guys , my pc specs are:

AMD 3200+ Venice 939
Seagate 120gig
Seagate 320gig
Gigabyte K8NF-9 mobo
1gig or Corsair Ram PC3200
Nvidia 6200TC 256mb
DVDRW and CDRW

I was thinking, should I put another gig of ram in , an ATi X850XT , and a dual core AMD +4200

I can get a ATi X850XT for $186 US

, or:

Just wait until driect x10 and vista come out and then build a system based on that ,and then get an AM2 board with DDR2 ram?

Thanks guys.

More about : upgrade wait

October 6, 2006 7:33:09 AM

trust me, wait.
(i asked myself that same question a month or 2 ago)

Think of it this way, most games will be going DX10, and by november of next year, you'd need to upgrade your video card, and go to vista anyway.
October 6, 2006 7:58:17 AM

I'd upgrade the cpu and ram, the 4200x2 is a great processor and isn't to much. wait a few months for the gpu unless the are games you can't play that you want to, then get a cheap midrange gpu, like a 7600gs.
Related resources
October 6, 2006 10:25:56 AM

wait.
a c 478 à CPUs
October 6, 2006 1:35:08 PM

If you can wait, then wait.

Regarding S939 vs. AM2, there is no real difference in performance between the two different sockets of the same model. Only go with AM2 if you plan on getting something faster than the X2 4600+. By sticking with S939 you'll only need to buy another 1GB of DDR RAM instead of buying 2GB of DDR2 RAM.

If you plan on upgrading to socket AM2, then I strongly recommend a Core 2 Duo system since you will be replacing your motherboard and RAM. At stock speed, the slowest C2D CPU, E6300 @1.83GHz - $183, is similar in speed to an Athlon X2 4400. When overclocked with DDR2 800 RAM it can give the Athlon 64 FX-62 a run for it's money.

If you can still get by with your GPU, then wait since nVidia's DX10 are supposed to be released near the end of next month. That means you can probably by one in December.
October 6, 2006 1:37:43 PM

thanks guys , majority said wait , and thats what ill think ill do ,

Thanks guys , really appreciate it.
October 6, 2006 1:53:18 PM

Quote:
I'd upgrade the cpu and ram, the 4200x2 is a great processor and isn't to much. wait a few months for the gpu unless the are games you can't play that you want to, then get a cheap midrange gpu, like a 7600gs.

thanks for the input , sorry i should of told everyone , i cant really afford to just spend money for temporary stuff , i would though if i could afford it , but i cant. but I am dying to play games that I cant on a 6200TC hehe.
Ive overclocked the crap out of it , still doesnt help me at all. But Im happy to Wait.

Thats why i think once DirectX10 and vistas out , I can build a computer on that , and i can get all the new features that are now standards , like DDR2 , DX10 GPU's and SATA2 ports. because I like to just do big upgrades , instead of just upgrading parts here and there.

Can you guys just confirm that this is a wise decision.
October 6, 2006 2:14:55 PM

For all concerned.Unless ATI and NVIDIA decide to give all a break,the prices for DX10 cards will be fairly high.The same can be said for VISTA.Microsoft has spent sooo much time and money on VISTA,it is not unreasonable to assume that Microsoft will charge quite a lot for it's newest OS.I sincerely hope that all three companies see this post and try to understand that some people can't afford the hundereds or even thousands of dollars for hardware and operating system.In a way Microsoft is forcing the lot of us(with the help of the main video card manufacturers)to upgrade to somethng that although is necessary,is not necessarily viable for a lot of people.DX10 is cutting edge,no doubt.But how much is it going to cost the average consumer to upgrade?Seriously.If top end DX9 cards are costing as much as 700-800 canadian,what kind of prices are we looking at for the newest and greatest?If all three companies were smart about it,they would offer their products at reasonable prices and go with shear volume.As this I believe would make them more money in the long run.Just a few words for thought,because i still have yet to see anything relating to prices for hardware and software that supports DX10.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.4 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X7800GT IN SLI
2X1GIG DDR IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR 1280X1024
ACE 520WATT PSU
October 6, 2006 2:33:14 PM

Your Geforce 6200 is by far the weakest link in your system. In my opinion you would be best to go for a 7600GT or 7900GS now, then save and wait to upgrade motherboard and CPU when DX10 and vista are established. That way you can enjoy DX9 stuff now to its full extent, without wasting money on DX10 stuff that will be overpriced and under-supported for a good time yet.

The GF6200 really does stink, the rest of the system is adequate.
October 6, 2006 2:43:07 PM

For a little backup to the previous comment look at this:

even a 6600GT would make the games playable
October 6, 2006 5:42:55 PM

ohok , would it be worth it , buying that X850XT for $186US ?
October 6, 2006 8:04:59 PM

Agreed, upgrade your video card, the CPU can wait.
That 850XT will give you a great boost now and let you enjoy the computer gaming experience for a good while longer.

I've got a s939 X2 3800+ in mine, which was an upgrade from a 3000+ Winchester. The extra 200 mhz speed (2 ghz from 1.8 ghz) was a nice little bump; the newer stepping of the core helped; having a dual core system gave more stability and an overall more enjoyable computing experience -- but in all honesty, the CPU upgrade did not provide a real noticeable improvement in the gaming experience.
Upgrading from a 6600 GT to a 7600 GT a couple of months ago, however, did make a big difference!

I'd advise the same for anyone with a similar socket 939 system (assuming you've already got 1 gb memory). Priority for upgrades are:
1) best video card you can afford;
2) another gb of memory;
3) a faster CPU if you absolutely feel like it and have the spare cash.
October 6, 2006 8:31:28 PM

Well if you want to do somme gaming, then upgrade the 6200tc to a x850pro or something, those arent that expensive. Unless the x850xt is around the same price. but well worth the upgrade
October 6, 2006 11:30:32 PM

Telling what games you enjoy the most is a good thing as well.. going another gig of ram may not be worth the money either.. not much of a performance gain from 1-2 unless its battlefield 2.. and to be honest its not even worth it still unless its 4gb to completely eliminate the pagefile.

I'd do this.. but i'm not trying to persuade you..

OC the venice... not much just 200mhz if possible without buying anything new. Why would anyone go out and by new memory at 300 dollars , another 50 dollar cpu cooler, and 150 dollar board to try and gain some performance from their CPU when they say they don't want to upgrade yet.. 500 dollars is an upgrade!

I don't know about the new ATI cards .. i haven't been paying attention.. but the 220 dollars i spent on my eVGA 7900GT was well worth it in my opinion.. OC'ed it on stock cooling to 840/810 (nothing great.. but a little more performance) doesn't go above 43c.

I wouldn't see dual core being a good upgrade right now from what you have for gaming.. but i'm probably wrong.. and someone should correct me if i am.. so if you have a descent power supply and good air flow in your case.. i'd say do that. You spend 220ish or w/e on the video card of your choice .. 200mhz makes a noticeable difference with A64 architecture.. as i can notice my OC in battlefield from 2.2ghz to 2.6ghz on my Sandy..

Hope this may give you a few other options to think about.. I wish you the best of luck! :p 
October 7, 2006 2:59:47 AM

bump
October 7, 2006 7:30:27 AM

back to the top
October 7, 2006 3:53:55 PM

ok im stuck now guys , everyones saying different things,

I wanna play all the modern games , with really good graphics ,

But should I wait until Vista and direct x 10 is out , and then build a computer based on that , and get all the new features , like AM2 mobo with SATA2 , DDR2 , directx10 GPU n stuff?
October 7, 2006 5:43:55 PM

Speaking about Vista, have you heard the latest (albeit, this is from the Inquirer -- but this seems about right). Supposedly games -- current games -- can be expected to run 10 to 15 percent SLOWER on Vista, at least to start:

Gaming to rund 10 to 15 percent slower on Vista
October 8, 2006 2:00:26 AM

You should upgrade your cpu while you can still get socket 939 cpus and add another gig of ram but wait till the dx10 gpus come out before you upgrade the gpu.
October 9, 2006 9:06:10 AM

Quote:
You should upgrade your cpu while you can still get socket 939 cpus and add another gig of ram but wait till the dx10 gpus come out before you upgrade the gpu.

lol what nonsense.

For playing todays games by FAR the biggest difference you can make to your systems performance is a graphics card upgrade. CPU and memory will make very little difference to games when the limiting factor is the GF6200. You could put a core 2 duo extreme and 8GB of PC1066 DDR2 in your PC and games would still run like crap.

The only reason to upgrade cpu/ram is if youre doing some major multitasking, or CPU-intensive activity like video rendering. But as I remember you said games.
October 9, 2006 9:40:42 AM

Quote:
ok im stuck now guys , everyones saying different things,

I wanna play all the modern games , with really good graphics ,

But should I wait until Vista and direct x 10 is out , and then build a computer based on that , and get all the new features , like AM2 mobo with SATA2 , DDR2 , directx10 GPU n stuff?

No matter what you listened, don't buy that silly X850XT with $186. That
doesn't worth on the day you can at least get a GF7600GT or maybe even
a 7900GS/X1900GTO. There's a PCIe x16 slot and just don't use that old
fashion X850XT to fill it, no matter what you wanna upgrade or even a new
set.
a b à CPUs
October 9, 2006 9:54:17 AM

I think the overall suggestion is to UPGRADE your video card to at 7600gt or better if you can. The CPU and memory are fine for now and should do you well for a while. If you can afford the $200 or so for the x1900gt than that should be good enough.

My 2cp
October 10, 2006 1:58:36 AM

Hey , what would be the better buy , a X850XT , or a 7600gt? or maybe even a X1600XT?
October 10, 2006 8:13:35 AM

Quote:

lol what nonsense.

For playing todays games by FAR the biggest difference you can make to your systems performance is a graphics card upgrade. CPU and memory will make very little difference to games when the limiting factor is the GF6200. You could put a core 2 duo extreme and 8GB of PC1066 DDR2 in your PC and games would still run like crap.

The only reason to upgrade cpu/ram is if youre doing some major multitasking, or CPU-intensive activity like video rendering. But as I remember you said games.

The thing is socket 939 cpus will probably get hard do fine so you get them while you can. 1gb ram is bearly enough for todays games, and with the g80 only a month away it would be silly to get a 7900gtx now.
October 10, 2006 9:34:26 AM

Ya I was thinking the same things. The performanc to price ratio is most likely ganna suck when they are first launched.

To op:
I know the pain you must be suffering with that 6200, I had fx5200 only I didn't have a super leet amd processor.

I'd say get an x850xt for 120$ on newegg.com, or a 7800gt/x1800xt on ebay for 200$ if newegg wont ship to you. By the time your system starts to show wear the prices will have dropped (hopefully) for the dx10 stuff and there might actually be a game that uses whatever dx10 has to offer. That 6200 is trash/garbage/sht/useless. Anything will be a major upgrade (even the dreaded 6800XT!!!) x850xt is a raw performer for dirt cheap (newegg.com) I'm building two systems with it now for gaming rigs.
October 10, 2006 10:11:34 AM

Easy..upgrade to Intel now.
October 10, 2006 12:25:48 PM

If you ich to play games NOW (and throughout the days off you'll get around xmas), I don't see any reason why you should wait, gaming on a 6200 is like looking at a slideshow...

While the x850 may look good on paper, it lacks Shader Model 3.0 support, you might as well look into a 7600GT in the sub $150 range or a 7900GS if you can afford to spend around $200. A X1900XT cost considerably more (closer to $300 for a 256MB model) but you will get much higher performance than the other two.
October 10, 2006 12:27:32 PM

Quote:

Think of it this way, most games will be going DX10, and by november of next year, you'd need to upgrade your video card, and go to vista anyway.

This answer is so wrong since it does not attend to the content written...

He would go for a cheap x850.. Even if he would w8 he wouldn´t be able to afford a DX10-GPU anyways. So w8ting does help nothing in his situation ;-)

Else is wrong that he has to upgrade his video card for Vista. It runs just fine on an x850 as well. Who really considers to buy Vista before the first service pack is a masochist anyways. PPL who are all about performance will disable Vista´s 3D-desktop on sight anyways and as far as I know the Vista 3D-desktop-crap doesn´t even get installed when the GPU can´t handle it.

All games will support dx9.x even if they are advertising DX10 since publishers can´t afford to loose customers who can´t afford a DX10 GPU (which will be quite alot).

Don´t expect mid range DX10 video cards to be available when Vista goes gold. The DX10-GPU´s will cost you 500+. I even expect them to fly as high as 600+ at starters. Mid range might follow mid of next year but will not supply you decent fps for the DX10-games who are announced yet.

Bearing this and his finance situation in mind he will be fine with his chosen rig. Just I wouldn´t go for an X850 anymore but up to 1280 x 1024 it might be ok.
October 10, 2006 1:26:46 PM

Hey heyhey!! What's happening!! Sorry, flashbacks of the TV show or is it Cheech Martin's "Born in East L.A." Love that movie. 8)

Since you mention the price specifically in US dollars, are you located in Canada or someplace else on this 3rd rock from the sun?

The reason I ask is that you can get a Sapphire X850XT from Newegg for $127. The only problem is that this card doesn't support SM3. If this isn't a problem then it's a great budget card.

I personally believe that the cost of the DX10 cards are going to be expensive for awhile.

I've been waiting for Neverwinter Nights 2 to come out. I heard, haven't confirmed, that it will only support SM3 and not SM2. If it does in fact need a SM3 card to work, then I'd recommend a 7600GT to hold you over.

Are you into overclocking? If so, since you already have some components, the 4200+ dual core you had in mind is a very nice CPU and you can OC it quite a bit. Eventually, when memory goes back down to somewhat reasonable levels, you can pick up another gig for VISTA when SP1 comes out in 2010. ;-)

Btw, what size PSU do you have? You might need to pick up a new one.
October 11, 2006 7:26:57 PM

This is a good thread for people to read. I am soooo torn right now as to whether I should upgrade it's on my mind 24/7!!

I have some good and some bad about my current system: Pentium 4 (Prescott - why oh why did i buy this) at 3GHz, 2GB DDR400 Ram, 6800GT AGP, SATA. Capable, but not great...can play FEAR at better than average settings.

If I upgrade now It's a total cost of around £400 (if i sell my current setup) for a much better system, but one that could VERY soon be out of date again!!! It's driving me nuts...we've had little to no advancements in CPU's or Windows for two years then BAM, it all comes at once!

I also hear that PCI-E 2 is close to fruition.
October 11, 2006 7:31:43 PM

Quote:
I've been waiting for Neverwinter Nights 2 to come out. I heard, haven't confirmed, that it will only support SM3 and not SM2. If it does in fact need a SM3 card to work, then I'd recommend a 7600GT to hold you over.

Me too...for months. I'll have to watch out for that.
!