Sign in with
Your question

The Homemade Taser

Last response: in Site Feedback
June 13, 2007 6:12:08 PM

The guys from the lab build a taser from a disposable camera and test it out on one unfortunate team member.

Watch Video

This was a fun video to make (not that I ever want to get tasered again!).

-Ben

More about : homemade taser

June 13, 2007 8:20:02 PM

Also, please comment on the video production, camerawork and such. We're trying to make a setup so you can see soldering work properly, for example.
June 13, 2007 9:25:23 PM

Idiots. Just what we need, a bunch of assholes making home tasers.
Related resources
June 13, 2007 10:16:30 PM

Great... THG presents: j00Tube. :roll:
June 14, 2007 1:21:07 AM

I think the idea is to do test runs with circuit boards that dont matter, so that when they start messing with more expensive parts, like for example a creative Xfi with bad caps, the videos they record will actually be useful to people. RIGHT guys? ;) 

Anyway, give them some real crits instead of complaining that they are goofing off. That way maybe they can do something slightly more productive.
June 14, 2007 1:21:51 AM

sound was ok and wasnt too loud. video was clear and steady.

nice nonlethal weapon from a modded disposable camera. One of few ideas that will one day perfect naked time traveling terminator robots and/or damn dirty apes named Dr. Zaius. Nice goin guys
June 14, 2007 1:43:32 AM

Man, not smart at all.

There's a lot more amperage in a camera flash than there is in a stun gun. This could burn flesh and actually hurt somebody... or worse.

Real stun guns are cheap, and much more compact. Plus they have safety features and are specifically designed to not cause permanent damage. A camera capacitor is designed to send 350 volts through a Xenon bulb. Nothing else.

On another tangent, stun guns aren't the best self-defense weapon out there. On your average person, it takes a full 3 seconds of contact to incapacitate them. That might not be so on somebody who's on drugs or just built in a way that helps them tolerate the shock.

Pepper spray is much more effective. Doesn't matter how you're built or what your state of mind is. If you get a face full of capsaicin, you're going to be severely disable whether you feel pain or not.
June 14, 2007 9:09:15 AM

I vote you shock rob. 5 times would just about do it.

You can become desensitized to capsaicin, i had a can of it that leaked and i did not really notice it, i sneezed a lot for about a week but that was it. Then next time someone sprayed some near me i did not notice anything while one of my friends nearly had a heart attack. Though chillis still do a number on my tongue.
June 14, 2007 3:48:30 PM

Thats not a taser. A taser will send voltage for a longer period of time and is designed to interfere with human muscle control(that why people fall and do the bacon). That camera flash trick is a millisecond shock that will not save anyone. It most likely has almost no current, just lots of voltage. so it's most likely safe.

But why not just get a carpet and carpet shock people :) 

As for the video, its entertaining :p 

EDIT.

ohh whats even cooler is to charge a cap like that then chase someone down. they will never see it coming.
June 14, 2007 5:09:26 PM

Tom's Hardware... Did Tom Die? Jackass Hardware.com
June 14, 2007 6:24:20 PM

It's now TomsJackassesAndHardware.com!
June 14, 2007 6:26:02 PM

um.... you didn't make it out of a disposable camera? I see taking apart a camera, throwing away every single electronic component in it, and then replacing it with something else... *confused*
June 14, 2007 6:36:51 PM

Kids, don't do this at home. I've zapped myself good with a camera capacitor working on a coilgun, and it can be pretty dangerous.

Remember, that while commercial tasers can produce 100k volts, they are designed to do so at incredibly low amperage, and even those are not perfectly non-lethal. The human body can be killed by mere milliamps of electrical energy.

There are no truly non-lethal weapons -- only less lethal ones. Heart attacks, neurological damage, burns, and blunt force injuries can all occur even in previously healthy individuals. Also, note that every police officer trained to use a taser is trained to only use such a weapon when they have backup with a real gun : tasers can't do much to heavy clothing or a determined attacker.

I don't quite share the above poster's fondness for OC/CS spray (I've had those sprays blow back in my face, and I know people can simply ignore them), but to each their own.
June 14, 2007 11:14:05 PM

I remember I had alot of fun making these as a kid :) 
June 15, 2007 10:52:38 AM

I made one like 2 year ago, i saw the the output was 300v depend on what camera 300-350v , but you can add more Voltage with adding an other capacitor of same voltage in parallel to add voltage, mine was 550v. But it kinda dangerous since the voltage is DC Voltage and a real taser is AC.
June 15, 2007 12:30:56 PM

Quote:
I made one like 2 year ago, i saw the the output was 300v depend on what camera 300-350v , but you can add more Voltage with adding an other capacitor of same voltage in parallel to add voltage, mine was 550v. But it kinda dangerous since the voltage is DC Voltage and a real taser is AC.

I hope you mean parallel. that would double the current(not voltage). now ure playing with danger :) 
June 15, 2007 4:15:51 PM

Quote:
The guys from the lab build a taser from a disposable camera and test it out on one unfortunate team member.

Watch Video

This was a fun video to make (not that I ever want to get tasered again!).

-Ben

Funny stuff

( props to victim )
June 15, 2007 8:03:49 PM

Quote:

I hope you mean parallel. that would double the current(not voltage). now ure playing with danger :) 

Yeah, but still you need more to really damage you, i have not tryed on myself but i went buy a male mouse to test it on him :-) He pee and shit on itself. But he was okay.
June 15, 2007 8:35:27 PM

mice have extremely high heart rates. About 700bpm www.smm.org/heart/lessons/lesson2.htm I'm not sure if that makes them more or less susceptible to cardiac arrest than a human though but either way not a very good test candidate. Test it on a large dog?

/me sits back and waits patiently for the "zomg the dog bit my arm off" post :twisted:

But am I the only one sitting here wondering why they gutted a disposable camera just to re-use the case? Am I just being really dumb and not understanding what they did? They removed everything from the camera...
June 15, 2007 8:37:45 PM

i guess i can test it on my neighbor doggy at night :-)
June 15, 2007 9:32:55 PM

HAHAHA...i made one the retard at rite aid gave me a disposable camera that was already used for free!!!!

i went round shocking ppl today..lmao..madee funn

any way to adding more volts?
June 15, 2007 10:06:29 PM

By adding an other capacitor with the same capacity, i hope you don't shock them by surprise this DC taser can be dangerous for some people.
June 16, 2007 12:32:04 AM

more volts you say....just keep running the systems one thru the other adds the voltage over and over

so zapper+ -[~300 here](negative)-----wire-----+ - zapper [~600 baby]

For more fun get a car ignition coil and 2 lantern(6 volt batteries in parallel) batteries :) 

I better stop now.....
July 1, 2007 8:45:59 PM

hi
I just saw the "taser" video. First of all, isn't a taser supposed to have a high voltage - low amp output? The inverter from a disposable camera charges a 100uF or so capacitor to some 350V dc which is enough to really hurt someone. What if some kid sees the video and decides to mess around with a disposable camera? I think the video is irresponsible and should be removed. Just my 2c.. :D 
!