Sign in with
Your question

Is Linksys router's Firewall safe to use alone?

Tags:
  • Firewalls
  • Routers
  • Linksys
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
January 26, 2006 5:18:56 PM

Hello,
I've been using Windows Firewall (yeah, I know it's not the best, but I can afford it), but I've been thinking of trying out the firewall built into my Linksys wired/wireless router. Is this a reliable/ strong enough firewall to use alone, so I could turn off the Windows firewall? Also, is it going to be a pain to administer so that I can still play BF2 online and use Bittorrent and such?

Thanks!

More about : linksys router firewall safe

January 27, 2006 1:51:25 AM

Most NAT and SPI firewall are sufficent for home use. The problem lies with unwanted programs accessing the web. So if your computer is a bot or spam machine it will contine to be. If clean no problem. I ran a test using a comercial product and the router's firewall. Over a 9 month period I had nothing get through the routers firewall. So I uninstalled the software firewall to free up resources. I kept XP firewall active, but do not allow execptions. If you notice every time you install software, they want free access to the net. NOT on my computers. I do not leave my computers on 24/7, turn them off when not needed.

One other note make sure you set the router up NOT to respond to ping. This will prevent the scanners from finding you.
Related resources
!