Need for Speed Underground 2 V1.1 Crashes

Last response: in Video Games
Share
February 11, 2005 11:15:08 PM

Hello,

I installed Need for Speed Underground 2 today including the V1.1 patch. I
installed the NO-CD crack and ran the game, there are no problems except
when I start to race. Everytime I race about half way, the game crashes and
closes itself, I've re-installed the game and patch but it still seems to be
occuring. It seems to be a time limit or something, as I've noticed it
happens after I've played the game for around 10 minutes or so. If anyone
knows what the problem is and has solved it, please let me know. It'd be
greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Jimmy
February 11, 2005 11:15:09 PM

J kirjoitti:
> Hello,
>
> I installed Need for Speed Underground 2 today including the V1.1 patch. I
> installed the NO-CD crack and ran the game, there are no problems except
> when I start to race. Everytime I race about half way, the game crashes and
> closes itself, I've re-installed the game and patch but it still seems to be
> occuring. It seems to be a time limit or something, as I've noticed it
> happens after I've played the game for around 10 minutes or so. If anyone
> knows what the problem is and has solved it, please let me know. It'd be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Jimmy

Crashes without the no-cd patch aswell?

Overheating gfx perhaps? Other games are working?
Overheating in general?

What background apps are running? What OS? Other system specs (gfx atleast)?
February 12, 2005 12:55:55 AM

Hi,

I'm running NVidia GeForce MX 644 (I think) 64.0MB, AMD 2000+ 1.7GHz, 256MB
of RAM, 40GB HDD. I know it's a bit slow but it seems to be working fine
besides the crashing, if I need an upgrade, is there anything I Need to
upgrade in particular instead of upgrading everything? Thanks

"vellu" <velimala@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>J kirjoitti:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I installed Need for Speed Underground 2 today including the V1.1 patch.
>> I installed the NO-CD crack and ran the game, there are no problems
>> except when I start to race. Everytime I race about half way, the game
>> crashes and closes itself, I've re-installed the game and patch but it
>> still seems to be occuring. It seems to be a time limit or something, as
>> I've noticed it happens after I've played the game for around 10 minutes
>> or so. If anyone knows what the problem is and has solved it, please let
>> me know. It'd be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> Jimmy
>
> Crashes without the no-cd patch aswell?
>
> Overheating gfx perhaps? Other games are working?
> Overheating in general?
>
> What background apps are running? What OS? Other system specs (gfx
> atleast)?
Related resources
February 12, 2005 1:16:09 AM

Also forgot to say that I run Windows XP. I thought this would be associated
with a bug or something but then again, it probably isn't...

"J" <ask.me@home.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm running NVidia GeForce MX 644 (I think) 64.0MB, AMD 2000+ 1.7GHz,
> 256MB of RAM, 40GB HDD. I know it's a bit slow but it seems to be working
> fine besides the crashing, if I need an upgrade, is there anything I Need
> to upgrade in particular instead of upgrading everything? Thanks

> "vellu" <velimala@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>J kirjoitti:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I installed Need for Speed Underground 2 today including the V1.1 patch.
>>> I installed the NO-CD crack and ran the game, there are no problems
>>> except when I start to race. Everytime I race about half way, the game
>>> crashes and closes itself, I've re-installed the game and patch but it
>>> still seems to be occuring. It seems to be a time limit or something, as
>>> I've noticed it happens after I've played the game for around 10 minutes
>>> or so. If anyone knows what the problem is and has solved it, please let
>>> me know. It'd be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>>
>>> Jimmy
>>
>> Crashes without the no-cd patch aswell?
>>
>> Overheating gfx perhaps? Other games are working?
>> Overheating in general?
>>
>> What background apps are running? What OS? Other system specs (gfx
>> atleast)?

February 12, 2005 5:44:26 PM

GeForce MX 440 64.0MB

I am highly suspecting it's my computer overheating but am not 100% sure...

Does anyone know what problem it is for sure and how it can be fixed?

> Also forgot to say that I run Windows XP. I thought this would be
> associated with a bug or something but then again, it probably isn't...
>
> "J" <ask.me@home.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm running NVidia GeForce MX 644 (I think) 64.0MB, AMD 2000+ 1.7GHz,
>> 256MB of RAM, 40GB HDD. I know it's a bit slow but it seems to be working
>> fine besides the crashing, if I need an upgrade, is there anything I Need
>> to upgrade in particular instead of upgrading everything? Thanks

>> "vellu" <velimala@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Crashes without the no-cd patch aswell?
>>>
>>> Overheating gfx perhaps? Other games are working?
>>> Overheating in general?
>>>
>>> What background apps are running? What OS? Other system specs (gfx
>>> atleast)?

February 12, 2005 10:27:28 PM

J kirjoitti:
> GeForce MX 440 64.0MB
>
> I am highly suspecting it's my computer overheating but am not 100% sure...
>
> Does anyone know what problem it is for sure and how it can be fixed?

Geforce drivers are up to date, yes?
February 13, 2005 1:35:38 PM

Yes, they are up to date and so is Direct X. I put a fan next to the
computer today and the game worked for longer so I think it's probably the
computer overheating.

>J kirjoitti:
>> GeForce MX 440 64.0MB
>>
>> I am highly suspecting it's my computer overheating but am not 100%
>> sure...
>>
>> Does anyone know what problem it is for sure and how it can be fixed?
>>

> Geforce drivers are up to date, yes?
February 13, 2005 1:35:39 PM

Pretty easy to know if you have an overheating problem or not. Usually the
BIOS has this information. To get to the BIOS tap the Del key, or F2, check
your motherboard manual to make sure. Or you could install Motherboard
Monitor, available here:

http://mbm.livewiredev.com/download.html

Phil
> Yes, they are up to date and so is Direct X. I put a fan next to the
> computer today and the game worked for longer so I think it's probably the
> computer overheating.
>
> "vellu" <velimala@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>J kirjoitti:
>>> GeForce MX 440 64.0MB
>>>
>>> I am highly suspecting it's my computer overheating but am not 100%
>>> sure...
>>>
>>> Does anyone know what problem it is for sure and how it can be fixed?
>>>

>> Geforce drivers are up to date, yes?

February 13, 2005 11:29:47 PM

I installed Motherboard Monitor, when I'm playing NFSU2 it the CPU is 68
degrees celcius and the case is 39 degrees celcius. Am I having an
overheating problem? My motherboard is Gigabyte GA-7DXE. Thanks

"Phil" <pschmit@mchsi.com> wrote in message
> Pretty easy to know if you have an overheating problem or not. Usually the
> BIOS has this information. To get to the BIOS tap the Del key, or F2,
> check your motherboard manual to make sure. Or you could install
> Motherboard Monitor, available here:
>
> http://mbm.livewiredev.com/download.html
>
> Phil
> "J" <ask.me@home.com> wrote in message
>> Yes, they are up to date and so is Direct X. I put a fan next to the
>> computer today and the game worked for longer so I think it's probably
>> the computer overheating.
>>
>> "vellu" <velimala@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Geforce drivers are up to date, yes?

Anonymous
February 13, 2005 11:29:48 PM

"J" <ask.me@home.com> wrote in

> I installed Motherboard Monitor, when I'm playing NFSU2 it the CPU is
> 68 degrees celcius and the case is 39 degrees celcius. Am I having an
> overheating problem? My motherboard is Gigabyte GA-7DXE. Thanks

For an AMD 1.7Ghz that's way too high. I run a P4 Prescott and I run
slightly cooler than that on full load.

If you know how, pull your heatsink and try some Arctic Silver thermal
paste. If you don't then you can find the info on the web or get someone
who knows how to do it. It's not difficult to do, just remember to clean
the old stuff off before putting the new stuff on.

You also need to get the case cooler. If it's tucked away someplace then
pull it out so that air is around it and it can breath a bit better. The
worse place for a pc is in some little cupboard on one of these computer
desks.

If that doesn't cool it down then up grade your case fans and cpu fan.
You may also need to upgrade your cpu heatsink to get rid of the heat
quicker if you can't lower the case temps by much.

A lot of info is available on the web and usenet. try
alt.comp.hardware.overclocking and read through that for cooling
solutions. Also search google and you'll see verious ways to cool it
down.

Do the cpu heatsink first and make sure that's working as good as it can
before looking at the other problems.

When your done, download Prime95 and run that then watch your temps.

A real quick solution is to get a new motherboard and a P4. They use
auto throttling and will slow down at high temps. Not sure if there are
any AMDs that do this but someone will know and post it if there is.
Been a few years since I owned an AMD cpu.

--
Alex Devlin

"Never knowingly understood."
February 13, 2005 11:30:36 PM

Also forgot to say that the CPU is normally 62 degrees celcius and the case
is normally 37 degrees celcius.

"J" <ask.me@home.com> wrote in message
>I installed Motherboard Monitor, when I'm playing NFSU2 it the CPU is 68
>degrees celcius and the case is 39 degrees celcius. Am I having an
>overheating problem? My motherboard is Gigabyte GA-7DXE. Thanks
>

> "Phil" <pschmit@mchsi.com> wrote in message
>> Pretty easy to know if you have an overheating problem or not. Usually
>> the BIOS has this information. To get to the BIOS tap the Del key, or F2,
>> check your motherboard manual to make sure. Or you could install
>> Motherboard Monitor, available here:
>>
>> http://mbm.livewiredev.com/download.html
>>
>> Phil
>> "J" <ask.me@home.com> wrote in message
>>> Yes, they are up to date and so is Direct X. I put a fan next to the
>>> computer today and the game worked for longer so I think it's probably
>>> the computer overheating.
>>>
>>> "vellu" <velimala@hotmail.com> wrote in message

February 13, 2005 11:30:37 PM

J kirjoitti:
> Also forgot to say that the CPU is normally 62 degrees celcius and the case
> is normally 37 degrees celcius.
>
> "J" <ask.me@home.com> wrote in message
>
>>I installed Motherboard Monitor, when I'm playing NFSU2 it the CPU is 68
>>degrees celcius and the case is 39 degrees celcius. Am I having an
>>overheating problem? My motherboard is Gigabyte GA-7DXE. Thanks

That is definitely a bit on the high side. My system (AMD 2400+ XP) runs
at about 50C CPU/35C case, at full 100% cpu load. Not cpu dangerous
levels, but instability causing for sure.
February 14, 2005 12:18:46 AM

Do I need a new fan or a whole motherboard? Thank you for your help guys!

>J kirjoitti:
>> Also forgot to say that the CPU is normally 62 degrees celcius and the
>> case is normally 37 degrees celcius.
>>
>> "J" <ask.me@home.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I installed Motherboard Monitor, when I'm playing NFSU2 it the CPU is 68
>>>degrees celcius and the case is 39 degrees celcius. Am I having an
>>>overheating problem? My motherboard is Gigabyte GA-7DXE. Thanks
>>>

> That is definitely a bit on the high side. My system (AMD 2400+ XP) runs
> at about 50C CPU/35C case, at full 100% cpu load. Not cpu dangerous
> levels, but instability causing for sure.
February 14, 2005 12:18:47 AM

J kirjoitti:
> Do I need a new fan or a whole motherboard? Thank you for your help guys!

Motherboard won't help temperatures. First thing I would check is the
CPU heatsink and cooler. Make sure the heatsink is properly in place
(possibly remove it, clean the contact spot and add silver thermal
combound) and that the fans is spinning as it should. Or buy a new
bigger one, they're not that expensive (for 20eur you can get a pretty
good one).

Also try to improve airflow inside the case. Don't place the case inside
a cupboard. Possibly add case fans (intake and outtake).
February 17, 2005 7:34:22 PM

A friend of mine had the exact same problem. Turned out, the heat sink for
the graphics card was set up to blow heat directly onto the cpu, overheating
it, and shutting it down. He added 2 case fans (one at the front, one in
back) and jury rigged a heat shield, and the prob went away...

> GeForce MX 440 64.0MB
>
> I am highly suspecting it's my computer overheating but am not 100%
sure...

> Does anyone know what problem it is for sure and how it can be fixed?
>

> "J" <ask.me@home.com> wrote in message
> > Also forgot to say that I run Windows XP. I thought this would be
> > associated with a bug or something but then again, it probably isn't...
> >
> > "J" <ask.me@home.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm running NVidia GeForce MX 644 (I think) 64.0MB, AMD 2000+ 1.7GHz,
> >> 256MB of RAM, 40GB HDD. I know it's a bit slow but it seems to be
working
> >> fine besides the crashing, if I need an upgrade, is there anything I
Need
> >> to upgrade in particular instead of upgrading everything? Thanks

> >> "vellu" <velimala@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
April 3, 2005 10:46:24 PM

> Hello,
>
> I installed Need for Speed Underground 2 today including the V1.1 patch. I
> installed the NO-CD crack and ran the game, there are no problems except
> when I start to race. Everytime I race about half way, the game crashes
and
> closes itself, I've re-installed the game and patch but it still seems to
be
> occuring. It seems to be a time limit or something, as I've noticed it
> happens after I've played the game for around 10 minutes or so. If anyone
> knows what the problem is and has solved it, please let me know. It'd be
> greatly appreciated.

I've been messing with this on my sons computer. We tried upgrading to the
latest nvidia driver 71.84 but that didn't help. He already has one case fan
and I hoovered it all out.

What seems to have helped a little is going back to nvidia driver version
61.77.
--
Mike Lewis
!