Speed of USB vs. Paralell Port Scanners?

I have an old Umax 1220P (parallel port) scanner on a 1.2 gHz Athlon & 256
MB RAM ( USB 2.0 available).

I need to make black & white scans of 8.5" x 11" line art drawings at 1200
DPI.

The Umax 1220P takes about 7 minutes to make such a scan.

Will a more modern consumer grade USB scanner be appreciably faster?

Thank you,

Mark D. Fain
3 answers Last reply
More about speed paralell port scanners

    In article <5p6dnflTGJZAyj3dRVn-hA@bright.net>, fain@brightdsl.net
    says...
    > I have an old Umax 1220P (parallel port) scanner on a 1.2 gHz Athlon & 256
    > MB RAM ( USB 2.0 available).
    >
    > I need to make black & white scans of 8.5" x 11" line art drawings at 1200
    > DPI.
    >
    > The Umax 1220P takes about 7 minutes to make such a scan.
    >
    > Will a more modern consumer grade USB scanner be appreciably faster?
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Mark D. Fain

    Yes.
    The info bus is faster, but just as significantly, the scanners
    themselves are faster.

    Also, your scanner is only 600 ppi optical, so you've been interpolating
    up to 1200 all this time rather than getting actual 1200ppi sampling.

    Mac

    On Tue, 11 May 2004 00:34:37 -0400, "Mark D. Fain"
    <fain@brightdsl.net> wrote:

    >I have an old Umax 1220P (parallel port) scanner on a 1.2 gHz Athlon & 256
    >MB RAM ( USB 2.0 available).
    >
    >I need to make black & white scans of 8.5" x 11" line art drawings at 1200
    >DPI.
    >
    >The Umax 1220P takes about 7 minutes to make such a scan.
    >
    >Will a more modern consumer grade USB scanner be appreciably faster?
    >
    >Thank you,
    >
    >Mark D. Fain

    Mark,

    Just tested for you - the Epson Perfection 1670 (USB 2.0) takes 2min
    25sec to scan full A4 size at 1200dpi on Athlon 1.7Ghz Preview was 5
    seconds. This model is supposed to be three times faster than the
    previous 1600 series Perfections.

    Picture quality is better (IMHO) than UMAX's. I just upgraded from
    UMAX 1200S which was disappointing speedwise even for SCSI.

    -Dave Chiew
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    Thank you for taking the time to run this test for me. The Epson 1670 was
    one of the scanners I was thinking of upgrading to, so your info is perfect.

    Thanks again,

    Mark D. Fain
    "dave chiew" <csaurus@tm.nut.my> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 11 May 2004 00:34:37 -0400, "Mark D. Fain"
    > <fain@brightdsl.net> wrote:
    >
    > >I have an old Umax 1220P (parallel port) scanner on a 1.2 gHz Athlon &
    256
    > >MB RAM ( USB 2.0 available).
    > >
    > >I need to make black & white scans of 8.5" x 11" line art drawings at
    1200
    > >DPI.
    > >
    > >The Umax 1220P takes about 7 minutes to make such a scan.
    > >
    > >Will a more modern consumer grade USB scanner be appreciably faster?
    > >
    > >Thank you,
    > >
    > >Mark D. Fain
    > >

    > Mark,
    >
    > Just tested for you - the Epson Perfection 1670 (USB 2.0) takes 2min
    > 25sec to scan full A4 size at 1200dpi on Athlon 1.7Ghz Preview was 5
    > seconds. This model is supposed to be three times faster than the
    > previous 1600 series Perfections.
    >
    > Picture quality is better (IMHO) than UMAX's. I just upgraded from
    > UMAX 1200S which was disappointing speedwise even for SCSI.
    >
    > -Dave Chiew

Scanners Umax USB Peripherals