Bad resolution with NeedforSpeed Road Challenge

Last response: in Video Games
March 30, 2005 12:32:48 AM

My son has bought Need for Speed / Road Challenge. The intro has a hight
quality video output with all details. The game however has a low
resolution, and the 'pixels' are about 2mm x 2mm. Not to say he is
a bit disappointed. His schoolfriend enjoys a better quality.

I have a HP 5259A Pavilion M70, 1024x768, 85 Hz refresh rate.
Furthermore a NVDIA GeForce2 MX/MX400, 32 Mb. I installed the latest
DirecX 9.0, and latest GeForce driver. The PC is a Pavilion on 852 Mz,
and 448 Mb memory running ME (not to worry, the system normally
boots Linux ;-) )

Within the game I saw that the Car Shading, ZBuffer, Lens Flare, Fog,
Gamma Correction, and Hightlight are greyed out, and can be modified.

Is is possible to correct/improve the video output quality. Thanks a
lot.

Best Regards,
Ton 't Lam
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 9:47:05 AM

"Ton 't Lam" <tonl@nospam.nl> wrote in message
> My son has bought Need for Speed / Road Challenge. The intro has a
hight
> quality video output with all details. The game however has a low
> resolution, and the 'pixels' are about 2mm x 2mm. Not to say he is
> a bit disappointed. His schoolfriend enjoys a better quality.
>
> I have a HP 5259A Pavilion M70, 1024x768, 85 Hz refresh rate.
> Furthermore a NVDIA GeForce2 MX/MX400, 32 Mb. I installed the latest
> DirecX 9.0, and latest GeForce driver. The PC is a Pavilion on 852 Mz,
> and 448 Mb memory running ME (not to worry, the system normally
> boots Linux ;-) )
>
> Within the game I saw that the Car Shading, ZBuffer, Lens Flare, Fog,
> Gamma Correction, and Hightlight are greyed out, and can be modified.
>
> Is is possible to correct/improve the video output quality. Thanks a
> lot.

Run the 3Dsetup in the game folder to redetect your video card. You may
need to edit one of the files in order to get the NVIDIA new stuff
recognized
properly.

--KC
March 30, 2005 2:10:27 PM

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 20:32:48 +0200, Ton 't Lam <tonl@nospam.nl> wrote:

>My son has bought Need for Speed / Road Challenge. The intro has a hight
>quality video output with all details. The game however has a low
>resolution, and the 'pixels' are about 2mm x 2mm. Not to say he is
>a bit disappointed. His schoolfriend enjoys a better quality.
>
>I have a HP 5259A Pavilion M70, 1024x768, 85 Hz refresh rate.
>Furthermore a NVDIA GeForce2 MX/MX400, 32 Mb. I installed the latest
>DirecX 9.0, and latest GeForce driver. The PC is a Pavilion on 852 Mz,
>and 448 Mb memory running ME (not to worry, the system normally
>boots Linux ;-) )
>
>Within the game I saw that the Car Shading, ZBuffer, Lens Flare, Fog,
>Gamma Correction, and Hightlight are greyed out, and can be modified.
>
>Is is possible to correct/improve the video output quality. Thanks a
>lot.
>
>Best Regards,
>Ton 't Lam

Maybe taking a look at my pages could help:

http://machf.tripod.com/NFS/

--
__________ ____---____ Marco Antonio Checa Funcke
\_________D /-/---_----' Santiago de Surco, Lima, Peru

remove the "no_me_j." and ".sons.of" parts before replying
April 1, 2005 12:59:19 AM

machf wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 20:32:48 +0200, Ton 't Lam <tonl@nospam.nl> wrote:
>

>>My son has bought Need for Speed / Road Challenge. The intro has a hight
>>quality video output with all details. The game however has a low
>>resolution, and the 'pixels' are about 2mm x 2mm. Not to say he is
>>a bit disappointed. His schoolfriend enjoys a better quality.
>>
>>I have a HP 5259A Pavilion M70, 1024x768, 85 Hz refresh rate.
>>Furthermore a NVDIA GeForce2 MX/MX400, 32 Mb. I installed the latest
>>DirecX 9.0, and latest GeForce driver. The PC is a Pavilion on 852 Mz,
>>and 448 Mb memory running ME (not to worry, the system normally
>>boots Linux ;-) )
>>
>>Within the game I saw that the Car Shading, ZBuffer, Lens Flare, Fog,
>>Gamma Correction, and Hightlight are greyed out, and can be modified.
>>
>>Is is possible to correct/improve the video output quality. Thanks a
>>lot.
>>
>>Best Regards,
>>Ton 't Lam
>

> Maybe taking a look at my pages could help:
>
> http://machf.tripod.com/NFS/

Thanks for the replies. I see that with 3DSetup I only can choose for
Software rendering. With Direct3D Device 1 I get a warning for
unpredictable results, and that is a black screen.

I can update the game because it looks for the CD at D:, while mine is
at M:.

Due to installing the latest drivers the colors are better, and output
is sharper. The intro is brilliant now, but the game keeps skipping to
800x600, thus big 'pixels'.

Are there perhaps other ideas to check for ? Thanks.

Best Regards,
Ton
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 12:59:20 AM

Ton 't Lam wrote:

> machf wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 20:32:48 +0200, Ton 't Lam <tonl@nospam.nl> wrote:
>>

>>> My son has bought Need for Speed / Road Challenge. The intro has a
>>> hight
>>> quality video output with all details. The game however has a low
>>> resolution, and the 'pixels' are about 2mm x 2mm. Not to say he is
>>> a bit disappointed. His schoolfriend enjoys a better quality.
>>>
>>> I have a HP 5259A Pavilion M70, 1024x768, 85 Hz refresh rate.
>>> Furthermore a NVDIA GeForce2 MX/MX400, 32 Mb. I installed the latest
>>> DirecX 9.0, and latest GeForce driver. The PC is a Pavilion on 852 Mz,
>>> and 448 Mb memory running ME (not to worry, the system normally
>>> boots Linux ;-) )
>>>
>>> Within the game I saw that the Car Shading, ZBuffer, Lens Flare, Fog,
>>> Gamma Correction, and Hightlight are greyed out, and can be modified.
>>>
>>> Is is possible to correct/improve the video output quality. Thanks a
>>> lot.
>>>
>>> Best Regards,
>>> Ton 't Lam
>>

>> Maybe taking a look at my pages could help:
>>
>> http://machf.tripod.com/NFS/
>>

> Thanks for the replies. I see that with 3DSetup I only can choose for
> Software rendering. With Direct3D Device 1 I get a warning for
> unpredictable results, and that is a black screen.
>
> I can update the game because it looks for the CD at D:, while mine is
> at M:.
>
> Due to installing the latest drivers the colors are better, and output
> is sharper. The intro is brilliant now, but the game keeps skipping to
> 800x600, thus big 'pixels'.
>
> Are there perhaps other ideas to check for ? Thanks.
>
> Best Regards,
> Ton

Try the "Spot Patch":

http://forum.needforbetterspeed.net/index.php?showtopic...
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 4:38:04 PM

Bruce Porter wrote:
> Ton 't Lam wrote:
>
>> machf wrote:

>>> Maybe taking a look at my pages could help:
>>>
>>> http://machf.tripod.com/NFS/
>>>

>> Thanks for the replies. I see that with 3DSetup I only can choose for
>> Software rendering. With Direct3D Device 1 I get a warning for
>> unpredictable results, and that is a black screen.
>>
>> I can update the game because it looks for the CD at D:, while mine is
>> at M:.
>>
>> Due to installing the latest drivers the colors are better, and output
>> is sharper. The intro is brilliant now, but the game keeps skipping to
>> 800x600, thus big 'pixels'.
>>
>> Are there perhaps other ideas to check for ? Thanks.
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Ton
>

> Try the "Spot Patch":
>
> http://forum.needforbetterspeed.net/index.php?showtopic...

Fantastic ! That solved the problem.

Thanks a lot to all of you helping us to resolve this issue.

Best Regards,
Ton
!