Add/Remove program problem

There is a program called Web-Search-Tools and includes a Search Assistant
( http://www.win-tools.com ) that gets installed on my computer hard drive
via the internet. I do not want the program as it is very troublesome (ads
seem to come from it). When I go to Add-Remove Programs, I click on
Web-Search-Tools and Search Assistant and they will not remove. Please help
me get rid of this nuisance.
--
Sincerely,
Jack Nation

    "Jack Elvin" <nospam@nospam.mchsi.com> wrote in message
    > There is a program called Web-Search-Tools and includes a Search
    > Assistant ( http://www.win-tools.com ) that gets installed on my
    > computer hard drive via the internet. I do not want the program as
    > it is very troublesome (ads seem to come from it). When I go to
    > Add-Remove Programs, I click on Web-Search-Tools and Search Assistant
    > and they will not remove. Please help me get rid of this nuisance.

    First eliminate any scumware.
    CAUTION!!!!! Before you try to remove spyware using any of these programs ,
    download a copy of LSPFIX from any of the following sites:
    http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
    (if your OS is Win2k or XP) The process of removing certain malware may kill
    your internet connection. If this should occur, this program, LSPFIX, will
    enable you to regain your connection.

    See
    Dealing with Unwanted Malware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

    Note that AdAware and SpyBot S & D will each catch some things the other
    won't. Also, each needs to be updated with the program's update function
    before every use, even when just downloaded. There's also a lot more to do
    than just those two programs. CWShredder is also available here:
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/cwshredder.zip
    **Post your HijackThis log to
    http://forums.spywareinfo.com/ or the Spyware forum at
    http://forum.aumha.org/ for expert analysis, not here.**
    Alternative download pages for Ad-Aware, Spybot, HijackThis and CWShredder
    may be found on this page:
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm.

    See this link for information about malware:
    http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/malware.ars

    If nothing there helps, please post back to this thread.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    Jack,

    Just a thought, but it sounds like this may be some sort of spyware/adware
    program. You can get two good spyware removal programs at:
    www.lavasoft.de (ad-aware)
    www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html (spybot search & destroy)
    Both are free and very effective at removing such programs.
    HTH,
    James

    "Jack Elvin" <nospam@nospam.mchsi.com> wrote in message
    > There is a program called Web-Search-Tools and includes a Search Assistant
    > ( http://www.win-tools.com ) that gets installed on my computer hard drive
    > via the internet. I do not want the program as it is very troublesome
    > (ads seem to come from it). When I go to Add-Remove Programs, I click on
    > Web-Search-Tools and Search Assistant and they will not remove. Please
    > help me get rid of this nuisance.
    > --
    > Sincerely,
    > Jack Nation

    Thanks to James and Frank. I have now ran AdAware, CWShredder, SpyBot and
    AVG virus tool. I will check it for awhile and see if it did the trick.
    --
    Sincerely,
    Jack Nation

    "J Stewart" <js7247@swbell.net> wrote in message
    > Jack,
    >
    > Just a thought, but it sounds like this may be some sort of spyware/adware
    > program. You can get two good spyware removal programs at:
    > www.lavasoft.de (ad-aware)
    > www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html (spybot search & destroy)
    > Both are free and very effective at removing such programs.
    > HTH,
    > James
    >
    > "Jack Elvin" <nospam@nospam.mchsi.com> wrote in message
    >> There is a program called Web-Search-Tools and includes a Search
    >> Assistant ( http://www.win-tools.com ) that gets installed on my computer
    >> hard drive via the internet. I do not want the program as it is very
    >> troublesome (ads seem to come from it). When I go to Add-Remove
    >> Programs, I click on Web-Search-Tools and Search Assistant and they will
    >> not remove. Please help me get rid of this nuisance.
    >> --
    >> Sincerely,
    >> Jack Nation

Windows XP