Sign in with
Your question

ASUS P5B deluxe acting weird during power up

Last response: in Motherboards
October 6, 2006 9:42:50 PM

Hi i just got my p5b deluxe. when i hit the power switch, my system goes through the following sequence:

1) the fans will rotate full blast for about a second.
2) immediately after, all the fans shut off completely
3) about 2 - 3 seconds later it comes back on with fans full blast
4) another second or so, the fans back down and rotate at a reasonable level
5) system boots up normally after that.

Is anybody else experiencing this, specifcally step#2?
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 108 V Motherboard
October 6, 2006 10:15:53 PM

are they shutting right off?

maybe the board is starting full speed(this avoids underpowering any fans)
then slows down until fans stop(see how slow it can go?)
powers up full(dont want to under power any fans)
then uses its new slow speed?

This is just a guess...after all you can run some fans on 2 volts....but they need to start @ 5....

you can try turning off q-fan and all that to see what happens?
are you over clocking?

on the p5w re start shuts off the computer for 2-3 seconds then restarts it...only when over clocked....

Hope someone has a full answer for this...
a b V Motherboard
October 6, 2006 10:26:38 PM

That's common on recent motherboards, it usually happens whenever a key BIOS value is changed. Check all your settings, especially memory, and if they're right it shouldn't do that at reboot (I can't remember if it does it every time at cold boot).
Related resources
October 6, 2006 10:35:04 PM

Yes, i do have it overclocked. i remember it didn't have the pause the first time I POSTed(no overclocking yet) so that may be it. Thanks for your suggestions. I'll check to see if i have QFan on as well. I've been playing around with so many settings i don't remember anymore.

My setup:

Thermaltake Shark
SeaSonic S12 650W
ASUS P5B Deluxe
E6600 @ 3.6Ghz w/ ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro & Artic Silver 5
Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4 @ DDR-800 4-4-4-12
Radeon X1900XT
HITACHI Deskstar 500GB SATA 3.0GB/s
a b V Motherboard
October 6, 2006 11:14:17 PM

Yes, my P5B-Deluxe does the "double shut off" when I overclock but not at stock CPU speeds. I'm not sure why it does it, but it doesn't really bother me since I don't keep my system overclocked... only for performance testing.

There's a BIOS 0711 available from the ASUS ftp site that I haven't tried yet that's supposed to fix the 321 FSB barrier you get sometimes. Maybe it addresses this too.
October 6, 2006 11:22:08 PM

I just installed the latest 0711 BIOS the other day.

Thanks, that makes me feel better although i still plan to go through my BIOS this evening to doublecheck the settings.
October 8, 2006 4:19:28 AM

Quote:
Hi i just got my p5b deluxe. when i hit the power switch, my system goes through the following sequence:

1) the fans will rotate full blast for about a second.
2) immediately after, all the fans shut off completely
3) about 2 - 3 seconds later it comes back on with fans full blast
4) another second or so, the fans back down and rotate at a reasonable level
5) system boots up normally after that.

Is anybody else experiencing this, specifcally step#2?

Hey I got same problem. Well, kinda :p  This ONLY happens when I turn off the power from the PSU OR from the wall.
a b V Motherboard
October 8, 2006 3:01:47 PM

I just installed BIOS 0711 yesterday. When OC'd, my system still does the short burst of fans and lights for a 1/4 second before turning off then on again. Can't explain it. I forgot to check if it does it only on warm reboots or if it does it also from a cold boot. Anyone else?

On another note, the 321 FSB mystery barrier is now gone from my system and I was able to OC to 400 FSB (2800MHz) and run a few benchies. Temps creeped up to ~70C on load though. Still, a 1GHz OC is incredible to me, especially since I'm totally new to OC'ing and didn't touch any voltages.
October 8, 2006 6:13:31 PM

Mine only happens on cold boot. i also have 0711 installed and OC'd to 3.6Ghz(i agree this is incredible that this CPU can do this consistently). i have an artic cooling freezer 7 pro w/ artic silver 5 and thermatake shark case w/ 2 120mm fans temp at idle is 38C. how do you guys test for load temps?
a b V Motherboard
October 8, 2006 6:30:08 PM

I measure temps using Intel TAT since it measures the temp right at the cores (so I've heard) plus I find the logging feature useful. I stress the system using Prime95 and wait for the temps to stop increasing and stabilize.

I think that ASUS's AI suite is the biggest piece of junk there is. It never has the correct CPU multiplier displayed for my system (or else BIOS, CPU-Z, Coretemp, Intel C2D, WinXP system properties, etc... are wrong). Plus, the new version they released, .16, for some reason causes the "On AC Power" icon to display in the system tray as if I have a laptop. Of course it's on AC power, it's a desktop PC!!! If I go into the power properties and manually remove the icon from the system tray, it reappers upon reboot :evil:  .
!