Sharing a scanner

I'd like to share a scanner (USB interface) between two PC's
one close to the other but the manufacturer's sheet says it
cannot be connected to a hub - on the other hand I heard it
cannot even be shared via internal line (at present I
haven't got it)
someone can help?
il barbi

In article <3Ltlc.135920$hc5.6015216@news3.tin.it>,
angelo.barbieri2@tin.it says...
> I'd like to share a scanner (USB interface) between two PC's
> one close to the other but the manufacturer's sheet says it
> cannot be connected to a hub - on the other hand I heard it
> cannot even be shared via internal line (at present I
> haven't got it)
> someone can help?
> il barbi

Well, a USB hub can only be connected to one computer, so the other
computer couldn't see it.

Just plug it into each computer when needed...USB is hot swappable.

Mac

il barbi wrote:

> I'd like to share a scanner (USB interface) between two PC's
> one close to the other but the manufacturer's sheet says it
> cannot be connected to a hub - on the other hand I heard it
> cannot even be shared via internal line (at present I
> haven't got it)
> someone can help?

I guess it depends upon the scanner. We have an older HP OfficeJet G85 at
work and it is capable of network scanning when used with a compatible
JetDirect print server. We could network print to G85, but not scan, when
it was on an older JetDirect EX Plus (not listed as compatible). But when
the JetDirect card in HP LaserJet 2200DTN died, I put the EX Plus on that,
and got a suitable JetDirct 175X (USB printer port), and I was then able to
successfully install the G software and scan on G85 over the network.

PS: The G85 has both parallel and USB ports, but both CANNOT be used at
same time (whichever used first disables the other until power cycled).

--
David Efflandt http://www.de-srv.com/

"David Efflandt" <efflandt@xnet.com> ha scritto nel
messaggio
> il barbi wrote:
>
> > I'd like to share a scanner (USB interface) between two
PC's
> > one close to the other but the manufacturer's sheet says
it
> > cannot be connected to a hub - on the other hand I heard
it
> > cannot even be shared via internal line (at present I
> > haven't got it)
> > someone can help?
>
> I guess it depends upon the scanner. We have an older HP
OfficeJet G85 at
> work and it is capable of network scanning when used with
a compatible
> JetDirect print server. We could network print to G85,
but not scan, when
> it was on an older JetDirect EX Plus (not listed as
compatible). But when
> the JetDirect card in HP LaserJet 2200DTN died, I put the
EX Plus on that,
> and got a suitable JetDirct 175X (USB printer port), and I
was then able to
> successfully install the G software and scan on G85 over
the network.

> PS: The G85 has both parallel and USB ports, but both
CANNOT be used at
> same time (whichever used first disables the other until
power cycled).

isn't there something like a "double plug" i.e. a
multiplexer cable or some Y cable coming out of the scanner
and entering both PC's?
il barbi

Sorry, it cannot be done.

--
DaveW

On Mon, 03 May 2004 15:41:51 GMT, "il barbi" <angelo.barbieri2@tin.it> wrote:

> I'd like to share a scanner (USB interface) between two PC's
> one close to the other but the manufacturer's sheet says it
> cannot be connected to a hub - on the other hand I heard it
> cannot even be shared via internal line (at present I
> haven't got it)
> someone can help?

Use 2 cables.