, EIST, virtualization. Then set the ram at +0.2 and you cpu at 1.3v. Then try upping it to 333 mhz fsb. I have a similar setup with a E6400. I have it at 1.264v and ram at +0.2v and im at 375mhz fsb and prime stable for 2 days. At your vcore of 1.33 I was able to get to 435 fsb stable. But I won't ever keep it that high I need this machine for 4 years at least.

Yep all that stuff is disabled, but I still can't get past 320 mhz fsb. Wouldn't setting the volts mad high first help in overclocking and stablizing? You could just lower them later after you overclocked and stabled, right?

How do you know how many years you're cutting off your cpu when you overclock?

derek2006

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
Ive read somewhere where this guy couldn't overclock any higher and when he lowered the voltages it then suddenly overclocked more. And on my computer I had a hard time getting over 400mhz fsb. I set all the voltages to regular and it was magic i got to 425 mhz. It's weird but it can work.

darkhorror

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
I am at 430x7 with stock FSB, Memory, Mch voltages, and undervolt VCore to 1.3125. E6300 DS3, F6 bios, stock HSF. 51C underload in coretemp.

derek2006

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
What kind of cooling are you using? Under load im at like 55 C core 1 and 53 C core 2. I should have lower because of lower fsb and voltages.

MingoDynasty

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
I am at 430x7 with stock FSB, Memory, Mch voltages, and undervolt VCore to 1.3125. E6300 DS3, F6 bios, stock HSF. 51C underload in coretemp.

Can you gimme pics of your bios? :O
I can't even touch 400mhz :(
How do you know if you have F6 bios?

darkhorror

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
I am using stock HSF, but my case has a 120mm fan blowing twards it.

As for bios, it tells me what bios I have when the computer up. it's on the screen when you press delete to go into bios. It says ...965P-DS3 F6.

MingoDynasty

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
I am using stock HSF, but my case has a 120mm fan blowing twards it.

As for bios, it tells me what bios I have when the computer up. it's on the screen when you press delete to go into bios. It says ...965P-DS3 F6.

Can you gimme pics of your bios and tell me exactly what volts you increased and by how much? It'd really be helpful.

cd14

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006

Here's a link to my ram: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820145590

I've read those overclocking guides in and out, but it doesn't seem like they answer my problems. I've seen someone go 2.59 ghz on stock cooling, so 2.24 ghz shud really be higher.

To relax the memory timings is basically run them slower (bigger numbers) press CTRL+F1. Make sure you are running 1:1 ratio with the FSB. That will give you 666mhz. You certainly have sufficient ram though, so there's no need to slow them down. XMS are pretty good quality. I'm not sure why you can't go any higher.

I just got another E6400 and my two act totally different. They both can get 3.20 ghz but one does it with way lower voltage (but gets hotter). I've had 2 pairs 2x1gig Patriot 800mhz ram. One reaches 960mhz and the other can barely overclock. The voltage requirement were a bit off too. And then I also have a 512meg Corsair 667mhz that easily gets 950mhz (+283mhz!).

It's probably your CPU. When you get the chance to cool it down try again. I know the MB is good for 475mzFSB, maybe +.1 here and there to stabilize it.

MingoDynasty

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006

To relax the memory timings is basically run them slower (bigger numbers) press CTRL+F1. Make sure you are running 1:1 ratio with the FSB. That will give you 666mhz. You certainly have sufficient ram though, so there's no need to slow them down. XMS are pretty good quality. I'm not sure why you can't go any higher.

I just got another E6400 and my two act totally different. They both can get 3.20 ghz but one does it with way lower voltage (but gets hotter). I've had 2 pairs 2x1gig Patriot 800mhz ram. One reaches 960mhz and the other can barely overclock. The voltage requirement were a bit off too. And then I also have a 512meg Corsair 667mhz that easily gets 950mhz (+283mhz!).

It's probably your CPU. When you get the chance to cool it down try again. I know the MB is good for 475mzFSB, maybe +.1 here and there to stabilize it.[/quote]

Nevermind, I found the problem. I was running BIOS revision F2, while the latest revision was F7. The revision F6 was what I needed, as said on Gigabyte's site, "Enhanced overclocking for E6300 and E6400." As soon as I updated the bios to F7, I overclocked 333 mhz like nothing. Even weirder, I overclocked to 430 mhz on stock cooling.
Idle: 33C
Load: 60C

I left the rest of the BIOS the same, except for some option that automatically set stable voltages??
Dimm = +0.2
FSB = +0.1
MCH = +0.1
vCore = 1.4v

I'm going to leave Prime95 to stres all night and while I go to school to be sure that my comp is stable at 430 mhz fsb, 3.01 ghz clock. Within a couple days, Ima get Arctic Silver 5 from my friend and buy a Scythe Infinity to really cool my cpu.

Comments, anyone?

cd14

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
I assumed you had the latest BIOS, but I'm glad you got it going. Try to stay under 60c on load with EasyTune. I feel like I have a heater when I'm benching at that temp. I only adjusted the CPU voltage, I left the rest normal--they didn't appear to help me any. When you get your ram above the rated spec you may have to give it the normal operating voltage and change the timings. I've been stable with my E6400 now at 3.50 with 1.45625v, but it hovers around 62C on load. Might get water cooling to keep this speed. I also had to set my memory timings to 5-5-5-15 to get the ram to run above 950mhz (this time with OCZ 800 memory). Good luck.

MingoDynasty

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
I assumed you had the latest BIOS, but I'm glad you got it going. Try to stay under 60c on load with EasyTune. I feel like I have a heater when I'm benching at that temp. I only adjusted the CPU voltage, I left the rest normal--they didn't appear to help me any. When you get your ram above the rated spec you may have to give it the normal operating voltage and change the timings. I've been stable with my E6400 now at 3.50 with 1.45625v, but it hovers around 62C on load. Might get water cooling to keep this speed. I also had to set my memory timings to 5-5-5-15 to get the ram to run above 950mhz (this time with OCZ 800 memory). Good luck.

A heater was exactly what I was going for when I decided to overclock my cpu :p
It's almost wintertime, gonna be cold :p

Oh, and... how far can someone push the E6300? 4ghz? 5ghz? 3.02 ghz?

I recently checked my Prime95 stress testing and I noticed that the temps (according to speedfan) touched 63C once. So I guess I'll stay away from stressing until I get my ScyInf. And stay away from pushin my E6300 farther :p

atp777

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
I've seen an E6300 clocked as high as 3.5GHz... maybe higher but I haven't seen any proof of higher.

b46367369.jpeg

alcatraz678

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2006
I've seen an E6300 clocked as high as 3.5GHz... maybe higher but I haven't seen any proof of higher.

b46367369.jpeg

Why is that that guy can overclock his E6300 until 3.5GHz @ 1.2v, in the other hand my CPU can only overclock until 2.4GHz @ 1.3v

Sorry I'm a newbie, just started overclocking this week. I need to be fed by information.. PLEASE!

wiz83

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Thought I might be able to give you some tips.

I have E6300, but my motherboard is the S3 version, instead of DS3.

I had problems getting more than 333MHz FSB when the Vcore was set at [NORMAL] which the motheboard declared [1.325V] under bios.

But then, when I run Speed Fan, and took pictures, posted on one of the link, my temperature at idle was above 50+C, _TOMO_ identified my problem, in the picture, Speed Fan showed that my Vcore was running at 1.41V, which for 333MHz FSB is too much. Then I rebooted, got into BIOS, set the Vcore to manual, 1.325V instead, and my idle temp dropped a tonne, down to 33C. I was surprised. Then I overclocked further, up to 7x 400MHz, tortured it, and was stable at 1.2000V for Vcore, running torture test for over 6 hours. I had my temperature for full load at around 53C. Then I decided to crank it higher, then my computer started to reboot, but the Vcore wasn't the problem, I did a +0.1V to my RAM, and everything was stable. I'm currently running at 7x 430MHz (3.01GHz), Vcore was at 1.225V but failed torture test after 2 hours, I increased my Vcore up to 1.275V, so far, passed torture test for more than 4 hours, gonna try more. I might try other numbers, just to see, coz I don't think a 30MHz increase in FSB is gonna take an extra 0.075V increase in Vcore, but then, who knows. My current setting runs at 55C loaded.

P.S. I'm using stock HSF.

MingoDynasty

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
Be sure you have the latest bios revision. I had the same problem (couldn't overclock past 2.24ghz without getting errors in Prime95) until I updated to the latest bios.

alcatraz678

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2006
Be sure you have the latest bios revision. I had the same problem (couldn't overclock past 2.24ghz without getting errors in Prime95) until I updated to the latest bios.

Yes, I updated my bios recently running at F7 Bios. So please teach me some overclocking techniques.. I really couldn't reach 400MHz FSB.. The maximum I got is 352MHz and it sucks.

MingoDynasty

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006

Yes, I updated my bios recently running at F7 Bios. So please teach me some overclocking techniques.. I really couldn't reach 400MHz FSB.. The maximum I got is 352MHz and it sucks.

Try raising your voltages. My current voltage settings are:
+0.2 Dimm
+0.1 FSB
+0.1 MCH
1.4000 vCore
E6300 overclocked to 3.01 ghz (430 fsb).
Gigabyte DS3 board.