Sign in with
Your question

Plan for custom tower with 2 water cooling units.

Last response: in Overclocking
October 6, 2006 10:22:47 AM

I plan on cooling CPU, GPU, PSU, and Memory with 2 independent water cooling units in a custom tower I will be working on. The setups are 2x Blackice240extremes both with 655 pumps. CPU will be an e6600, GPU will be a future Dx10 card, PSU will be an SLI 700+ watts, memory will be at least pc 6400 or more, everything will be OCed to the max (except PSU).

Here is just an idea for a setup, not sure if it's the best way-

First cooling system does CPU to memory to radiator.

Second cooling system GPU (in the future I will have 2 GPUs) to PSU to radiator.

Both radiators will be on the very top (inside) cooled by 8 120mm fans with 78cfm, pushing and pulling air right out the top. All cooling vents will be at the bottom and bottom side of the case covered by a decent air filter. Incase you're wondering, the PSU will be in an unconventional location.

I have no idea which components would generate the most heat (under max load). Any suggestions about the best way to cool the components would be appreciated, thank you.
October 6, 2006 11:10:29 AM

Quote:
I plan on cooling CPU, GPU, PSU, and Memory with 2 independent water cooling units in a custom tower I will be working on. The setups are 2x Blackice240extremes both with 655 pumps. CPU will be an e6600, GPU will be a future Dx10 card, PSU will be an SLI 700+ watts, memory will be at least pc 6400 or more, everything will be OCed to the max (except PSU).

Here is just an idea for a setup, not sure if it's the best way-

First cooling system does CPU to memory to radiator.

Second cooling system GPU (in the future I will have 2 GPUs) to PSU to radiator.

Both radiators will be on the very top (inside) cooled by 8 120mm fans with 78cfm, pushing and pulling air right out the top. All cooling vents will be at the bottom and bottom side of the case covered by a decent air filter. Incase you're wondering, the PSU will be in an unconventional location.

I have no idea which components would generate the most heat (under max load). Any suggestions about the best way to cool the components would be appreciated, thank you.

Why aren't you going to overclock your PSU? Mine's oc'd from 60Hz to ~65, I like living on the edge like that.

Under max load your overclocked GPU will likely generate the most heat, closely followed by your CPU. Don't bother liquid cooling your memory, as long as you have reasonable airflow it's simply not going to get that hot. All you're going to do is seriously restrict your flow. And why are you going to liquid cool your PSU? That's just overkill, as in before, it's not going to get hot enough to warrant being liquid cooled.
October 6, 2006 11:13:56 AM

Well, I'm not all to clear what your goals are for cooling all those components but you might consider a few things first.

The heat generated by memory, even over clocked memory, isn't so great that water cooling it is going to provide you with such an advantage. Frankly, I've yet to see a single water block for system memory that is worth the benefits versus the restrictions that it puts on water flow in a system. Also, I'd assume that you would want to use 1/2 ID tubing to maximize flow potential since you intend on using MCP655s. However, 99% of the ram water blocks use 1/4 ID, where as I know of one, possibly two, that allow for use of 3/8 ID. The lone water block that can use 1/2 ID doesn't run coolant across the chips at all. I tkno water cooling system memory is just a novelty and really isn't worth the restrictions that it puts on a loop. Adequate air circulation and heatsinks on the chips does well enough. It would make mroe sense to cool the NB before the ram. The northbridge coordinates communication between all facets of memory in a computer - system memory, secondary cache, etc. It also is the bridge between the CPU and the graphics ports (PCI, AGP, PCIe, etc). It gets far hotter under load than system memory. However, even a descent HSF setup is adequate for cooling that.

I'm curious as to how you plan on cooling your PSU with coolant. PSU do generate alot of heat but most of it is funnelled outside via the fans of the PSU. What kind of water blocks are you going to be using and how will they be fitted inside the PSU?

Now, as I understand what you've said - you intend on having two dual 120mm fans in a push-pull configuration at the top of this case - internally. How big is this case?

Two independent cooling loops are fine if you wish to seperate the CPU and GPU loops - I'm just not clear of your intentions or how you plan on doing certain things. I run two cooling loops myself - one for the CPU and GPU - but, stuck between those two water blocks are two externally mounted dual 120mm Blck Ice Xtreme rads which, like yours, have 4 120mm fans in a "push-pull" configuration. My second loop is powered by a smaller Mag II LE pump and is used, strictly, for the NB Chipset and the power regulators around my CPU. I use a single 120mm rad (with two fans - "push-pull") that sits at the top and draws air out.
Related resources
October 6, 2006 10:37:05 PM

Thank you for your responses.

How does this sound -

First cooling unit does CPU and PSU(or not).

Second, only does GPU(s).

The PSU is being water cooled because it will be in the front of the computer. I don't want a fan down there conficting with my air currents. A PSU under an SLI load would also be fairly load. I'm trying to make a quite system. However, since there aren't many water chilled PSUs availible I'd be willing to go with a standard PSU and just modify my tower so it's air flow is independent from the main air flow in my tower.

To give you a better idea of the way my tower will be set up I will list my current plan for the location of components -

MB - standard
PSU - front, at the bottom
DVD, HD - front in the middle
Radiators - front to back, top of tower

I'm using acrylic shelves they are throwing away at my work. They just happen to be the same size as a standard full tower.
October 6, 2006 10:41:55 PM

You going to cool you power supply with water?
October 7, 2006 1:27:54 AM

About the orientation of that PSU....

Will you still be pointing the exhaust air from the PSU outside? Like, out the front?
October 7, 2006 6:41:17 AM

Quote:
About the orientation of that PSU....

Will you still be pointing the exhaust air from the PSU outside? Like, out the front?

Not sure about that one.. With 8x 120mm fans blowing air out the top I think the best set up would be having it blow air directly in the tower, sucking it in from the bottom front. But I'm worried the air current would be so strong that it would turn the PSU fan above the max RPMs and burn it out. I'm considering using and air duct to keep the air flow seperate from the main tower.
October 7, 2006 6:54:43 AM

With using 2 water cooling solutions, why also have 8 fvkcing fans too??? :?
October 7, 2006 10:12:08 AM

I hope you realize that all exhausted air from a PSU is heated air.....
October 7, 2006 10:43:09 AM

Quote:
I hope you realize that all exhausted air from a PSU is heated air.....

Yes I realize that, and that is one of the reasons why I am considering a water cooled PSU.
October 7, 2006 10:55:32 AM

About the rads. As I understand it, you are going to use two dual 120mm rads and both will be at the top of the case. How are you going to arrange that?
October 7, 2006 12:04:22 PM

Quote:
About the rads. As I understand it, you are going to use two dual 120mm rads and both will be at the top of the case. How are you going to arrange that?

Probably have both sets of inlet/outlets in the middle. Both radiators being mounted directly on the top panel (inside).

The case is being designed for portability and durability. It may not look that purty when it's done but if you kicked the case, you'd break your foot before breaking the case. I'm using 5mm thick acrylic shelves. Aprox. 520mmx520mm though I can sqeeze about 560mm from one side, which I might have to do to fit the radiators in.
October 7, 2006 12:08:21 PM

So they will be end to end lengthwise or side by side?
October 7, 2006 12:14:06 PM

Quote:
So they will be end to end lengthwise or side by side?

Lengthwise, the tower will be about the same dimensions as a standard full tower.
!