Slow downs in NFSU2

Is it just me or is it common for the FPS in NFU2 to slow down drastically
to a point where it becomes unplayable? It doesn't get jerky like some PC
hogs e.g. Doom 3, but goes into a state of permanent "motion blur".
Restarting the game usually but not always cures it, at least for a while.
Nuisance!
9 answers Last reply
More about slow downs nfsu2
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.need-for-speed (More info?)

    Doug_Dread@eskom.co.za kirjoitti:
    > Is it just me or is it common for the FPS in NFU2 to slow down drastically
    > to a point where it becomes unplayable? It doesn't get jerky like some PC
    > hogs e.g. Doom 3, but goes into a state of permanent "motion blur".
    > Restarting the game usually but not always cures it, at least for a while.
    > Nuisance!

    Very odd, haven't heard anything like this happening to anyway. Usually
    if the games lags, it lags right away, not after a few minutes of play.

    System specs, please? Specifically graphic card/driver version.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.need-for-speed (More info?)

    System:
    P4 2.55 GHz on Gigabyte 8INXP mobo, onboard AC'97 sound.
    ATI Radeon 9700 Pro, drivers CAT 5.1
    512 MB Ram

    The game can play smoothly for hours, I don't know what triggers the
    slow-downs, they seem totally random. Getting off the throttle, letting all
    go quiet on the screen and then resuming play is sometimes enough to get it
    going again, but mostly it needs the game to be restarted. In a few extreme
    cases, a reboot is needed.

    I hope my 9700 Pro isn't dying of old age or heatstroke :)

    "vellu" <velimala@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Doug_Dread@eskom.co.za kirjoitti:
    > > Is it just me or is it common for the FPS in NFU2 to slow down
    drastically
    > > to a point where it becomes unplayable? It doesn't get jerky like some
    PC
    > > hogs e.g. Doom 3, but goes into a state of permanent "motion blur".
    > > Restarting the game usually but not always cures it, at least for a
    while.
    > > Nuisance!
    > >

    > Very odd, haven't heard anything like this happening to anyway. Usually
    > if the games lags, it lags right away, not after a few minutes of play.
    >
    > System specs, please? Specifically graphic card/driver version.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.need-for-speed (More info?)

    Your 9700Pro is quite enough so that shouldn't be the problem. Sounds
    like this could be some background program kicking in; a virus scanner,
    disk manager or something like that.

    See what background apps are running, maybe there's a resource hog
    somewhere.

    Doug_Dread@eskom.co.za kirjoitti:
    > System:
    > P4 2.55 GHz on Gigabyte 8INXP mobo, onboard AC'97 sound.
    > ATI Radeon 9700 Pro, drivers CAT 5.1
    > 512 MB Ram
    >
    > The game can play smoothly for hours, I don't know what triggers the
    > slow-downs, they seem totally random. Getting off the throttle, letting all
    > go quiet on the screen and then resuming play is sometimes enough to get it
    > going again, but mostly it needs the game to be restarted. In a few extreme
    > cases, a reboot is needed.
    >
    > I hope my 9700 Pro isn't dying of old age or heatstroke :)
    >
    > "vellu" <velimala@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Doug_Dread@eskom.co.za kirjoitti:
    >>
    >>>Is it just me or is it common for the FPS in NFU2 to slow down
    >
    > drastically
    >
    >>>to a point where it becomes unplayable? It doesn't get jerky like some
    >
    > PC
    >
    >>>hogs e.g. Doom 3, but goes into a state of permanent "motion blur".
    >>>Restarting the game usually but not always cures it, at least for a
    >
    > while.
    >
    >>>Nuisance!
    >>>

    >>Very odd, haven't heard anything like this happening to anyway. Usually
    >>if the games lags, it lags right away, not after a few minutes of play.
    >>
    >>System specs, please? Specifically graphic card/driver version.

  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.need-for-speed (More info?)

    I have already discarded Microsoft's Anti-spyware for getting in my face
    without an invitation, will check for others. Thanks. :)

    > Your 9700Pro is quite enough so that shouldn't be the problem. Sounds
    > like this could be some background program kicking in; a virus scanner,
    > disk manager or something like that.
    >
    > See what background apps are running, maybe there's a resource hog
    > somewhere.
    >

    > Doug_Dread@eskom.co.za kirjoitti:
    > > System:
    > > P4 2.55 GHz on Gigabyte 8INXP mobo, onboard AC'97 sound.
    > > ATI Radeon 9700 Pro, drivers CAT 5.1
    > > 512 MB Ram
    > >
    > > The game can play smoothly for hours, I don't know what triggers the
    > > slow-downs, they seem totally random. Getting off the throttle, letting
    all
    > > go quiet on the screen and then resuming play is sometimes enough to get
    it
    > > going again, but mostly it needs the game to be restarted. In a few
    extreme
    > > cases, a reboot is needed.
    > >
    > > I hope my 9700 Pro isn't dying of old age or heatstroke :)
    > >
    > > "vellu" <velimala@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > > drastically

    > > PC

    > > while.

    > >>Very odd, haven't heard anything like this happening to anyway. Usually
    > >>if the games lags, it lags right away, not after a few minutes of play.
    > >>
    > >>System specs, please? Specifically graphic card/driver version.

  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.need-for-speed (More info?)

    Doug_Dread@eskom.co.za wrote:
    > System:
    > P4 2.55 GHz on Gigabyte 8INXP mobo, onboard AC'97 sound.
    > ATI Radeon 9700 Pro, drivers CAT 5.1
    > 512 MB Ram
    >
    > The game can play smoothly for hours, I don't know what triggers the
    > slow-downs, they seem totally random. Getting off the throttle, letting all
    > go quiet on the screen and then resuming play is sometimes enough to get it
    > going again, but mostly it needs the game to be restarted. In a few extreme
    > cases, a reboot is needed.
    >
    > I hope my 9700 Pro isn't dying of old age or heatstroke :)

    I had a 9700 pro, and when maxed out NFU2 played fine.....for a few
    days, then all hell broke lose,
    The game would run fine for an hour or so, then just go all jerky, then
    freeze up,
    turned out that the fan on the card had died, and that was the end of my
    9700, (Which was a damn fine card !!!), Now I have a 9800 pro and NFU2
    works just fine...but I would suggest you check the fan on the graphic
    card, as i does tend to get clogged up, and is quite a small fan for the
    card.
    (You can clean the grime out of the fan quite easily, with some
    toothpicks and a vacuum cleaner ! LOL)

    Replacing it with an artic cooler, some have found to help with heat
    probs on the 9700.

    HTH

    --
    Jez
    'Realism is seductive because once you have accepted the reasonable

    NFS Underground2, Americas Army And MOH-PA
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.need-for-speed (More info?)

    "Jez" <iced_spear@NODAMNSPAMpipex.com> wrote in message
    > Doug_Dread@eskom.co.za wrote:
    > > System:
    > > P4 2.55 GHz on Gigabyte 8INXP mobo, onboard AC'97 sound.
    > > ATI Radeon 9700 Pro, drivers CAT 5.1
    > > 512 MB Ram
    > >
    > > The game can play smoothly for hours, I don't know what triggers the
    > > slow-downs, they seem totally random. Getting off the throttle, letting
    all
    > > go quiet on the screen and then resuming play is sometimes enough to get
    it
    > > going again, but mostly it needs the game to be restarted. In a few
    extreme
    > > cases, a reboot is needed.
    > >
    > > I hope my 9700 Pro isn't dying of old age or heatstroke :)
    >
    > I had a 9700 pro, and when maxed out NFU2 played fine.....for a few
    > days, then all hell broke lose,
    > The game would run fine for an hour or so, then just go all jerky, then
    > freeze up,
    > turned out that the fan on the card had died, and that was the end of my
    > 9700, (Which was a damn fine card !!!), Now I have a 9800 pro and NFU2
    > works just fine...but I would suggest you check the fan on the graphic
    > card, as i does tend to get clogged up, and is quite a small fan for the
    > card.
    > (You can clean the grime out of the fan quite easily, with some
    > toothpicks and a vacuum cleaner ! LOL)
    >
    > Replacing it with an artic cooler, some have found to help with heat
    > probs on the 9700.
    >
    > HTH

    Thanks. I did a planned format C (for hassles not related to NFSU2), and the
    problem persisted. Then a couple of weeks later I had an unplanned format C,
    thanks to a friend who was sure he could fix the hassles and vapourised my
    file system. The slowdowns have actually gone away now, except a bit when I
    go onto the "gravel" roads (maybe just needs a bit more RAM). Didn't have a
    chance to grab the savegame files so I had to revert to the previous backup
    and catch up the 2 weeks... grrrrrr.

    Nevertheless, cleaning my card's fan is good housekeeping anyway, I'll do
    that. Don't have a toothpick or vacuum cleaner, will a high pressure hose
    do? ;)
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.need-for-speed (More info?)

    I do recognize this, first played the game on a P3-450 MHz where I had
    little problem winning all races. Had a frame-rate of only 7 fps so it was
    only just playable. After a while I notices that a race took me 8 minutes in
    realtime while the game menstioned a time of 4 minutes. So what happened was
    that the game was executes at half the realtime-speed on slow computers to
    keep it playable. Which sure worked as I could enjouy the game. I came quite
    far in career-mode this way :-) I now have upgraded to a Athlon64-3.5 GHz
    and the game is suddelly a lot harder :-)

    Ton
    --

    <Doug_Dread@eskom.co.za> wrote in message
    > Is it just me or is it common for the FPS in NFU2 to slow down drastically
    > to a point where it becomes unplayable? It doesn't get jerky like some PC
    > hogs e.g. Doom 3, but goes into a state of permanent "motion blur".
    > Restarting the game usually but not always cures it, at least for a while.
    > Nuisance!

  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.need-for-speed (More info?)

    Ton den Hartog kirjoitti:
    > I do recognize this, first played the game on a P3-450 MHz where I had
    > little problem winning all races. Had a frame-rate of only 7 fps so it was
    > only just playable. After a while I notices that a race took me 8 minutes in
    > realtime while the game menstioned a time of 4 minutes. So what happened was
    > that the game was executes at half the realtime-speed on slow computers to
    > keep it playable. Which sure worked as I could enjouy the game. I came quite
    > far in career-mode this way :-) I now have upgraded to a Athlon64-3.5 GHz
    > and the game is suddelly a lot harder :-)
    >
    > Ton

    OMG, the game actually starts on a P3-450MHz? Wouldn't have even tried
    myself (despite the gfx).
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.need-for-speed (More info?)

    LOL, I did the same thing on a 433 with GTA Vice City- things got a LOT
    harder at realtime!

    "Ton den Hartog" <ton.den.hartog@tonh.net> wrote in message
    > I do recognize this, first played the game on a P3-450 MHz where I had
    > little problem winning all races. Had a frame-rate of only 7 fps so it was
    > only just playable. After a while I notices that a race took me 8 minutes
    in
    > realtime while the game menstioned a time of 4 minutes. So what happened
    was
    > that the game was executes at half the realtime-speed on slow computers to
    > keep it playable. Which sure worked as I could enjouy the game. I came
    quite
    > far in career-mode this way :-) I now have upgraded to a Athlon64-3.5 GHz
    > and the game is suddelly a lot harder :-)
    >
    > Ton
    > --
    >

    > <Doug_Dread@eskom.co.za> wrote in message
    > > Is it just me or is it common for the FPS in NFU2 to slow down
    drastically
    > > to a point where it becomes unplayable? It doesn't get jerky like some
    PC
    > > hogs e.g. Doom 3, but goes into a state of permanent "motion blur".
    > > Restarting the game usually but not always cures it, at least for a
    while.
    > > Nuisance!

Games FPS Video Games