U.S. DoJ: Limit Sales Bans For The Good of Consumers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warsaw

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
The thing is, it was already banned on Samsung's part when Apple cried foul. Now when it's Apple's turn on the ban hammer, the DOJ and FTC are up in arms trying to do something. I'm not a fanboy of either, but I look at that pure fact and wonder why the sudden interest and not then?

For the record as well, to me the whole "patent wars" is the silliest thing I've ever heard of.

Uberragen21

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
Finally, someone came up with an intelligent solution! Consumers are always the ones losing when a company pulls this crap. We can now benefit despite some stupid, lame-ass, minuscule, insignificant patent being infringed upon.

billiardicus

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2008
[citation][nom]AndrewMD[/nom]Get a plane ticket right NOW and leave this country....[/citation]

If there's anything "this country stands for" it's freedom, including freedom of speech. Freedom means defending even to death the rights of others to do and say things that you don't like or agree with. It seems you would prefer to live in a country where people are not free. Perhaps you should consider leaving. I'm sure you'll find plenty of places to live where no one is allowed to criticize their government.

BriboCN

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
[citation][nom]Warsaw[/nom]The thing is, it was already banned on Samsung's part when Apple cried foul. Now when it's Apple's turn on the ban hammer, the DOJ and FTC are up in arms trying to do something. I'm not a fanboy of either, but I look at that pure fact and wonder why the sudden interest and not then?For the record as well, to me the whole "patent wars" is the silliest thing I've ever heard of.[/citation]

Although I agree with you the timing does seem somewhat suspicious. Remember all government agencies are pretty much slow to react and always a step behind. Patent wars at this point have been carried out to absurd levels and its well past time to reign it in.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
It will be interesting to see what happens, how "just" the US system is. Samsung got Banhammered in record time over patents and now when its Apples turn to be Banhammered over a patents this comes out... The only just thing to do is ban the infringing Apple products as well, otherwise the system ain't Just and that is at-least what it has in its name or is that by name only?

From what i recall the Samsung patents are also real patents that Apple needs to even make Phones / Pads while Samsung only need to make small adjustments mainly to the design of the product to get the ban lifted, if so then Samsung have a way stronger case when it comes to ban the competing product and if its not its foul play and nothing else and it would only serve to prove that justice is fully purchasable in the US...

In the meantime... "Apple paid just $713 million in taxes on its foreign earnings of $36.8 billion for the fiscal year" the rest seems to go to the judges!

cRACKmONKEY421

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
During 2011, the smartphone industry alone spent $20 billion on patents to help protect products. For the first time in their history, spending by both Apple and Google on patents exceeded their spending on research and development of new products.
How stupid is that? Maybe they wouldn't need to be so protective of patents if they put the money into making better products than the competition. All this legal BS hurts the consumer.

f-14

Distinguished
blah blah blah enforce the ban i say.
over seas competition lost my vote when they started illegally dumping in order to knock out american companies, i have no sympathy for those stealing back stabbing crooks.
theft maybe legal in their part of the world, but in america i'd like to see the thieves thrown in PRISON.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
the problem is that apple believes they can set their own prices to use a FRAND patent. they wanted to pay a fraction of what the patent is worth. Instead of paying, they just used it anyway and refuse to pay anything.

Just because another company labels a patent as FRAND doesn't mean it has to just give it away. Apple uses the court system to not pay for patents they are licensing. The DOJ needs to sue apple for wasting taxpayers money to fight their battles. The court system isn't supposed to be for business negotiation, but Apple can't stop suing people.

Kinda funny how its ok to ban samsung, but when its apples turn, gotta put a limit on it. Why? simple, the US government is using iphones. Can't ban a product thats being purchased by the government itself.

http://news.yahoo.com/us-government-agency-ditches-blackberry-favor-iphone-034151788.html

lathe26

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
" For the first time in their history, spending by both Apple and Google on patents exceeded their spending on research and development of new products."

That is the scariest thing I've heard is a month.

ven1ger

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
[citation][nom]lathe26[/nom]" For the first time in their history, spending by both Apple and Google on patents exceeded their spending on research and development of new products."That is the scariest thing I've heard is a month.[/citation]

That's exactly what the politicians have to understand, patents are not helping innovation but stifling innovation. If more money (resources) has to be put into defending/prosecuting/buying up patents instead of R&D, then where is the innovation going to come from? The bar for anyone trying to develop software or tech is getting to be ridiculously high if one has to also have lawyers and a patent pool in their portfolio.

Status
Not open for further replies.