Recommendations for scanning text.

I plan to purchase a scanner that will be used primarily to scan black/white
and color text (newspapers, magazines, etc). I plan to then import this
text to MS Word and edit it. I run Windows XP home. I would greatly
appreciate any suggestions (scanner, software, technique, etc).

Thanks in advance for your help.
Bill

"Bill & Debbie" <billdeb@sccoast.net> wrote in message
> I plan to purchase a scanner that will be used primarily to scan
black/white
> and color text (newspapers, magazines, etc). I plan to then import this
> text to MS Word and edit it. I run Windows XP home. I would greatly
> appreciate any suggestions (scanner, software, technique, etc).
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
> Bill

Just about any of the current flatbed scanners that will scan at 300 DPI or
greater will work for B&W text (1 bit or Bitmap) and grayscale or color.

For converting the scanned image into editable text requires OCR software.
About the best and best priced is found at
http://www.scantips.com/
Look for A SPECIAL DEAL FOR YOU. (Scroll down a little bit.)
OmniPage Pro 14 or TextBridge Pro are two of the best OCR packages around.
OmniPage may be the most accurate.

Some people like Abby OCR software.
http://www.abbyy.com/

Upgrade for $150. If your scanner comes with OCR software in a bundle, then
you qualify.
http://www.digitalriver.com/dr/v2/ec_MAIN.Entry10?V1=593406&PN=1&SP=10023&xid=19652&CID=0&DSP=&CUR=840&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=0

--
CSM1