How does Cingular do A-GPS/e911/Location Based stuff?

What technology does Cingular use and have they released a developer's
kit for it? I figured they'd have a java API released (like all the
other vendors), but I cannot find one. There's NO talk on the
Cingular developer's website - I asked there first :-(.

Thanks!

Bret
1 answer Last reply
More about cingular e911 location based stuff

    In <ef718c89.0411172128.54ddb1b9@posting.google.com> on 17 Nov 2004 21:28:40
    -0800, bret.schuhmacher@aspect.com (Bret Schuhmacher) wrote:

    >What technology does Cingular use and have they released a developer's
    >kit for it? I figured they'd have a java API released (like all the
    >other vendors), but I cannot find one. There's NO talk on the
    >Cingular developer's website - I asked there first :-(.

    <http://www.911dispatch.com/911_file/tech_choices.html>

    Phase II Wireless E911 Technology Choices

    As of May 2003, here are the methods being used by the largest wireless
    carriers to provide Phase II service:

    Carrier Network
    Technology Phase II Technology Type
    T-Mobile GSM E-OTD* network
    Nextel iDEN A-GPS handset
    Cingular TDMA-GSM E-OTD* network
    AT&T Wireless TDMA-GSM E-OTD* network
    Verizon CDMA A-GPS/AFLT handset
    Sprint CDMA A-GPS/AFLT handset

    Both Cingular and AT&T Wireless are phasing out their TDMA networks.

    * In Oct. 2002 Cingular and AT&T Wireless notified the FCC that it was
    halting E-OTD development because they were uncertaint that
    the technique could meet the accuracy requirement by the Commission's
    deadline. In March 2003 T-Mobile also told the FCC
    it would stop deployment of E-OTD gear. The carriers said they would test
    U-TDOA technology to provide Phase II service.

    <http://www.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=404>

    Cingular Switches to U-TDOA for E-911 Positioning

    Date Posted: Dec 17, 2002, 12:25 AM Source: Wireless Week

    Cingular has decided to switch technologies for meeting the FCC's
    E-911 mandate for locating 911 callers. Cingular has told the FCC
    that after completing successful field trials involving
    TruePosition's network-based U-TDOA technology, it was moving away
    from E-OTD, which so far has failed accuracy tests, resulting in
    delays and financial penalties. Cingular in October suspended
    shipments of E-OTD gear and began testing TruePosition's solution.

    <http://www.trueposition.com/news_03.10.03_cingulargsm.php>

    TruePosition and Cingular Sign National Multi-Year Agreement For GSM
    Location Solution

    TruePosition's U-TDOA Location Solution Provides High Accuracy For
    Anyphone, Anywhere

    KING OF PRUSSIA, Pa. and ATLANTA, Ga., March 10, 2003

Cingular GPS Internet Service Providers