Recommendations for scanning text.

I plan to purchase a scanner that will be used primarily to scan black/white
and color text (newspapers, magazines, etc). I plan to then import this
text to MS Word and edit it. I run Windows XP home. I would greatly
appreciate any suggestions (scanner, software, technique, etc).

Thanks in advance for your help.
Bill
1 answer Last reply
More about recommendations scanning text

    "Bill & Debbie" <billdeb@sccoast.net> wrote in message
    > I plan to purchase a scanner that will be used primarily to scan
    black/white
    > and color text (newspapers, magazines, etc). I plan to then import this
    > text to MS Word and edit it. I run Windows XP home. I would greatly
    > appreciate any suggestions (scanner, software, technique, etc).
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help.
    > Bill

    Just about any of the current flatbed scanners that will scan at 300 DPI or
    greater will work for B&W text (1 bit or Bitmap) and grayscale or color.

    For converting the scanned image into editable text requires OCR software.
    About the best and best priced is found at
    http://www.scantips.com/
    Look for A SPECIAL DEAL FOR YOU. (Scroll down a little bit.)
    OmniPage Pro 14 or TextBridge Pro are two of the best OCR packages around.
    OmniPage may be the most accurate.

    Some people like Abby OCR software.
    http://www.abbyy.com/

    Upgrade for $150. If your scanner comes with OCR software in a bundle, then
    you qualify.
    http://www.digitalriver.com/dr/v2/ec_MAIN.Entry10?V1=593406&PN=1&SP=10023&xid=19652&CID=0&DSP=&CUR=840&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=0

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Scanners Microsoft Word Windows XP Peripherals