Burn to cd

Hi I need to copy a free program that I downloaded from the internet to a
cd. I have copyied stuff from 'My Documents' and so on. But I have never
copied an actual program that has an executable and all. Is it done the same
way. Could you please go through the steps for me to make sure I do it
correctly?? Let me telll you what programs I have so that You can help me
pick which one to use. Windows Media player 10, Roxio easy cd creator 5,
real one player version 2 (build 6.0.11.853)-DO I need to use one of those
programs or just can I copy the files directly to cd without using one of
those.
Also, what is the difference between burn and rip, if any??
--
Thanks so very much for your help-! ! ! !
4 answers Last reply

    Marcy,

    Since you have Roxio Easy CD Creator I would suggest using that. You want
    to create a data CD in the ISO format, no multisession. I am not familiar
    with Roxio but I know it has a wizard that can do just about everything for
    you. You can use a CD-R disk or a CD-RW disk to do this. Creating the disk
    as a data CD (ISO Format) will ensure that the program can be copied from
    the disk to a hard drive. I'm sorry I don't have the exact steps that Roxio
    will use for you, but the Roxio wizard will be easy to follow. For more
    information on CD burning go to www.cdrfaq.com. This is the definitive site
    for all things CD burning.

    Burning, or writing to a disk, is the actual process of using a laser to
    "burn" the data to the matrix of the CD. Ripping is the process of
    "ripping" songs, or data, from a source, like a music CD you bought at the
    mall, or a hard drive or other storage medium, to your hard drive or CD.

    Check out www.cdrfaq.com and you will become a CD burning pro! Good luck
    and post back with any other questions.

    "Marcy" <RM@RMcom> wrote in message
    > Hi I need to copy a free program that I downloaded from the internet to a
    > cd. I have copyied stuff from 'My Documents' and so on. But I have never
    > copied an actual program that has an executable and all. Is it done the
    same
    > way. Could you please go through the steps for me to make sure I do it
    > correctly?? Let me telll you what programs I have so that You can help me
    > pick which one to use. Windows Media player 10, Roxio easy cd creator 5,
    > real one player version 2 (build 6.0.11.853)-DO I need to use one of those
    > programs or just can I copy the files directly to cd without using one of
    > those.
    > Also, what is the difference between burn and rip, if any??
    > --
    > Thanks so very much for your help-! ! ! !

    Hi Marcy,

    Burn refers to copying files to a CD.
    Rip means to copy data from a CD.

    What you want to do is copy the installation file to CD, usually something
    like setup.exe. Copying the program folder is useless, as the program must
    be installed to the system in order to run. If you have a catastrophic
    system failure, you will want to be able to reinstall the program in
    question (after reinstalling the operating system).

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Marcy" <RM@RMcom> wrote in message
    > Hi I need to copy a free program that I downloaded from the internet to a
    > cd. I have copyied stuff from 'My Documents' and so on. But I have never
    > copied an actual program that has an executable and all. Is it done the
    > same
    > way. Could you please go through the steps for me to make sure I do it
    > correctly?? Let me telll you what programs I have so that You can help me
    > pick which one to use. Windows Media player 10, Roxio easy cd creator 5,
    > real one player version 2 (build 6.0.11.853)-DO I need to use one of those
    > programs or just can I copy the files directly to cd without using one of
    > those.
    > Also, what is the difference between burn and rip, if any??
    > --
    > Thanks so very much for your help-! ! ! !

    Just copy the file to CD in the same way that you copied your other files.
    Burn means copy files to a CD and rip means to copy from a CD to the hard
    drive. Rip is more commonly associated with copying music or video files to
    your hard drive. These file must first be extracted using special software
    that can convert or "rip" a track from a CD. If you pop a music CD into your
    CD-Rom drive and open it your will see the files displayed as track1.cda,
    track2.cda, etc. If you simply copy the file to your hard drive it will not
    play. A .cda file must be ripped and saved as a .wav, .mp3 or .wma (there
    are other less common formats too) before you can actually play the song.
    Media Player can rip a track and save it as a .wma or use a program like
    that found here http://www.nch.com.au/rip/

    There are similar programs for ripping video files.
    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Marcy" <RM@RMcom> wrote in message
    > Hi I need to copy a free program that I downloaded from the internet to a
    > cd. I have copyied stuff from 'My Documents' and so on. But I have never
    > copied an actual program that has an executable and all. Is it done the
    > same
    > way. Could you please go through the steps for me to make sure I do it
    > correctly?? Let me telll you what programs I have so that You can help me
    > pick which one to use. Windows Media player 10, Roxio easy cd creator 5,
    > real one player version 2 (build 6.0.11.853)-DO I need to use one of those
    > programs or just can I copy the files directly to cd without using one of
    > those.
    > Also, what is the difference between burn and rip, if any??
    > --
    > Thanks so very much for your help-! ! ! !

    download AnMing MP3 CD Burner at
    http://www.ddz1977.com/anming_setup.zip to help you!

CD-Rom Microsoft Windows XP