Speed of USB vs. Paralell Port Scanners?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
May 11, 2004 4:34:37 AM

I have an old Umax 1220P (parallel port) scanner on a 1.2 gHz Athlon & 256
MB RAM ( USB 2.0 available).

I need to make black & white scans of 8.5" x 11" line art drawings at 1200
DPI.

The Umax 1220P takes about 7 minutes to make such a scan.

Will a more modern consumer grade USB scanner be appreciably faster?

Thank you,

Mark D. Fain
Anonymous
May 11, 2004 2:33:54 PM

In article <5p6dnflTGJZAyj3dRVn-hA@bright.net>, fain@brightdsl.net
says...
> I have an old Umax 1220P (parallel port) scanner on a 1.2 gHz Athlon & 256
> MB RAM ( USB 2.0 available).
>
> I need to make black & white scans of 8.5" x 11" line art drawings at 1200
> DPI.
>
> The Umax 1220P takes about 7 minutes to make such a scan.
>
> Will a more modern consumer grade USB scanner be appreciably faster?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Mark D. Fain

Yes.
The info bus is faster, but just as significantly, the scanners
themselves are faster.

Also, your scanner is only 600 ppi optical, so you've been interpolating
up to 1200 all this time rather than getting actual 1200ppi sampling.

Mac
Anonymous
May 16, 2004 6:46:16 PM

On Tue, 11 May 2004 00:34:37 -0400, "Mark D. Fain"
<fain@brightdsl.net> wrote:

>I have an old Umax 1220P (parallel port) scanner on a 1.2 gHz Athlon & 256
>MB RAM ( USB 2.0 available).
>
>I need to make black & white scans of 8.5" x 11" line art drawings at 1200
>DPI.
>
>The Umax 1220P takes about 7 minutes to make such a scan.
>
>Will a more modern consumer grade USB scanner be appreciably faster?
>
>Thank you,
>
>Mark D. Fain

Mark,

Just tested for you - the Epson Perfection 1670 (USB 2.0) takes 2min
25sec to scan full A4 size at 1200dpi on Athlon 1.7Ghz Preview was 5
seconds. This model is supposed to be three times faster than the
previous 1600 series Perfections.

Picture quality is better (IMHO) than UMAX's. I just upgraded from
UMAX 1200S which was disappointing speedwise even for SCSI.

-Dave Chiew
Anonymous
May 16, 2004 6:46:17 PM

Thank you for taking the time to run this test for me. The Epson 1670 was
one of the scanners I was thinking of upgrading to, so your info is perfect.

Thanks again,

Mark D. Fain

!