Help me OC my c2D system to max daily settings

morikal

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2006
I'm looking to use this system for 1.5 to 2 years, no more, and all of the components are expendable after that time... I'm having trouble finding safe temperature listings as many are too conservative in my opinion (and are meant to last for more than a year and a half of use)... my current overclock is listed below:

Case: Thermaltake Kandalf
Intake Fans: 2x 120 mm. 1 is silverstone 111 CFM, other maddog CFM unknown
Exhaust fans: 1 120 mm 111 CFM silverstone, 1 90 mm Thermaltake 97 CFM or so

PSU: OCZ GameXStream 700 W

MB: Asus P5B Deluxe bios version 0614 (tried latest beta, 0711, but oblivion got a few crashes with same settings as the 0614... the 0614 is prime stable for 12 hours running on both cores)

Processor: Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 9 * 360 (3.24 GHz)
HSF: Zalman CNPS 9500
TIM: Coollaboratory Liquid Cool (I really hope the heatspreader on top of the CPU isn't aluminum...)

Memory: Corsair XMS2 8500C5 at 1080 MHz 5-5-5-18. Subtimings available upon request. Using auto voltage in my MB and timings by SPD... if I change them to match MemSet's reported timings and a voltage of 2.25 it is unstable, so I'm not sure what is going on... but sandra is reporting 66 ns latency and 7000 MB/s bandwidth so good enough for stable operation at the moment

Graphics: EVGA's Nvidia 7950 GX2 @ 550/700. Having problems getting above that... at those clock speeds it gets to about 75 under load... at higher settings messes up before it even hits 65 (massive numbers of artifacts in counterstrike and in oblivion, the only games I have installed so far)

HDs: 2x Hitachi deskstar 160GB SATA-2, running AHCI mode. 1 is partitioned for the Cache, OS, and then other storage, the other drive is partitioned for Games, Apps, and then other storage (all seperate partitions, fastest/outermost partition listed first)
1x WD 90 GB IDE drive used for longer term storage

I want to be operational at max ambient temps of 25C, it will usually be below this though

Things I have tried:
I can get my RAM to boot at 1200 MHz with timings by spd and manual voltage as low as 2.25, but windows blue screens before loading. Tried up to 2.4 Vdimm, didn't want to go higher without input about safe daily voltages for this RAM if I only expect it to last 1.5 to 2 years
I also tried the loosest timings, but anytime I tried to set other than by SPD it won't even boot. At my current 1080 MHz and by spd it is memtest86+ stable for 15 hours (didn't fail at 15, just stopped running it)

I can boot into windows with my CPU doing 9 X 401 FSB (3.6 GHz), but immediate errors in prime, upped vcore to 1.55 and still errors immediately when running on both cores. Ran for a few minutes just fine on a single core at a time, didn't try longer since I already knew it was unstable.

What I would like to do is get about 3.6 MHz or more from my CPU for daily use, running my RAM as high as I can get it... the reason I am not just experimenting right now is that I don't know safe daily voltages for the RAM and CPU, and safe daily temps for the CPU. Keep in mind it only has to last up to 2 years

Thanks for any input. Also, anyone know of a softmod for EVGA 7950 GX2 to up the voltage?

morikal

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2006
I've been through the xs forums and the forums at various other overclocking sites...

I'm looking for more technically oriented articles, like
this one

And also some estimates from people with a lot of intel OC experience (I have been using AMD for the last 10 years, so...) on what my max temps under load can be if I want to have it survive for up to 2 years, 1.5 years minimum survival.

Also looking for how high I can pump my RAM voltage for daily use, again only needs to last 1.5 - 2 years...

I haven't seen temp and voltage estimates with the above in mind... I have seen people mostly say to keep your conroe under 60 for daily use, but I have also seen 70-75 being said is ok...

morikal

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2006
So if my max load right now for daily use is around 45-52 C (depends on room temp and what I'm doing), then my proc is probably not going to last 1.5 years?

What about daily volts into the RAM? 2.3V too high? Its rated for 2.2V