"AMD helps Intel get back its market share"

I'm preparing or the arrival of the horde. This isn't going to go well with them...
As regards the orginal topic:
You make a deal with the devil, it'll come back to haunt you. I guess this is the Devils due for AMD

Shut the f^ck up fanboy troll.
With that out of the way, after that ridiculous and quite pedantic post, I assume I have enough authority to say you don't have enough credibility to question others motives for posting.
Read the signature below

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Interesting editorial at HEXUS.net.

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=6890

Interesting but off base. How can latching on to the largest corporate seller hurt you? They have also signed a deal with the largest Chinese OEM. That will sell more PCs than MESH computers. It's better to get the new volume business than to go with lower volume at the same price point.

By getting in Dell, now more IT people will know who they are. This will translate to more home sales for Dell AMD PCs.

Besides, you can't please everyone.

Sup haven't seen you in a while.
In response to your post though, when most of your market is made up of enthusiasts, especially enthusiasts that see Dell as the Devil incarnate, it isn't a good idea to go pissing them off by getting into bed with Dell.
That being said, I agree, you have to lose one market in order to start gaining in another, all though Intel has the advantage of name recognition, now in both markets.

mkaibear

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
Ahahahahaha. Oh, you make me laugh. Still can't spell, still can't punctuate, still doesn't get the concept of grammar.

Incidentally, barratry is illegal (not that I expect you to know what barratry is...)

Just ignore him and press the report button. He or she will go away soon enough (when the mods ban him). All it's doing right now is just boosting your post count, not furthering the discussion.
He's trolling and you're feeding the troll.
trolls.jpg

As much as I'd like to flame this fool, its an insult to the original poster to hijack this thread before a meaningful discussion has been started. I've already reported his behavior to the moderators. He seem to share the same characteristics with someone who was banned not to long ago. He probably just changed screen names.
They might have to do a IP ban now.

Back to the original topic:
What do you think of it?

mkaibear

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
Yeah, It seemed like a good idea at the time... but now I realise I was being a tool...

I think the arguments make a persuasive case - although we need to ask "who would AMD prefer to be with - the big boys like Dell, or lots of little systems integrators" - and I suspect that they'd prefer to be with Dell - generally predictable income stream, etc...

I think that AMD isn't going to be too worried about losing the enthusiast's market.

When AMD saw that Conroe was coming up and they didn't have an answer, I suspect they *really* heavily began to market themselves to Dell in order to get something together that can keep them going till they can fight Conroe effectively.

mr_fnord

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
This sounds like sour grapes from some small fry OEMs. They're complaining because the 100 chips a week they order aren't as important to AMD as the 20,000 chips a week a large OEM orders. Cry me a river.

The home PC market is approximately 10% of the US PC market. Corporate and enterprise is 90%. Why would any supplier want to ignore 90% of the market? The enthusiast sector is what, 5% of the home market? So AMD should ignore 9 out of 10 computer sales and instead target the finickiest half a percent of the market?

Like the Baron says, more demand will lead to greater production and more money to invest in future tech.

But even with that in mind, have you ever seen a AMD commercial? Everyone here remembers the Blue Man commercials, and knows the Intel jingle. AMD doesn't have that kind of name recognition. When Joe Somebody goes to Best Buy or to Welcome, they'll look for
1. What the can afford
2. What he can recognize.

Go on the street and ask a person what AMD is. Do the same for Intel.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
The thing is, the big money is in the consumer market, and if AMD loses some of the smaller system builders, their grasping for the chance to get the huge consumer market out there. Especially due to the growth rate of PC's these days. The more people are exposed to AMD products through the large system builders, the more they would consider buying them.

It's a good idea, but I don't know how well it will work. Most consumers who buy PC's are unknowledgable at best, so they don't know what is actually better. Sales reps are marginally smarter... say, simian level, but they usually don't care either because they're not buying the computers themselves. Thus, the consumer buys the cheaper one, but not knowing exactly which one is better. Thus AMD steps in and tries to convince people theirs is better without any proof, because they have none. Marketing at its finest.

Eh, AMD will either gain market share, or be crushed. I especially liked how they said Intel opened a can of whoopass that was Conroe.

-Peace

atp777

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
I do believe that this is partially true. The only Dell I have ever owned was a laptop and that was for obvious reasons. I build my own desktop systems and I was 100% sure of using AMD on my next build until Core 2 was released. After I saw the benchmarks of even the E6300 my mind was made up. AMD had nothing to offer for $200 that came close to the performance of an E6300. The news about Dell did leave a bad taste in my mouth. Factory or OEM systems are a bunch of crap and overpriced. Dell does have low cost budget systems, but I wouldn't trust them with a word document. I've known many people to tell me that their Dell system crashed and usually have hardware failure.

I can see it going 2 ways really, it can help AMD or cut off their enthusiast base. Right now it's too early to tell.

Hmmm.....where were you before conroe when Intel couldnt provide competition for the last 3 years? :roll:

They couldn't provide competition, but what processor did people still buy mind you? AMD didn't fully exploit the opening they got when they had the chance. Sun Tzu would have been disappointed in this strategic failure.
You forget we are a small part of the market. The high end enthusiast market accounts for maybe 5% of total sales. With AMD probably more around 25 - 40%.
Eh, AMD will either gain market share, or be crushed. I especially how they said Intel opened a can of whoopass that was Conroe.
Word.

kukito

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
By getting in Dell, now more IT people will know who they are. This will translate to more home sales for Dell AMD PCs.

Besides, you can't please everyone.
I honestly doubt that "IT people" don't know about AMD. Besides, "IT people" are more likely to be enthusiasts, the very people who AMD is now screwing.

Bluefinger

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
AMD is just trying to keep up with Intel. If it can't beat it performance wise, maybe by getting acquainted with large OEMs, it can get a more stable income in order to shove the money back into its research sector. AMD, business-wise, is a little more stable than Intel at the moment, however, AMD really has to think about getting their range of products updated as quickly as possible in order to gain some ground against C2D. K8, despite it being a great architecture, is showing its age now, and AMD cannot keep flogging a dying donkey. Overall, its make or break for AMD, and they have a LOT to lose if they mess up.

jimw428

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
I think AMD is doing all they can with the products they have right now. The Conroe caught them with their pants down, so they can't do much other than cut prices and hang on until they can get new products to the market. In the meantime, increasing share in the huge consumer segment should help preserve the bottom line.

The next product cycle will define the future for AMD. It will be interesting to watch the battle play itself out.