DemonOne

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
Hello all,

I own a 3 year old A7N8x deluxe mobo and it started acting up again, the problem is that it shuts itself down after a random number of seconds after power up.
I know what you think: "It must be the COP feature, your CPU is overheating", well, I'm afraid that's not the case.
The mobo shuts down, but for some strange reason, the power LED on the CASE stays lit, furthermore, the power button has to be pressed for 10 seconds till the PSU shuts down (while the mobo is already turned off).
Sometimes my dual DDR modules stay ON (they have power LEDs) as well, after everything else shuts down.

A month ago my CPU started overheating, causing the COP feature to shut down my board completely a few times, reaching 70C degrees on bootup, so I cleaned up the CPU cooler and reapplied thermal paste to get 41C degrees at idle state.

Now, the sad thing is that the weird non-COP shutdowns started occuring about a month after I bought the board (3 years ago), and the retailer's lab tech replaced my CPU once and my PSU twice, finally claiming the PSU was to blame.

That might have stuck if I haven't actually replaced my no-brand PSU with a new "Spire Rocketeer 400W" two days before the board started exhibiting the shutdowns again (a week before this was posted).
I did replace my AGP card with a newer one at the same time and the system worked well for two days.

Finally, when the problem first occured 3 years ago, I was able to get my computer to boot and stay on for days just by trying to turn it on again and again till it didn't shut down, the thing is, that now I can't seem to make it work for more than 30-60 seconds.

ASUS tech support was never helpful, I hope someone can give insight.

Thanks in advance,
Avi.

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I would still ask have you another PSU you can try ??

some boards can be quite fussy about the PSU used with them (Sis735 comes to mind)

or your board could be damaged, do you use a surge protector ??

(if you use a surge protector, try running straight from the wall, i have heard it known that the surge protector was at fault for some of these issues)

DemonOne

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
Hey marneus,

I did try it with the original PSU and it still acted up, and I don't use a surge protector... I should actually try to power it up from a different outlet just to be sure it's not a power issue.

bobble

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2007
hello.

could you tell me if you solved this a7n8x delux problem please? i have the exact same problem and don't know what to do.

DemonOne

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
Hey bobble,

It's bad news for you, sadly.

The short story: threw away the mobo

The Long story:

I took that PC to a lab and they couldn't make it work, even after changing any piece of hardware including the PSU.
After I bought a new mobo (non Asus, just to be safe) + cpu + gfx card, it was discovered that my new PSU was defected as well, and I replaced it, actually I couldn't even power my old PSU manually.

I tend to believe that there's something screwed up with my apartment's electrical system, since it probably contributed to the demise of atleast 2 PSUs and one mobo to date.

I finally decided to get an "in-line" UPS to try and protect my hardware, though my "new" rig did power down on me unexpectedly a month ago (still haunts me).