Slow downs in NFSU2

Is it just me or is it common for the FPS in NFU2 to slow down drastically
to a point where it becomes unplayable? It doesn't get jerky like some PC
hogs e.g. Doom 3, but goes into a state of permanent "motion blur".
Restarting the game usually but not always cures it, at least for a while.
Nuisance!

Vellu

Doug_Dread@eskom.co.za kirjoitti:
> Is it just me or is it common for the FPS in NFU2 to slow down drastically
> to a point where it becomes unplayable? It doesn't get jerky like some PC
> hogs e.g. Doom 3, but goes into a state of permanent "motion blur".
> Restarting the game usually but not always cures it, at least for a while.
> Nuisance!

Very odd, haven't heard anything like this happening to anyway. Usually
if the games lags, it lags right away, not after a few minutes of play.

System specs, please? Specifically graphic card/driver version.

System:
P4 2.55 GHz on Gigabyte 8INXP mobo, onboard AC'97 sound.
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro, drivers CAT 5.1
512 MB Ram

The game can play smoothly for hours, I don't know what triggers the
slow-downs, they seem totally random. Getting off the throttle, letting all
go quiet on the screen and then resuming play is sometimes enough to get it
going again, but mostly it needs the game to be restarted. In a few extreme
cases, a reboot is needed.

I hope my 9700 Pro isn't dying of old age or heatstroke :)

"vellu" <velimala@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Doug_Dread@eskom.co.za kirjoitti:
> > Is it just me or is it common for the FPS in NFU2 to slow down
drastically
> > to a point where it becomes unplayable? It doesn't get jerky like some
PC
> > hogs e.g. Doom 3, but goes into a state of permanent "motion blur".
> > Restarting the game usually but not always cures it, at least for a
while.
> > Nuisance!
> >

> Very odd, haven't heard anything like this happening to anyway. Usually
> if the games lags, it lags right away, not after a few minutes of play.
>
> System specs, please? Specifically graphic card/driver version.

Vellu

Your 9700Pro is quite enough so that shouldn't be the problem. Sounds
like this could be some background program kicking in; a virus scanner,
disk manager or something like that.

See what background apps are running, maybe there's a resource hog
somewhere.

Doug_Dread@eskom.co.za kirjoitti:
> System:
> P4 2.55 GHz on Gigabyte 8INXP mobo, onboard AC'97 sound.
> ATI Radeon 9700 Pro, drivers CAT 5.1
> 512 MB Ram
>
> The game can play smoothly for hours, I don't know what triggers the
> slow-downs, they seem totally random. Getting off the throttle, letting all
> go quiet on the screen and then resuming play is sometimes enough to get it
> going again, but mostly it needs the game to be restarted. In a few extreme
> cases, a reboot is needed.
>
> I hope my 9700 Pro isn't dying of old age or heatstroke :)
>
> "vellu" <velimala@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Doug_Dread@eskom.co.za kirjoitti:
>>
>>>Is it just me or is it common for the FPS in NFU2 to slow down
>
> drastically
>
>>>to a point where it becomes unplayable? It doesn't get jerky like some
>
> PC
>
>>>hogs e.g. Doom 3, but goes into a state of permanent "motion blur".
>>>Restarting the game usually but not always cures it, at least for a
>
> while.
>
>>>Nuisance!
>>>

>>Very odd, haven't heard anything like this happening to anyway. Usually
>>if the games lags, it lags right away, not after a few minutes of play.
>>
>>System specs, please? Specifically graphic card/driver version.

I have already discarded Microsoft's Anti-spyware for getting in my face
without an invitation, will check for others. Thanks. :)

> Your 9700Pro is quite enough so that shouldn't be the problem. Sounds
> like this could be some background program kicking in; a virus scanner,
> disk manager or something like that.
>
> See what background apps are running, maybe there's a resource hog
> somewhere.
>

> Doug_Dread@eskom.co.za kirjoitti:
> > System:
> > P4 2.55 GHz on Gigabyte 8INXP mobo, onboard AC'97 sound.
> > ATI Radeon 9700 Pro, drivers CAT 5.1
> > 512 MB Ram
> >
> > The game can play smoothly for hours, I don't know what triggers the
> > slow-downs, they seem totally random. Getting off the throttle, letting
all
> > go quiet on the screen and then resuming play is sometimes enough to get
it
> > going again, but mostly it needs the game to be restarted. In a few
extreme
> > cases, a reboot is needed.
> >
> > I hope my 9700 Pro isn't dying of old age or heatstroke :)
> >
> > "vellu" <velimala@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > drastically

> > PC

> > while.

> >>Very odd, haven't heard anything like this happening to anyway. Usually
> >>if the games lags, it lags right away, not after a few minutes of play.
> >>
> >>System specs, please? Specifically graphic card/driver version.

Jez

Doug_Dread@eskom.co.za wrote:
> System:
> P4 2.55 GHz on Gigabyte 8INXP mobo, onboard AC'97 sound.
> ATI Radeon 9700 Pro, drivers CAT 5.1
> 512 MB Ram
>
> The game can play smoothly for hours, I don't know what triggers the
> slow-downs, they seem totally random. Getting off the throttle, letting all
> go quiet on the screen and then resuming play is sometimes enough to get it
> going again, but mostly it needs the game to be restarted. In a few extreme
> cases, a reboot is needed.
>
> I hope my 9700 Pro isn't dying of old age or heatstroke :)

I had a 9700 pro, and when maxed out NFU2 played fine.....for a few
days, then all hell broke lose,
The game would run fine for an hour or so, then just go all jerky, then
freeze up,
turned out that the fan on the card had died, and that was the end of my
9700, (Which was a damn fine card !!!), Now I have a 9800 pro and NFU2
works just fine...but I would suggest you check the fan on the graphic
card, as i does tend to get clogged up, and is quite a small fan for the
card.
(You can clean the grime out of the fan quite easily, with some
toothpicks and a vacuum cleaner ! LOL)

Replacing it with an artic cooler, some have found to help with heat
probs on the 9700.

HTH

--
Jez
'Realism is seductive because once you have accepted the reasonable

NFS Underground2, Americas Army And MOH-PA

"Jez" <iced_spear@NODAMNSPAMpipex.com> wrote in message
> Doug_Dread@eskom.co.za wrote:
> > System:
> > P4 2.55 GHz on Gigabyte 8INXP mobo, onboard AC'97 sound.
> > ATI Radeon 9700 Pro, drivers CAT 5.1
> > 512 MB Ram
> >
> > The game can play smoothly for hours, I don't know what triggers the
> > slow-downs, they seem totally random. Getting off the throttle, letting
all
> > go quiet on the screen and then resuming play is sometimes enough to get
it
> > going again, but mostly it needs the game to be restarted. In a few
extreme
> > cases, a reboot is needed.
> >
> > I hope my 9700 Pro isn't dying of old age or heatstroke :)
>
> I had a 9700 pro, and when maxed out NFU2 played fine.....for a few
> days, then all hell broke lose,
> The game would run fine for an hour or so, then just go all jerky, then
> freeze up,
> turned out that the fan on the card had died, and that was the end of my
> 9700, (Which was a damn fine card !!!), Now I have a 9800 pro and NFU2
> works just fine...but I would suggest you check the fan on the graphic
> card, as i does tend to get clogged up, and is quite a small fan for the
> card.
> (You can clean the grime out of the fan quite easily, with some
> toothpicks and a vacuum cleaner ! LOL)
>
> Replacing it with an artic cooler, some have found to help with heat
> probs on the 9700.
>
> HTH

Thanks. I did a planned format C (for hassles not related to NFSU2), and the
problem persisted. Then a couple of weeks later I had an unplanned format C,
thanks to a friend who was sure he could fix the hassles and vapourised my
file system. The slowdowns have actually gone away now, except a bit when I
go onto the "gravel" roads (maybe just needs a bit more RAM). Didn't have a
chance to grab the savegame files so I had to revert to the previous backup
and catch up the 2 weeks... grrrrrr.

Nevertheless, cleaning my card's fan is good housekeeping anyway, I'll do
that. Don't have a toothpick or vacuum cleaner, will a high pressure hose
do? ;)

I do recognize this, first played the game on a P3-450 MHz where I had
little problem winning all races. Had a frame-rate of only 7 fps so it was
only just playable. After a while I notices that a race took me 8 minutes in
realtime while the game menstioned a time of 4 minutes. So what happened was
that the game was executes at half the realtime-speed on slow computers to
keep it playable. Which sure worked as I could enjouy the game. I came quite
far in career-mode this way :) I now have upgraded to a Athlon64-3.5 GHz
and the game is suddelly a lot harder :)

Ton
--

<Doug_Dread@eskom.co.za> wrote in message
> Is it just me or is it common for the FPS in NFU2 to slow down drastically
> to a point where it becomes unplayable? It doesn't get jerky like some PC
> hogs e.g. Doom 3, but goes into a state of permanent "motion blur".
> Restarting the game usually but not always cures it, at least for a while.
> Nuisance!

Vellu

Ton den Hartog kirjoitti:
> I do recognize this, first played the game on a P3-450 MHz where I had
> little problem winning all races. Had a frame-rate of only 7 fps so it was
> only just playable. After a while I notices that a race took me 8 minutes in
> realtime while the game menstioned a time of 4 minutes. So what happened was
> that the game was executes at half the realtime-speed on slow computers to
> keep it playable. Which sure worked as I could enjouy the game. I came quite
> far in career-mode this way :) I now have upgraded to a Athlon64-3.5 GHz
> and the game is suddelly a lot harder :)
>
> Ton

OMG, the game actually starts on a P3-450MHz? Wouldn't have even tried
myself (despite the gfx).

aahz

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005

LOL, I did the same thing on a 433 with GTA Vice City- things got a LOT
harder at realtime!