Core 2 Duo WILL boot to Vista, NOT XP

hawesn

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
Hi all. I'm a newbie poster but need some help.

I just finished building a new computer with an Intel MOBO (D946GZIS) and Core 2 Duo (E6300). I'm using my old Seagate HD (250 GB SATA) that has two partions: one for XP Home and one for Vista RC1.

Here's where it gets interesting. It will boot just fine to Vista. However it will not boot to XP. I get a blue screen after a few seconds into the boot sequence. I've updated the MOBO to the latest Bios and I've tried booting in Safe mode.

Any ideas?

hawesn

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
XP was installed first.

By the way, before doing this build (with my old MOBO and CPU) the dual boot worked fine. I could boot to either OS.

The_OGS

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
before doing this build (with my old MOBO and CPU) the dual boot worked fine. I could boot to either OS.
LoL - you're joking right?
First you build the hardware, then you install OS!
You cannot run new hardware on a previous OS installation. (I thought this was common knowledge).
You will likely get a blue screen of death a few seconds into the boot sequence...
Each and every OS installation is individual and unique to your specific hardware, capish?
L8R

hawesn

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
Admittedly I'm pretty new to all this...

I did not perform a new instal of the OS after doing the build. But Vista still works.....

OK...I will reload XP....you learn something new everyday :)

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Thanks guys for staying up late and helping.

No big deal, it was The_OGS that really figured it out... I am running a tripple boot 2 partitions of XP and 1 of Vista 64 right now. I found the bootloader for Vista to be odd -- there is a nice program for Vista to work with this loader:

http://www.vistabootpro.org/

OT, but what hardware are you using to get vista x64 running? It ran fine for me in beta 2, but will not install in rc1. I'm trying to get a list of what works. (32 bit seems to run fine with almost any old bedpan...;_))

pete4r

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
before doing this build (with my old MOBO and CPU) the dual boot worked fine. I could boot to either OS.
You cannot run new hardware on a previous OS installation. (I thought this was common knowledge).
You will likely get a blue screen of death a few seconds into the boot sequence...
Each and every OS installation is individual and unique to your specific hardware, capish?
L8R

SPOT ON, only took JumpJack about half a day to spot the problem. Pro wannabes... :lol: :lol: :lol:

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
L8R

SPOT ON, only took JumpJack about half a day to spot the problem. Pro wannabes... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Your a Joke, JumpingJack is one of the THG's Older and More experienced Posters :D Even though Some people (including me) Have got into arguements and lil disagreements with Jack but we all knew that he's much more experienced and more qualified In computers thatn 70% of the fourm, And all along i still Respect Jack like a Bro or more like a Dad with what he says' because most of the time's he's Right or just busy with family life and things to be paying 120% attention to stupid things<
P.S Jack( I'll learn as much as it needs to be atleast an unbias hand to help the Older Fourm users, To help lessen the load)
[your still a sight for sore eyes for some of us Semi-experienced Users, amongst all these newbee 13 year old Fourm users with almost No useful information to contribute to posts]
Even though This Aussie has Come in and regestred after me But he's still a fourm regular and he's intresting to read

FLA94FD

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
L8R

That's pretty funny ridicule the guy and then over state your case.

I'm not new at this and can tell you that I haven't reinstalled my XP installation for 3 years. It was built on a gigabyte board w/ amd 2200+. Upgraded to Asus board w/ P4 3.2 478. Now currently running a E6600 w/ P5W. No OS re-installations at all. Now you may ask why, mainly because it worked, and saved time. Also because I know what I'm doing and can clean up the registry after the fact.

To the poster point.

1. See if you can boot XP in safe mode F8 from OS choice menu. If it boot it will try to install the drivers and correct the problem.

2. Not really sure how the Vista boot loader will handle reinstalling XP but there is a new build so you would want to reinstall it anyway.

Booting w/ a XP cd try and reinstall/repair the XP installation. This is not the ASR option, it will be just like installing the os. This will replace all the core files and drivers will preserving the installed apps.

I suspect that once you do this the Vista built loader will be gone. I really don't know because I haven't tried it. Besides there a new build of Vista out there.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Hi all. I'm a newbie poster but need some help.

I just finished building a new computer with an Intel MOBO (D946GZIS) and Core 2 Duo (E6300). I'm using my old Seagate HD (250 GB SATA) that has two partions: one for XP Home and one for Vista RC1.

Here's where it gets interesting. It will boot just fine to Vista. However it will not boot to XP. I get a blue screen after a few seconds into the boot sequence. I've updated the MOBO to the latest Bios and I've tried booting in Safe mode.

Any ideas?

Go into Vista, copy ntldr (show hidden and system files), boot.ini and ntdetect.com to a safe location.

Start a boot install of XP, choose repair. After setup finishes boot into XP and replace the ntldr, and ntdetect files in the C: drive. You may not even need to perform the last step. IF Vista really handled changing the HAL, I'm impressed. It may support the XP loader.

That would be cool since XP and 2000 had incompatible ntldr's. Vista is looking better now. I just need to get a new Start Bar.

Wow, talk about off topic.