Sign in with
Your question

AMD 1Ghz thunderbird or Pentium4 1,6Ghz

Last response: in CPUs
October 6, 2006 12:21:48 PM

Hi

Ive got a question. I currently have a 1ghz thunderbird with 512mb ddr-sdram in my mediacenter pc. Yesterday I took home a p4 1,6Ghz pc with 768mb of sdr-sdram (the kind wich apperantly makes the p4 slooooow). Now my question is: Wich one is best to use for me MCE?

If I look for bechmarks the p4 1,6ghz 0wns the thunderbird but those are all RDram benchmarks and I cant find one using sdr ram.

PS excuse my english, its been some time since I was active on english forums so my english typing got a bit rusty.
October 6, 2006 12:27:35 PM

Use the AMD stup. The SDR RAM will make you pull out your hair in fustration.
Ja ne,
Ninja
October 6, 2006 12:35:32 PM

But what I would like to know is if the memory matters that much since you basically dont use the memory that much when playing divx/dvd but will use the cpu.
Related resources
October 6, 2006 12:39:28 PM

Memory definitely matters. Try using Firefox with single data rate RAM. Not good for you. If the Intel board can only support the SDR RAM, I'll really suggest investing in the Thunderbird.
October 6, 2006 12:45:59 PM

I know, but what im trying to say is that once its done booting basically all things I will use it for will be mainly using the cpu and I dont think loading a divx will make the difference since that relies on the hdd speed mostly.

Oh and im not saying youre not right, im just wondering since I wonder if the memory is going to be used that much anyway.
October 6, 2006 12:59:20 PM

Trust me, memory is important. I've owned both DDR and SDR RAMS at the same time in similar processors. Don't go thru the pain I went thru with the SDR RAM.
Memory is much more important than you think it is.
The HDD will only be accessed when reading or writing a file. Divx also does rely a bit on memory while your at it.
Once again I'll say, if the P4 board can support the DDR get that instead and take the 512 from the Thunderbird.
a c 132 à CPUs
a b À AMD
October 6, 2006 1:17:32 PM

Quote:
Are you sure the T-bird is running DDR?

I had a 1ghz T-bird back in the day and Im sure it used sdram.

hell i could stick it on a k7s5a and run DDR :) 

its all in the chipset

@ topic.... i think the 1.6 will be better for MCE....but...its still kind of old....

Dont make me get out the K7S5A and try DDR vs SDR(at least in the 1 to 1.6 area)....lol

i did not see a big dif back then....and i had the full mozilla setup installed...

EDIT
damn if i remember right the P4's did not like SD ram.....hmmmm whats an issue...faster cpu....slower ram? who wins...going from 1 to 1.6 should still get you some performance

What else do you have in those systems....what TV card?
October 6, 2006 1:37:05 PM

Ive got one of those nice boards where you can stick in DDR and SDR :)  (ESC k7s5a)

So what it comes down is that Ill need a DDR board for the p4 if I want it to be faster than the thunderbird? In that case it will probably be better (and cheaper) to sell the p4 system and buy a faster cpu because im sure its gonna be a pain to find a s423 board with ddr support (could only find RIMM ones) in this day and age ;) 
October 6, 2006 1:42:26 PM

You're right. To the best of my knowledge, socket 423 never had DDR support. It wasn't until Intel introduced the i845 chipset that DDR ram could be used with the P4, and that was after the transition to socket 478.

Honestly, if you're not currently having any probs with the T-Bird setup, why bother upgrading?
October 6, 2006 1:48:30 PM

Ok as one of the few people here that is still using an AMD Thunderbird 1Ghz with 512MB of single data rate ram pc100 as a matter of fact you should have no problems wiht the AMD system. I have recently bought a dvd drive for my pc and can run dvd movies just fine as well as watching full length movies that I have on my HDD. (although sometime there is audio sync problems but that is usually the movie file) I have never had any problems running movies on my rig and it has been good to me for many years. And to the guy earlier that said try running firefox with sdram I do it every day just fine, with anywhere between 3 and 15 tabs in multiple windows while listening to mp3s in winamp and checking my email and it runs fine. Gets a little slow switching between programs but other than that its just fine.
October 6, 2006 2:17:10 PM

Quote:
You're right. To the best of my knowledge, socket 423 never had DDR support. It wasn't until Intel introduced the i845 chipset that DDR ram could be used with the P4, and that was after the transition to socket 478.

Honestly, if you're not currently having any probs with the T-Bird setup, why bother upgrading?

Ive got a willametta core, so no DDR support for me? im still wondering how much difference the RAM will make. Even a 1400mhz athlon doesnt come close to a p4 1,6Ghz wich has the rambus ram.

Im not having any problems with my Tbird, it runs MCE and divx/dvd just fine (A little faster would be nice but its not really bothering me) but I got the whole P4 system for free so I just want to use the fastest system and give the other to my brother or something. But it seems like nobody actually knows wich one will be faster.
October 6, 2006 2:55:14 PM

Well I have a Celeron 1.8 s478 with mobo if want it. It wasn't mine its my moms old computer board. Its a compaq board p4ga-la. I'm trying to clean out my closet. Just send me a pm if you want it.

Brian
October 6, 2006 4:46:34 PM

Im afraid shipping the mobo to Holland will cost about as much as buying a new mobo + cpu ;) 
!