Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Mustek MFC-600S + WinXP-Pro - non-stop detecting

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
Anonymous
May 11, 2004 12:39:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

Hi,

I recently moved from Win-98-SE to Win-XP-Pro. With instructions from
www.mustek.com.pl and drivers from ftp.mustek.com.pl I finally installed
my Mustek MFC-600S (connected through ISA SCSI card) and it works great
but there's one problem:
System is detecting new device all the time! It is 'Mustek 1200P' and
after passing the installation steps the system still is detecting new
device. Now, if I install the new device for the second time I have two
scanners in device manager. How many times I install the new device (it is
still the same scanner) that many times it displays in device manager, so
I temporarily installed just one scanner, it works fine, but have to keep
the 'Adding new device creator' window always on my desktop. If I keep
installing or close the window it will reappear in 5 seconds. What can I
do?

Regards
Maciej Zalewski
Poland
Anonymous
May 11, 2004 7:39:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

"-DraconuS-" <draconus@o2.pl> wrote in message
news:c7pska$lfu$1@panorama.wcss.wroc.pl...
> Hi,
>
> I recently moved from Win-98-SE to Win-XP-Pro. With instructions from
> www.mustek.com.pl and drivers from ftp.mustek.com.pl I finally installed
> my Mustek MFC-600S (connected through ISA SCSI card) and it works great
> but there's one problem:
> System is detecting new device all the time! It is 'Mustek 1200P' and
> after passing the installation steps the system still is detecting new
> device. Now, if I install the new device for the second time I have two
> scanners in device manager. How many times I install the new device (it is
> still the same scanner) that many times it displays in device manager, so
> I temporarily installed just one scanner, it works fine, but have to keep
> the 'Adding new device creator' window always on my desktop. If I keep
> installing or close the window it will reappear in 5 seconds. What can I
> do?
>
> Regards
> Maciej Zalewski
> Poland
>
Just a guess.

When you get the screen in XP that gives the warning about the driver not
being signed. Click "Continue Anyway".

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com
--
Anonymous
May 12, 2004 12:09:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

Hi

U¿ytkownik "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci
news:p s6oc.26338$sn3.14257@newssvr22.news.prodigy.com...
> "-DraconuS-" <draconus@o2.pl> wrote in message
> news:c7pska$lfu$1@panorama.wcss.wroc.pl...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I recently moved from Win-98-SE to Win-XP-Pro. With instructions from
> > www.mustek.com.pl and drivers from ftp.mustek.com.pl I finally
installed
> > my Mustek MFC-600S (connected through ISA SCSI card) and it works
great
> > but there's one problem:
> > System is detecting new device all the time! It is 'Mustek 1200P'
and
> > after passing the installation steps the system still is detecting new
> > device. Now, if I install the new device for the second time I have
two
> > scanners in device manager. How many times I install the new device
(it is
> > still the same scanner) that many times it displays in device manager,
so
> > I temporarily installed just one scanner, it works fine, but have to
keep
> > the 'Adding new device creator' window always on my desktop. If I keep
> > installing or close the window it will reappear in 5 seconds. What can
I
> > do?
> >
> > Regards
> > Maciej Zalewski
> > Poland
> >
> Just a guess.
>
> When you get the screen in XP that gives the warning about the driver
not
> being signed. Click "Continue Anyway".

Thanks, but I have already said I did installed everything and it worked
fine. I had to click "continue anyway" to install the drivers properly.
The problem is OS wants to install it all over and over again!
--
Maciej
Anonymous
May 12, 2004 8:20:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

"-DraconuS-" <draconus@o2.pl> wrote in message
news:c7sf7j$mof$1@panorama.wcss.wroc.pl...
> Hi
>
> U¿ytkownik "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci
> news:p s6oc.26338$sn3.14257@newssvr22.news.prodigy.com...
> > "-DraconuS-" <draconus@o2.pl> wrote in message
> > news:c7pska$lfu$1@panorama.wcss.wroc.pl...
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I recently moved from Win-98-SE to Win-XP-Pro. With instructions from
> > > www.mustek.com.pl and drivers from ftp.mustek.com.pl I finally
> installed
> > > my Mustek MFC-600S (connected through ISA SCSI card) and it works
> great
> > > but there's one problem:
> > > System is detecting new device all the time! It is 'Mustek 1200P'
> and
> > > after passing the installation steps the system still is detecting new
> > > device. Now, if I install the new device for the second time I have
> two
> > > scanners in device manager. How many times I install the new device
> (it is
> > > still the same scanner) that many times it displays in device manager,
> so
> > > I temporarily installed just one scanner, it works fine, but have to
> keep
> > > the 'Adding new device creator' window always on my desktop. If I keep
> > > installing or close the window it will reappear in 5 seconds. What can
> I
> > > do?
> > >
> > > Regards
> > > Maciej Zalewski
> > > Poland
> > >
> > Just a guess.
> >
> > When you get the screen in XP that gives the warning about the driver
> not
> > being signed. Click "Continue Anyway".
>
> Thanks, but I have already said I did installed everything and it worked
> fine. I had to click "continue anyway" to install the drivers properly.
> The problem is OS wants to install it all over and over again!
> --
> Maciej
>
XP can be real bullheaded about not letting you change or update a failed
driver install. XP has a DLL cache (hidden) in the Windows folder, where all
the system restore functions get their files. If you try to delete the
normal files, XP restores the bad file(s) automatically.

Look in the Device Manager for the Scanner entries, if any are marked with a
Yellow mark, then delete (remove) that entry, Reboot. The Scanner should be
listed under Imaging when the scanner is connected and turned on.

If you have multiple entries, delete all, reboot. When XP asks to install
the driver, Click Cancel, until no more asking then do the next paragraph.

Try uninstalling the driver (look for remove driver in Start menu or in
Control Panel>Add Remove Programs), then reboot the computer.
Then a clean install of the driver. Reboot.

The following is a LAST resort.
If that does not stop XP asking over and over, search the register for the
scanner items. Look for any entry that says the scanner is not installed, it
may be "Installed" Yes or No. If you find one, then try changing to Yes.
Remember, backup any register entries before changing. Also, if you find
more than one instance of the scanner in the register, then backup that
entry then delete that extra entry. If you delete the wrong entry, XP will
not find the scanner. Restore then try the other.

Warning, Register editing is dangerous, you can really screw up the system.
To edit the Register, Start>Run>regedit<enter> or OK.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com
--
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 1:33:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

Hi

U¿ytkownik "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci
news:L9soc.26601$JY.25891@newssvr22.news.prodigy.com...
> The following is a LAST resort.
> If that does not stop XP asking over and over, search the register for
the
> scanner items. Look for any entry that says the scanner is not
installed, it
> may be "Installed" Yes or No. If you find one, then try changing to Yes.
> Remember, backup any register entries before changing. Also, if you find
> more than one instance of the scanner in the register, then backup that
> entry then delete that extra entry. If you delete the wrong entry, XP
will
> not find the scanner. Restore then try the other.

I'll try the registry editing. All other 'geek stuff' does not seem to
work. Thanks for your hints&tips.

> Warning, Register editing is dangerous, you can really screw up the
system.
> To edit the Register, Start>Run>regedit<enter> or OK.

"You're talking to me?" [Taxi driver] ;) )
--
Maciej
!