Sign in with
Your question

How to test P4 3.0C GHz/800 CPU for faults w/o Windows?

Last response: in CPUs
October 7, 2006 3:28:25 AM

I just bought a supposedly "like new" SL6WK Pentium 4 3GHz/512K/800 CPU on eBay recently to upgrade from my SL6PF P4 2.8GHz/512K/533 (no HT) CPU. memtest86+ and the CPU stress test prime programs on the Ultimate Boot CD run OK. However, I keep having random problems with the system hanging when I try to boot into Windows, either from the hard drive, or from a WinXP CD. Also, the BIOS doesn't always recognize the CPU as HyperThreading-enabled. The system is a Shuttle SB65G2 SFF.

Does anyone have suggestions for a CPU-testing program that I can run from a floppy or CD (i.e. doesn't require Windows) to test if the CPU is not quite performing right?
October 7, 2006 5:26:22 AM

Quote:
I just bought a supposedly "like new" SL6WK Pentium 4 3GHz/512K/800 CPU on eBay recently to upgrade from my SL6PF P4 2.8GHz/512K/533 (no HT) CPU. memtest86+ and the CPU stress test prime programs on the Ultimate Boot CD run OK. However, I keep having random problems with the system hanging when I try to boot into Windows, either from the hard drive, or from a WinXP CD. Also, the BIOS doesn't always recognize the CPU as HyperThreading-enabled. The system is a Shuttle SB65G2 SFF.

Does anyone have suggestions for a CPU-testing program that I can run from a floppy or CD (i.e. doesn't require Windows) to test if the CPU is not quite performing right?
Do you have a live Linux CD(Knoppix) to try? I hope the CPU didn't succumb to NSDS.
October 7, 2006 6:02:39 AM

I'll try downloading Knoppix and burning the image. However, since even the BIOS sometimes recognizes the CPU as HyperThreading and sometimes as not HT, I suspect it's not the OS. I guess I'm looking for something to really exercise the CPU *and verify that it works correctly*, not just simple memtest or prime programs.
October 7, 2006 6:09:03 AM

Quote:
I'll try downloading Knoppix and burning the image. However, since even the BIOS sometimes recognizes the CPU as HyperThreading and sometimes as not HT, I suspect it's not the OS. I guess I'm looking for something to really exercise the CPU *and verify that it works correctly*, not just simple memtest or prime programs.
Good luck with it. :)  At least if you get Knoppix booted, and it runs alright, then it shouldn't be a CPU problem. Like i said, i hope it isn't Northwood Sudden Death Syndrome. When my 3.0C died from it, it took a couple days before it became unbootable. The overclock slowly kept dropping, i thought it was my HS/F acting up as it would get unstable. Then i would drop FSB some more and reboot. After several hours same thing. Until it was only booting in the low 2GHz range. Then nothing. :cry: 
October 7, 2006 7:30:10 AM

back to the top
October 7, 2006 5:47:08 PM

Knoppix hangs randomly during boot, too. Looks like a bad CPU. At least I bought it under PayPal's "Buyer Protection"!
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2007 10:11:21 PM

Want a Celeron 2.4 Northwood cheap? I was recently upgrading a couple of socket 478 systems for some kids and got thiis Celeron 2.4 for some of my trouble. I was running it then remembered I had an old 3.0 Pentium 4 Northwood 3.0 laying around. I searched for abot an hour and finally found the cpu I had discarded as 'bad' years ago. Stuck it in the ABIT Via 880 board I have as a result of swapping around stuff, and voila! it worked perfect! So i have the 2.4 celeron sitting here. Years ago I now remember I had a 6800 and the 3.0 northwood. I had a problem and thought my son had burned the CPU out in a back room leaving the door shut during the hot summer. The video card eventually failed and I had kind of forgotten about that 3.0 P4. I updated the via chipset drivers and the thing flys! One thing about the 2.4 celeron sitting on my desk, it runs really cool. It's the only celeron I have ever messed with. Not bad overall, but not a 3.0 northwood. It's yours for like 2500 pennies and I'l pay the hipping.
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2007 10:16:08 PM

I just realized you posted the original post like when you were ten.
!