Marcy

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2002

Hi I need to copy a free program that I downloaded from the internet to a
cd. I have copyied stuff from 'My Documents' and so on. But I have never
copied an actual program that has an executable and all. Is it done the same
way. Could you please go through the steps for me to make sure I do it
correctly?? Let me telll you what programs I have so that You can help me
pick which one to use. Windows Media player 10, Roxio easy cd creator 5,
real one player version 2 (build 6.0.11.853)-DO I need to use one of those
programs or just can I copy the files directly to cd without using one of
those.
Also, what is the difference between burn and rip, if any??
--
Thanks so very much for your help-! ! ! !

Marcy,

Since you have Roxio Easy CD Creator I would suggest using that. You want
to create a data CD in the ISO format, no multisession. I am not familiar
with Roxio but I know it has a wizard that can do just about everything for
you. You can use a CD-R disk or a CD-RW disk to do this. Creating the disk
as a data CD (ISO Format) will ensure that the program can be copied from
the disk to a hard drive. I'm sorry I don't have the exact steps that Roxio
will use for you, but the Roxio wizard will be easy to follow. For more
information on CD burning go to www.cdrfaq.com. This is the definitive site
for all things CD burning.

Burning, or writing to a disk, is the actual process of using a laser to
"burn" the data to the matrix of the CD. Ripping is the process of
"ripping" songs, or data, from a source, like a music CD you bought at the
mall, or a hard drive or other storage medium, to your hard drive or CD.

Check out www.cdrfaq.com and you will become a CD burning pro! Good luck
and post back with any other questions.

"Marcy" <RM@RMcom> wrote in message
> Hi I need to copy a free program that I downloaded from the internet to a
> cd. I have copyied stuff from 'My Documents' and so on. But I have never
> copied an actual program that has an executable and all. Is it done the
same
> way. Could you please go through the steps for me to make sure I do it
> correctly?? Let me telll you what programs I have so that You can help me
> pick which one to use. Windows Media player 10, Roxio easy cd creator 5,
> real one player version 2 (build 6.0.11.853)-DO I need to use one of those
> programs or just can I copy the files directly to cd without using one of
> those.
> Also, what is the difference between burn and rip, if any??
> --
> Thanks so very much for your help-! ! ! !

Hi Marcy,

Burn refers to copying files to a CD.
Rip means to copy data from a CD.

What you want to do is copy the installation file to CD, usually something
like setup.exe. Copying the program folder is useless, as the program must
be installed to the system in order to run. If you have a catastrophic
system failure, you will want to be able to reinstall the program in
question (after reinstalling the operating system).

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Marcy" <RM@RMcom> wrote in message
> Hi I need to copy a free program that I downloaded from the internet to a
> cd. I have copyied stuff from 'My Documents' and so on. But I have never
> copied an actual program that has an executable and all. Is it done the
> same
> way. Could you please go through the steps for me to make sure I do it
> correctly?? Let me telll you what programs I have so that You can help me
> pick which one to use. Windows Media player 10, Roxio easy cd creator 5,
> real one player version 2 (build 6.0.11.853)-DO I need to use one of those
> programs or just can I copy the files directly to cd without using one of
> those.
> Also, what is the difference between burn and rip, if any??
> --
> Thanks so very much for your help-! ! ! !

Just copy the file to CD in the same way that you copied your other files.
Burn means copy files to a CD and rip means to copy from a CD to the hard
drive. Rip is more commonly associated with copying music or video files to
your hard drive. These file must first be extracted using special software
that can convert or "rip" a track from a CD. If you pop a music CD into your
CD-Rom drive and open it your will see the files displayed as track1.cda,
track2.cda, etc. If you simply copy the file to your hard drive it will not
play. A .cda file must be ripped and saved as a .wav, .mp3 or .wma (there
are other less common formats too) before you can actually play the song.
Media Player can rip a track and save it as a .wma or use a program like
that found here http://www.nch.com.au/rip/

There are similar programs for ripping video files.
--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp