Good mid-to-high level cards?

Alias

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2004
Building a new machine.
I was willing to shell-out for an X1950 to begin with, but local prices being around $700 really made a strong point against it. With DX10 cards getting closer now, I'm looking for a good card that will last me indefinitely, until I feel the need to upgrade generations or go SLI/CF. I've been considering the 7900GS, although I'm not actually sure how well an ASUS P5B Deluxe would support SLI, if at all. Would it be worth the extra 20-40 bucks to get an X1900GT 256mb? (the XT 256 doesn't seem to be available around here. Than again, I wasn't expecting to find the GS where I did.)
I'll still be using a 15" screen for the immediate future, though that should change as soon as I find a good offer.

X1900GT > GF7900GS for the most part.

Whether it's worth the money or not depends on your preferences in games, etc.

To get a better idea, look at the discussion of the GT vs GS in this thread and the related links. Be sure to read the whole thing because the initial comments didn't take into account what many of us already know about the GT/GS debate.

Both are solid cards though.

However depending on the price it might make more sense to buy a GF7600GT until the DX10 cards come down in price and then re-think the performance situation.

Also consider that with theG80 coming out in November, you'll see alot of the GF7900/X1900 prices coming down, so buying at this second might not be wise if you can wait at all.

Alias

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not really that concerned with DX10 chips atm. Whatever card I get, I'll probably be using for a good while yet. Unfortunately, I can't really wait for prices to drop; my computer has been getting by on its last dregs since late August, plus I won't have nearly as much time to dedicate to this in a month as I do right now.

Is the 1900GT really such a better performer? I've seen people rate it over the 7900GT. How distracting can the noise level really get? And again, is my prospective MB SLI compatible?

Is the 1900GT really such a better performer? I've seen people rate it over the 7900GT. How distracting can the noise level really get? And again, is my prospective MB SLI compatible?

Noise should rarely be a buying concern unless you're an uadio recorder or want an HTPC (which means get something like theX1600HDMI anyways).

While the GF7900GT and GS are louder than the X1900GT, I wouldn't pick one or the other based on that other than the examples I gave, and really the noise level differences between the two are kinda minor.

BTW, which did you think was louder? And how much does it matter to you anyways?

Alias

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2004

Noise should rarely be a buying concern unless you're an uadio recorder or want an HTPC (which means get something like theX1600HDMI anyways).

While the GF7900GT and GS are louder than the X1900GT, I wouldn't pick one or the other based on that other than the examples I gave, and really the noise level differences between the two are kinda minor.

BTW, which did you think was louder? And how much does it matter to you anyways?

The X1900's. I wouldn't have really cared, but it seemed to crop-up in enough reports to be worth clearing-up.

I went with the X1900GT, BTW.