mark01

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
I have an Asus p5n32sli se deluxe mb and an e6600. It's been up and running for a few days now and twice the PC Probe II software has warned of a voltage drop on the vcore. Both times it droped to 1.14v. Otherwise it hovers at 1.26v. Is this a problem? PSU issue? I'm a newbie when it comes to cpu voltages. The PC Probe software is set up with the default values which on vcore is 1/26v and +/- 10% for alerts.

Having a X6800, I know that the processor has a feature called Speed-step that ramps down the voltage of the Core when not using its full potential. Your safe voltage levels are 0.850V-1.3525V. Go to your BIOS and try lowering the alert zone.
Hope this helps you. Ja ne.
Ninja

Raeven_Zero

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
Sounds like a power supply problem to me. Not holding stable voltage when the CPU needs more amps. It only drops when processing a lot of information, correct?

duthoy

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
dasickninja is correct,
it's a speedstep issue, asusprobe is not a good tool to monitor you CPU.
if it is a power problem, you should get some random crashes,..
if the computer is stable, no problem and even if it is undervolting the CPU, that will never damage the CPU, overvolting/clocking will kill your CPU if done too much.

stable = no problem

mark01

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
Thanks for the responses. The bios didn't even suport speedstep so I updated it and it is disabled by default. I will watch and see what happens. If asus probe still gives me alarms I'll rest the thresholds.

Thanks for the responses. The bios didn't even suport speedstep so I updated it and it is disabled by default. I will watch and see what happens. If asus probe still gives me alarms I'll rest the thresholds.

easiest (well one of them) way to check is to use TAT (thermal analysis tool) and watch to see the frequency drop at the same time.

Mine is at 1.3V 2.4Ghz, and when idle it drops to 1.15v 1.6Ghz. saving me about 8C in temp.

You'll see it jump back up when power is needed. Just like Ninja said.