Outgassing on Glass??

Hi,

I just got and Epson 3170 scanner over the weekend
and in closely examining it, it appears that there
is some sort of outgassing film on the glass inside
the scanner that I can obviously not get to. Is
this a common issue? is it important? The test
scans that I have done haven't shown anything, but
I think I am going to be returning it anyway.

Comments???

-Cindy

On 17 May 2004 10:28:00 -0600, Cindy Camp <cindy@aslan.camp.com> found these
unused words floating about:

>Hi,
>
>I just got and Epson 3170 scanner over the weekend
>and in closely examining it, it appears that there
>is some sort of outgassing film on the glass inside
>the scanner that I can obviously not get to. Is
>this a common issue? is it important? The test
>scans that I have done haven't shown anything, but
>I think I am going to be returning it anyway.
>
>Comments???
>
>-Cindy

yes

yes, eventually neeeds cleaning

will happen on the next one too - plastics do this.

I was about to buy this model. Should I avoid, or is it non-specific?
J. A. Mc. <jaSPAMc@gbr.online.com> wrote in message
> On 17 May 2004 10:28:00 -0600, Cindy Camp <cindy@aslan.camp.com> found
these
> unused words floating about:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I just got and Epson 3170 scanner over the weekend
> >and in closely examining it, it appears that there
> >is some sort of outgassing film on the glass inside
> >the scanner that I can obviously not get to. Is
> >this a common issue? is it important? The test
> >scans that I have done haven't shown anything, but
> >I think I am going to be returning it anyway.
> >
> >Comments???
> >
> >-Cindy
> >
> yes
>
> yes, eventually neeeds cleaning
>
> will happen on the next one too - plastics do this.

If there's plastic used in the manufacture, then it will outgass. One
consideration might be, is how easy is it to get inside to clean.

On Tue, 18 May 2004 11:13:05 +0100, "mark Dunn" <markrhdunn@hotmail.com>
found these unused words floating about:

>I was about to buy this model. Should I avoid, or is it non-specific?
>J. A. Mc. <jaSPAMc@gbr.online.com> wrote in message
>> On 17 May 2004 10:28:00 -0600, Cindy Camp <cindy@aslan.camp.com> found
>these
>> unused words floating about:
>>
>> >Hi,
>> >
>> >I just got and Epson 3170 scanner over the weekend
>> >and in closely examining it, it appears that there
>> >is some sort of outgassing film on the glass inside
>> >the scanner that I can obviously not get to. Is
>> >this a common issue? is it important? The test
>> >scans that I have done haven't shown anything, but
>> >I think I am going to be returning it anyway.
>> >
>> >Comments???
>> >
>> >-Cindy
>> >
>> yes
>>
>> yes, eventually neeeds cleaning
>>
>> will happen on the next one too - plastics do this.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner,comp.periphs.scanners (More info?)

J. A. Mc. <jaSPAMc@gbr.online.com> wrote:
> If there's plastic used in the manufacture, then it will outgass. One
> consideration might be, is how easy is it to get inside to clean.

Are there any models of scanner which allow easy access to the underside
of the glass? It seems like it would be such a simple matter to make the
glass hinged on one side so it could be lifted up and cleaned.

Colin

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner,comp.periphs.scanners (More info?)

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 15:55:44 -0000, Colin Caulkins <colin@caulkins.org>
found these unused words floating about:

>J. A. Mc. <jaSPAMc@gbr.online.com> wrote:
>> If there's plastic used in the manufacture, then it will outgass. One
>> consideration might be, is how easy is it to get inside to clean.
>
>Are there any models of scanner which allow easy access to the underside
>of the glass? It seems like it would be such a simple matter to make the
>glass hinged on one side so it could be lifted up and cleaned.
>
>Colin

Each company varies, even model to model.

Microtek made one that was a literal 'snap' to clean.
HP 6300 has four screws
Epson is a PITA!