Quality of 1 pass scans vs interpolated scans??

I need to make B & W scans at 1200 - 1600 DPI.

If a use a 600 DPI scanner, it has to make multiple passes ( and so is much
slower than a 1600 DPI scanner making one pass).

Will the quality of the final image be better or worse than a 1600 DPI
scanner making one pass?

Thanks,

Mark D. Fain

"Mark D. Fain" <fain@brightdsl.net> wrote in message
> I need to make B & W scans at 1200 - 1600 DPI.
>
> If a use a 600 DPI scanner, it has to make multiple passes ( and so is
much
> slower than a 1600 DPI scanner making one pass).
>
> Will the quality of the final image be better or worse than a 1600 DPI
> scanner making one pass?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark D. Fain

A 1200 dpi image will be far better on a 1600 dpi scanner than on a 600 dpi
scanner.

A 600 dpi scanner cannot scan at a higher resolution that 600 dpi, the rest
is interpolated. (Made up (created) pixels).

If you want actual 1200 dpi scans, then you must have a scanner with the
optical resolution of 1200 dpi or greater.

In the numbers game of scanners, the first number is the optical resolution.
The second number is the stepper motor resolution.

Check out www.scantips.com for information on scanners and scanning.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com