How to test P4 3.0C GHz/800 CPU for faults w/o Windows?

I just bought a supposedly "like new" SL6WK Pentium 4 3GHz/512K/800 CPU on eBay recently to upgrade from my SL6PF P4 2.8GHz/512K/533 (no HT) CPU. memtest86+ and the CPU stress test prime programs on the Ultimate Boot CD run OK. However, I keep having random problems with the system hanging when I try to boot into Windows, either from the hard drive, or from a WinXP CD. Also, the BIOS doesn't always recognize the CPU as HyperThreading-enabled. The system is a Shuttle SB65G2 SFF.

Does anyone have suggestions for a CPU-testing program that I can run from a floppy or CD (i.e. doesn't require Windows) to test if the CPU is not quite performing right?
7 answers Last reply
More about test faults windows
  1. Quote:
    I just bought a supposedly "like new" SL6WK Pentium 4 3GHz/512K/800 CPU on eBay recently to upgrade from my SL6PF P4 2.8GHz/512K/533 (no HT) CPU. memtest86+ and the CPU stress test prime programs on the Ultimate Boot CD run OK. However, I keep having random problems with the system hanging when I try to boot into Windows, either from the hard drive, or from a WinXP CD. Also, the BIOS doesn't always recognize the CPU as HyperThreading-enabled. The system is a Shuttle SB65G2 SFF.

Does anyone have suggestions for a CPU-testing program that I can run from a floppy or CD (i.e. doesn't require Windows) to test if the CPU is not quite performing right?
    Do you have a live Linux CD(Knoppix) to try? I hope the CPU didn't succumb to NSDS.
  2. I'll try downloading Knoppix and burning the image. However, since even the BIOS sometimes recognizes the CPU as HyperThreading and sometimes as not HT, I suspect it's not the OS. I guess I'm looking for something to really exercise the CPU *and verify that it works correctly*, not just simple memtest or prime programs.
  3. Quote:
    I'll try downloading Knoppix and burning the image. However, since even the BIOS sometimes recognizes the CPU as HyperThreading and sometimes as not HT, I suspect it's not the OS. I guess I'm looking for something to really exercise the CPU *and verify that it works correctly*, not just simple memtest or prime programs.
    Good luck with it. :) At least if you get Knoppix booted, and it runs alright, then it shouldn't be a CPU problem. Like i said, i hope it isn't Northwood Sudden Death Syndrome. When my 3.0C died from it, it took a couple days before it became unbootable. The overclock slowly kept dropping, i thought it was my HS/F acting up as it would get unstable. Then i would drop FSB some more and reboot. After several hours same thing. Until it was only booting in the low 2GHz range. Then nothing. :cry:
  4. back to the top
  5. Knoppix hangs randomly during boot, too. Looks like a bad CPU. At least I bought it under PayPal's "Buyer Protection"!
  6. Want a Celeron 2.4 Northwood cheap? I was recently upgrading a couple of socket 478 systems for some kids and got thiis Celeron 2.4 for some of my trouble. I was running it then remembered I had an old 3.0 Pentium 4 Northwood 3.0 laying around. I searched for abot an hour and finally found the cpu I had discarded as 'bad' years ago. Stuck it in the ABIT Via 880 board I have as a result of swapping around stuff, and voila! it worked perfect! So i have the 2.4 celeron sitting here. Years ago I now remember I had a 6800 and the 3.0 northwood. I had a problem and thought my son had burned the CPU out in a back room leaving the door shut during the hot summer. The video card eventually failed and I had kind of forgotten about that 3.0 P4. I updated the via chipset drivers and the thing flys! One thing about the 2.4 celeron sitting on my desk, it runs really cool. It's the only celeron I have ever messed with. Not bad overall, but not a 3.0 northwood. It's yours for like 2500 pennies and I'l pay the hipping.
  7. I just realized you posted the original post like when you were ten.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs CD-Rom