Very newbie question.

Steve08533

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2005
Ok heres my situation.
I have my moms computer in my house in which we use a cable modem, and whenever that modem gets unplugged,the internet does not work. Now I bought my own computer and IM going to hook it up in the same house. Do I need another cable modem? Is that all or do a need a router or ethernet? Not even exactly sure what those two are lol.And also, I dont know how the payment thing works with internet, but will we have to pay more or like pay for another plan since we have 2 computers?

riser

Illustrious
Keeping it simple:

Buy a router. You can buy a wireless if you expect to use wireless, otherwise save some cash and buy a router. I recommend Linksys brands. BERSF41 I think is the current model out there for the standard 5 port router. Should be around $40.

Currently your cable modem hooks directly into your mom's computer. What you do instead is hook the Cable modem in the labeled WAN port on the router. From the router, you'll need 2 patch cables that run to each computer.

You're basically set there. Linksys includes excellent documentation on how to set their product up. Basically, you should be able to take it out of the box, put it in the mix and be done with it.

If you go with wireless, you'll want to configure WPA or WEP, depending on which model you buy. If you want to use wireless, post back and I'll go into some detail on using wireless.

aspicer

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2004
I was answering basically the same thing. But the above reply was shorter and more simple ... so I've dropped my post.

Good luck with your cable modem, and potentially your new broadband router and 2 computers on the Internet that way...

I've used BEFSR11's, in fact I've got one here that's been a paper weight for quite some time.

I've also had good luck with the Linksys WRT54G series of Wireless Broadband Routers. You might want to just grab a WRT in case you expect to ever use wireless in the near future (or to have guests over with their laptops). WRT54G have a built in 4 port Switch-Hub for your wired connections as well.

If you've got a few more dollars... and would like longer wireless range, those new SRX Routers also from Linksys have MIMO range and speed enhancing capability.

---
Alan Spicer
http://telecom.dyndns.biz/