7950 GX2 - runs rediculously HOT

Muhad

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
GPU2 gets up to 169 degrees F. 8O

I put an extra 80mm fan blowing against both cards; it helps.
This unit is very nice but the fans just suck big time; poor design.
Oh, it's a Gigabyte.

Anyone have some good ideas on keeping this puppy cool?

GX2 can't get good airflow due to proximity of PCBs.

There is now liquid cooling if you want, but it's alot trickier because you neeed to unlink the 2 PCBs first.

BTW, 169 isn't THAT hot, about 77C. Sure it could always be lower, but it's far from the hottest I've seen in reviews.

If you look on Nvidia Q&A site and ask about temps, they are quite happy if you stay 'in the yellow' on their temp graph in the drivers. So have a look and see what you are getting. However that only applies for non-overclocked cards.

However like great ape said, 77 ain't that hot, the limit is probably near 100-110 for those, but air cooling them is not nice due to the design, hence the lower memory speeds.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Step 1. Take off Side Panel
Step 2. Drive to Wal-Mart, buy biggest fan you find
Step 3. Point at computer
Step 4. Turn on
Step 5. Cool GPU

Otherwise, your pretty much stuck with what you got since that seems nominal. Not many aftermarket solutions out there either...

DPolkowski

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
When I have them in Quad the top 7950GX2 gets even warmer. It is a design issue. It is within the operating temps and the only thing you can do is give it more airflow. You could cut a hole out of the side panel of your case and install a 120mm fan. You can use a CD as it has the same diameter as 120mm fan. If you have a Dremel or another cutting tool it is rather easy.

1 120mm fan + 1 Fan grill (for looks) = a cooler GPU

the_politician

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
Step 4. Turn on
Step 5. Cool GPU

Otherwise, your pretty much stuck with what you got since that seems nominal. Not many aftermarket solutions out there either...

I did exactly this and my 7950GX2 went from 80 C to 62 C (full load temps). Cheap and effective!!

azndreamer781

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
a gpu can take more temp then a cpu. so a 77 degree c gpu is not really that bad. if it get to like 87 or 90 then u should worry.

Muhad

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
Step 4. Turn on
Step 5. Cool GPU

I am looking for a small air-conditioner! :lol: